Apple TV should i get one?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there i am a bit of an Apple nut as i have a Mac and Iphone etc. I do use Itunes all the time and i am thinking about getting Apple TV. Is there anyone out here who has it and can advise whether it would be a good investment or not? I have a nice set up in my living room with my KEF speakers and the thought of playing my music through them sounds brill! but also to download HD movies and stream to my Plasma also sounds very tempting.

But what i need to know id what is the quality like  when watching a HD movie through Apple TV and how good does the music sounds when streaming through the Apple TV

Please advise! 

A

Anonymous

I bought my Apple TV in August and it is one of the best thing's i have bought! I started it on a Panasonic plasma 480 resolution via component and the quality was good but have now just upgraded to Sony 40W4500 and it just looks amazing!ÿ

Once you have done the initial sync everything loads up more or less instant! I think the HD movie quality is excellent and as is the HD TV shows - also if you use Imovie to edit home movies and photo's etc you can then store them on the Apple TV and watch.ÿ

ÿI think it also sounds brilliant as well - nice and clear.

if you have a lot of stuff i'd go for the 160gig modelÿ

A

Anonymous

thanks for the info i think you might of sold it to me!

How easy is it to set up?

Also on itunes i see they now have lots of movies to buy and rent but how can i tell if they are HD or not?ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Very Easy just plug it in and then you enter your router details and then select search apple TV from Itune's and away you go.

ÿThe search menu is a little bit better on Apple TV as you can search by HD product.ÿ

ÿalso the best thing to do is sign up for a USA iTunes account as they have hundreds of films and TV to choose from! and all the latest TV shows.

I think it's just a really attractive way to get your music and photo's in your living room! ÿ

A

Anonymous

good idea about the US itunes store as i think stuff is cheaper on there! but how do you do that as it won't let me buy anything from US itunes as it says i am a UK customer! so how do i set up a US itunes account?

A

Anonymous

The best thing i would suggest for you is to googe "iTunes USA account in Uk" and go with the whichever you feel hapy with.

You will need to open a new american email account i.e yahoo.com- and then you just need to buy a itunes gift card from america.

You can get these from ebay orÿwww.itunesplanet.comÿbut if i was you i would try and collect when on holiday over there or get someone to pick up for me.

when you do your research you will see that loads of people are doing all over the world! as the itunes USA is miles aheadÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks!

But just a few questions before i try to do t

1. How does this effect my music / tv shows i already have on my itunes / iphone? will it mean that if i download say a film from US itunes that i will go straight into my itunes i have on my mac or will i have to have 2 sperate itunes?

2. If i do have to have 2 seperate Itunes that would then mean i won't be able to sync my iphone with both?

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Well to be honest I think that once you are up and running you will buy less from the UK account.

I have the UK and USA account and it doesn't matter - if I bought something from UK store and then i'm logged into USA account i can still listen to the UK product. whichever account you DL from it is organized directly into your itune's music folder and you can listen to at anytime. is that what you are asking?

Also any purchases you make directly off the Apple TV can be transferred to you Mac upstairs etc. and the other cool thing - say you Dl a film on mac and get halfway thru but then have to *** out you can then transfer to your iPhone and watch the rest while out and about!

ÿit's a very cool set-up! ÿ

A

Anonymous

So all my downloaded music which is on my itunes will still be seen and heard if i open up a US itunes account. So basically it does not matter whether i am logged onto my US or Uk itunes all my downloaded music will show on my itunes yeah

A

Anonymous

I debated for a long time deciding between bluray and Apple TV and decided to go Bluray for now, Apple TV is nearly there and IMHO is the future, drawbacks at moment though, there is very limited selection of HD content and what there is is limited to 1080i, download times, movies can take 5 hours plus to download for HD start thinking overnight! you can't rent all content, only buy. also £270 for 160gb (which by the way is actually only 144gb) sounds alot to me.

Having said all that I've been less than impressed with Bluray, looks like they're doing the QC in our homes, judging by all the firmware updates.ÿ

If you do get Apple TV put up some posts on how you find it.ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Yep Andy that is correct! now go forth and buy!

I haven't had the problem's that AC Milan mentions -

TV shows are available to watch pretty much instantly

The same goes non HD movies

HD content does take longer but I would say 30 mins before i can start watching.

I originally tried to stream my music via Xbox 360 but it is terrible for organiziation and slow where as the Apple TV organizes everything in a brilliant way.

I think the Apple TV is just stunning to look at on screen and browse music etc.

Once you get Itune's US sorted you will def be impressed. there hundred's of films to chose from. plus all Tv Shows 6 months before available in UK

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I have been downloading tv shows (1hr long) and it takes less than a minute from when i click download to when i can press play so don't think a 2hr movie will suddenly start to take 5hrs!

But I am now even more tempted as i think i can sign upto a US itunes store meaning £1.50 movie rentals! and also loads more choice of both films and HD

A

Anonymous

You must have a very good broadband connection, on the HD issue though you'd expect new titles such as Ironman to be available in HD and on UK itunes it's not, might be different on US itunes though.

A

Anonymous

yes let us know how you get on with setting up the US account -ÿ

ÿAC Milan - have a go at setting up the US account and you would enjoy it more. plus the rentals would be cheaper than going to blockbuster.

ÿThe other thing that would put the cost into perspective is that the Apple TV is about the same price as docks for the ipod's!ÿÿ

ÿÿ

A

Anonymous

Yeah the US itunes account is prob what I should do. One question though my macbook pro is 80GB, how does it reference the Apple TV which is 160GB ie how will it sync when the content on the Apple TV is more than can be held on computer harddrive?

A

Anonymous

well it can only sync with what is there on your mac pro so it shouldn't be a problem.

I bought mine at Apple store and they say you can return it within 14 days if you are unhappy for ÿany reason.ÿ

you could also pick up the 24inch iMac as well ÿ!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts