News Apple Music Lossless, Atmos and Spacial

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
Apple overnight has started adding Lossless and High Res Lossless to Apple Music in the UK. I’m seeing it on my iPhone 8 but not my iPad Air 2 yet. Moby’s latest has Atmos, too

B277F704-C1F3-43DE-A685-DDF3F8225388.png

Attachments

• AA87D94B-0076-45F8-A46F-6396B2C009EE.png
    AA87D94B-0076-45F8-A46F-6396B2C009EE.png
    321.1 KB · Views: 7

Jonslb

Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
Working for me on apple airpods max using the apple playlist example of ‘Marvin Gaye from mono to spatial to stereo’ . Remember to turn on spatial audio under Bluetooth controls and turn on atmos In Apple Music settings. What’s more if I airplay 2 this to stereo Sonos one speakers spatial audio appears to be working there too! Certainly sounds completely different to the stereo track. I’m going to explore use of the Sonos app next.

(post note - it seems that ATMOS is live and working for me for Apple Music, but maybe not spatial for Apple Music - or at least I can hear very different, and generally very good, mixes for the highlighted tracks in Apples playlists).

Last edited:

kupepemac

Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
I mean the right icon on my screenshot should be animated when Spatial Audio is working "correctly". If you try one of the intro video like "Behind the sound with Masego" you will see the animation. It doesn't work for me in music..

IMG_3841.PNG

Jonslb

Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
hi Kupepemac, yes I can see the animation for both airpods max and pro - by animation I mean its blue and you can turn on and off. Just tried pros as well and they're working too. Since you can't see the animation it doesn't seem like an ios version or apple music issue. I hate to say it but 'off and on' ?

kupepemac

Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
The animation of the Spatial Audio icon only appears when I see a video I never see it moving in music. I suppose they need to push some other update to fix something etc...

Jonslb

Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
I searched on this after and you are correct - this is the same for me. I now wonder if, for Apple Music, ATMOS is live but SPATIAL is not. Macrumors noted the following posting from apple today (I've underlined part of this release):

'We are excited to announce that spatial audio with dynamic head tracking is coming to Apple Music in the fall. Dynamic head tracking creates an even more immersive experience for spatial audio. It brings music to life by delivering sound that dynamically adjusts as you turn your head. And you can experience spatial audio with dynamic head tracking on AirPods Pro and AirPods Max with a compatible iPhone or iPad.'

MacRumors also note that there is a update for the Airpods max today to 3E756 firmware. No news on what the firmware does yet though, but maybe could support an upgrade allowing Spatial support for the Apple Music format as well as video, but if that's the case how can they say the format works with all headphones. I'm keeping an eye on the firmware.

Reactions: kupepemac

Tinman1952

Well I signed up for a month’s trial and tried several new release albums today on my iPad. Music stops after 15 seconds and error message ‘content no longer available‘ (!) Pathetic…… 😣

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
Well I signed up for a month’s trial and tried several new release albums today on my iPad. Music stops after 15 seconds and error message ‘content no longer available‘ (!) Pathetic…… 😣
🤔 I’ve been playing AM Lossless all day on iPad, iPhone and MacBook Air and not a single problem. I’ve tried a few 24/96 recordings through my wired DAC/B&W P7 and they we’re indistinguishable from Qobuz. My main listening will be 24/44 Lossless, much like it was on my (now cancelled) Qobuz

Last edited:

Tinman1952

🤔 I’ve been playing AM Lossless all day on iPad, iPhone and MacBook Air and not a single problem. I’ve tried a few 24/96 recordings through my wired DAC/B&W P7 and they we’re indistinguishable from Qobuz. My main listening will be 24/44 Lossless, much like it was on my (now cancelled) Qobuz
Glad you have been successful. I tried my Apple TV 4K and that works fine…even Atmos! But of course everything currently gets resampled to 48KHz….
Have since realised my 3 year old iPad is too old for Apple Lossless/Hi-res 😕 so I’ll stick with Amazon Music which gives me 24/192 on the same device! 👍

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
Glad you have been successful. I tried my Apple TV 4K and that works fine…even Atmos! But of course everything currently gets resampled to 48KHz….
Have since realised my 3 year old iPad is too old for Apple Lossless/Hi-res 😕 so I’ll stick with Amazon Music which gives me 24/192 on the same device! 👍
My iPad is six years old. Mind you, I haven’t anything I listen to available as 24/192 and I’m happy enough with 24/44

Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

My iPad is six years old. Mind you, I haven’t anything I listen to available as 24/192 and I’m happy enough with 24/44
Found quite a few people online having the same problem I did with playback stopping after 15 seconds. The trick was to sign out of your Apple ID and sign back in again….. 🤔 Seems to have worked for me…in case any others have this problem 🤞Mine is iPad gen 5 from 2017 🙂

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
Found quite a few people online having the same problem I did with playback stopping after 15 seconds. The trick was to sign out of your Apple ID and sign back in again….. 🤔 Seems to have worked for me…in case any others have this problem 🤞Mine is iPad gen 5 from 2017 🙂
I had similar issues with Qobuz at maximum res. I had to clear my Mac’s cache regularly and kept an eye on RAM resources. I think high res lossless files will seriously test some folks’ equipment

manicm

John Darko confirmed my suspicions about this - it’s a major PIA to stream AM hires onto a hifi. Unless Apple offer a proper ‘connect’ app ala Spotify and Tidal.

Until then they can KMA. I’ll be happy with Spotify Hifi when it launches.

Strongly suggest you watch Darko’s video.

Reactions: bristollinnet

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
John Darko confirmed my suspicions about this - it’s a major PIA to stream AM hires onto a hifi. Unless Apple offer a proper ‘connect’ app ala Spotify and Tidal.

Until then they can KMA. I’ll be happy with Spotify Hifi when it launches.

Strongly suggest you watch Darko’s video.
I’ve watched it already. I’m no audiophile obsessive looking for bit-for-bit perfection, I’m more than happy with 24/44 or even 16/44. Delighted to see Apple and Spotify upping their game for their customers. There’ll always be enthusiasts who want more and spend (a lot) more. I’m it one of them

manicm

I’ve watched it already. I’m no audiophile obsessive looking for bit-for-bit perfection, I’m more than happy with 24/44 or even 16/44. Delighted to see Apple and Spotify upping their game for their customers. There’ll always be enthusiasts who want more and spend (a lot) more. I’m it one of them

If I’m playing any hires I want it bit perfect, otherwise why bother? May as well stick to mp3 then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts