apple tv questions

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
1- i take it you can have your wireless laptop at one side of the living room and with a apple tv put an optical to my dac-magic to play itunes.

2- can it send apple lossless to the apple tv?

3-can you send spotify to the apple tv?

4-with no display on the apple tv and no tv involved could i pull up the display on the laptop and use that as the remote to the appletv next to hifi.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks, the mrs want to get something to rent films upstairs and i could use the apple tv mainly and once a week take it upstairs to rent a film, but its the display thing thats getting me. i want to sit at laptop browsing and control spotify/itunes there and something pick it up and feed the dac-magic

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
daveh75:Yes, yes, yes (with Airfoil) and no, but why not use an Airport Express instead, if you have no intention of connecting to a TV?

Yes, yes, yes (with Airfoil) and Yes

As long as the TV and PC on the same network You can see the TV as an external speaker selectable in iTunes on the bottom right of the screen just select it and audio is streamed from the PC to the TV or Airport Express if you went for one (I have and AE and Old TV).

Also if you have an iPhone, iTouch or iPad running iOS 4.2 you can stream from one of those to a new TV or Airport Express.

daveh75

pwiles1968:
daveh75:Yes, yes, yes (with Airfoil) and no, but why not use an Airport Express instead, if you have no intention of connecting to a TV?

As long as the TV and PC on the same network You can see the TV as an external speaker selectable in iTunes on the bottom right of the screen just select it and audio is streamed from the PC to the TV or Airport Express if you went for one (I have and AE and Old TV).

Also if you have an iPhone, iTouch or iPad running iOS 4.2 you can stream from one of those to a new TV or Airport Express.
But you still need a TV to initially set the ATV up, and you can't pull up the ATV display on the laptop, like the OP asked, which is what i was getting at.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
PWILES1968

Thats a great tip about finding apple tv in the bottom right hand corner of itunes as it had me stumped why i could not click on a song in itunes and hear it on my hifi....Thanks mate and thanks what hifi for providing a forum for us to use, its very handy for people like me who find computer related things a little confusing

Regards....ian

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
daveh75:pwiles1968:

But you still need a TV to initially set the ATV up, and you can't pull up the ATV display on the laptop, like the OP asked, which is what i was getting at.

Sorry you are correct you would initially need it connected to a TV to set it up, once set up however you don't need a TV on to select music to play (Call it a draw shall we).

Biggus - Glad I can be of some help, that is what forms are for.

TRENDING THREADS