Apple takeover of Tidal?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Interesting yes.

Potential Positives;

Stronger likelihood of long-term investment. They might keep their CEO's longer than 5 minutes. A Home Page less dominated by rap and boxing(!!!?).

Apple does tend to spend more effort on the user interface. Tidal has improved of late, but there's still very little personalisation in terms of the recommendations it makes compared to Spotify. So if Apple deal with that, all well and good.

Potential Negatives;

Traditionally Apple haven't been that fussed about bitrates, more the mainstream. So will they continue the endeavour into MQA & High-Res streaming which I personally think could be very exciting, or will they just buy it and kill it?

As a Tidal subscriber, I watch with interest.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If Apple Music had been successful, I doubt they'd be in talks for TIDAL. To me, that points to it not performing as Apple had expected, so the solution to that is buy out the competition and gain subscribers.

I'm just glad my music collection (CD and vinyl) is growing, so I can listen to anything I want to listen to at any time, and it'll be the best quality available.

manicm

David@FrankHarvey said:
If Apple Music had been successful, I doubt they'd be in talks for TIDAL. To me, that points to it not performing as Apple had expected, so the solution to that is buy out the competition and gain subscribers.

I'm just glad my music collection (CD and vinyl) is growing, so I can listen to anything I want to listen to at any time, and it'll be the best quality available.

Apple Music now has 15 million PAYING subscibers, if that's not successful I don't know what is. They're probably negotiating to buy out Tidal at a bargain price - I don't see the latter breaking even currently. They have grown their subscriber base to around 3 million though, which is a decent number for a cd+ quality service. Maybe Apple sees potential there, and anyway Apple are not stupid - if their own service was not a success they would not jump from the pan to the fire.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Potential = Profit

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Apple are looking into this potential for anyone but themselves...

Apple is a for-profits company. - Why else would they be interested? Indeed why would any company be into something like this if not for themselves?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This tells me two (three) things;

The uncertainties of cloud based music services ... Tidal will now never support google's chromecast audio ... and the importance of hard copy music, or at least the importance of actually owning it in the long term, however one wants to accomplish that.

drummerman said:
This tells me two (three) things;

The uncertainties of cloud based music services ... Tidal will now never support google's chromecast audio ... and the importance of hard copy music, or at least the importance of actually owning it in the long term, however one wants to accomplish that.

Agreed, I'd never rely solely on streaming, although I do use it. Hi-res downloads or physical media are more my cup of tea.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Worrying as i'm a big fan of Tidal - if it happens I hope they don't fcuk with the formula too much. Agree with what's been said on previous posts and I too still buy vinyl, cd's and download just in case the cloud ever blows away......

knaithrover said:
Worrying as i'm a big fan of Tidal - if it happens I hope they don't fcuk with the formula too much. Agree with what's been said on previous posts and I too still buy vinyl, cd's and download just in case the cloud ever blows away......

To me Apple has decided that ALAC is all you'll ever need and have the clout to buy up and decimate everything else. Be aware, be very aware.... cos they are going very awry.

daveh75

Apple decided long ago that AAC @ 256k is all you'll ever need, and don't care about ALAC in the slightest hence them open sourcing it years ago.

Anyone hoping Apple won't mess with Tidal if they buy it, is frankly either deluded or hasn't been paying attention.

Tidal will be assimilated into Apple Music and simply cease to be.

Paul.

daveh75 said:
Apple decided long ago that AAC @ 256k is all you'll ever need, and don't care about ALAC in the slightest hence them open sourcing it years ago.

Anyone hoping Apple won't mess with Tidal if they buy it, is frankly either deluded or hasn't been paying attention.

Tidal will be assimilated into Apple Music and simply cease to be.

dunno about that, with Apple margin is king. I can see Apple Music and Apple Music Pro being introduced at a higher price teir. They typically pretend a market has no interest to them until it's big enough, the question is is the market no big enough?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts