Apple TV audio - HDMI vs optical?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi

What's going to give me better audio quality from an Apple TV to my Yamaha amp - HDMI or and optical digital cable?

(I appreciate that I ultimately want a DAC and for audio to go straight to the Naim amp but am restrained by budget!)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
as far as i know, the appletv resamples audio to 48khz through optical but not through hdmi, so only hdmi will give bitperfect audio. subjectively, you might notice no difference.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
roger06:
That's interesting...

Does that mean when I get a DAC I need one with an HDMI input?

No, that's daft isn't it? as I'll need the HDMI for video output...

John Duncan

And I can't think of any DACs with an HDMI input. TBH I'd worry less about the quality of the DAC, which ought to be reasonable in an AV receiver - YMMV - and more about the quality of the amplification, which can sometimes be a bit suboptimal (though some are better than others at doing music).

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi John

Yeah - not heard of an HDMI DAC either! I think temporary insanity set in and I was thinking USB.
emotion-7.gif

Are you saying don't use the Yamaha amp? I'm thinking that too - hence if I get a DAC I can plug it straight into the Nait5i which I'm sure will be better.

I've just been giving it a whirl this evening and it sounds pretty good. Not up there with my all-Naim affair but so great to be able to flick through all those CDs I'd forgotten I have...

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Is the AV and Naim Kit in the same room, Do you have a pre out of the AV amp you can feed in to the Naim Kit and just use the Yamaha as a DAC? Technically speaking the AV amp is a HDMI DAC
emotion-1.gif

Sorry if this is how you are already set up.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Yes, all the kit is together. The Yam does have pre outs to the Naim which powers the L&R speakers for 2 channel and home cinema.

So yes, the Yamie is effectively a DAC - but I wonder how it compares with a dedicated unit such as a DagMagic or rDAC...

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Ok you probably already have a really decent sounding sytem even without a glass of red, I honestly think you would need a home demo to see if you could get any improvement, my gut feeling would be that it would be subtle unless you spent a decent amount on a DAC. There are some Nice DAC's coming out over the next few months up to around £500 it may be worth looking about and getting a home demo, Keep an eye out for some DAC's from Audiolab which will be developments based on the ones in the 8200 CD, believe they are unveiling them at CES.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Yes Paul - I think you're 100% on that.

I'm getting slowly seduced by my streaming set up. I've just spent 20 quid on AirFoil so I can now stream Spotify to the system as well. All so simple.

And I'm loving going through my back catalogue - can't say I've listened to Dear Prudence by the Banshees, or Bad Time for Bonzo by The Damned in decades!
emotion-2.gif

And yes I agree - a DacMagic or rDAC might not make a jot of difference so would need to demo. I can't beleive I'm writing this but I'm even thinking of selling the CD player! It's in mint condition so I'd probably get 500 quid for it so that could fund a quality DAC.

Now if I had £2k for the Naim DAC...
emotion-9.gif
(hey, I'm sure I could sell a kidney?)

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat converted to streaming over summer and the only time my CD player has been turned on since was when my daughter put pop party 8 in there, came home to hear JLS playing on my main HiFi the thought of it send a shiver down my spine as I type
emotion-1.gif

I have a AV amp feeding Mono-Blocks to drive the front speaker's so i'm looking at putting in a DAC/Preamp and possibly a Power Amp
emotion-3.gif
, auditioning soon.

TRENDING THREADS