Apple Lossless on iPod?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone might be able to offer some advice, please? I currently own an iPod Classic 120GB and all of my music is stored as 256kbps AAC files on it. However, I'm hoping to upgrade my iPod dock to something like a B&W Zeppelin Mini and was wondering if it would be worth re-importing the tracks from CD to Apple Lossless format?

I seem to remember reading that this would be a good idea in What Hi-Fi on a couple of occasions, but after checking online to see that I'd read correctly, I came across this website (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=85227), which seems to say that this isn't a good idea for iPods due to battery life and so on. I'd be really grateful if anyone has any experience of this and could please advise me what to do? Many thanks.

Messiah

Personally I would re-rip the CDs.

However, you could re-rip a few tracks and then do a comparison between them and decide if you think it is worth doing the rest.

As for battery life, the iPod will be docked and charging so this should not be an issue.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That's a link to a very outdated piece of advice...

I use/have used Apple Lossless files on a range of iPods and never suffered from poor battery life - but i have enjoyed noticeably better performance over 256kbps files

A

Anonymous

Hi there can anyone confirm if i can convert tracks already in my Itunes to lossless? i seem to remember i could do it in the past but can't seem to find how to do it anymore or maybe its been removed since i updated Itunes?

Advice very welcome!

Andy

Messiah

If they are already in an lossy format you can convert it to lossless but there will be no point as it will not improve it. Once the 'bits' are gone, they're gone.

You would need to re-rip into lossless.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
I use a 120GB in the car - don't know what the know-all on MacRumours is on about - when I listen to a Genius mix or Shuffle, the difference in SQ 'tween AAC and ALAC is very pronounced, even more so when listening via Klipsch X10s.

IME, ALAC has no effect on battery life.

Also, only just learnt that it's not possible to overcharge an Apple device's rechargeable battery, so - contrary to urban/forum myth(s) - it's OK to charge iPhones etc overnight and leave an iPod hooked up to a car's ICE. But it's still best to often let the battery drain to c. 80%, then recharge. And once a month, use all the battery's juice/recharge.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I would get the Dock first and Test the lossless and 256 Back to back and see if you can hear a difference, While it is possible to hear the difference on a good enough system I do not know how much extra you will get from a dock even the Zeppelin as good as it is.

If you can hear a difference I am afraid you will need to re-rip all your CD's again to get them in to lossless which Is why I would be having a listen first.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
6th.replicant:Also, only just learnt that it's not possible to overcharge an Apple device's rechargeable battery, so - contrary to urban/forum myth(s) - it's OK to charge iPhones etc overnight and leave an iPod hooked up to a car's ICE.

Do not disagree, but it is still always a good idea to use the battery when you can, if the battery is forever on a dock or on power it will gradually loose the ability to provide current, Newer batteries are better bus still need cycling (occasional Discharge and charge) to be at their best.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
pwiles1968:
6th.replicant:Also, only just learnt that it's not possible to overcharge an Apple device's rechargeable battery, so - contrary to urban/forum myth(s) - it's OK to charge iPhones etc overnight and leave an iPod hooked up to a car's ICE.

Do not disagree, but it is still always a good idea to use the battery when you can, if the battery is forever on a dock or on power it will gradually loose the ability to provide current, Newer batteries are better bus still need cycling (occasional Discharge and charge) to be at their best.

Indeed, thanks for reminder.
emotion-21.gif

Have amended post.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts