Apple iPhone SE Audio Quality

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Just read WHF new iPhone SE review.. scroll down to audio section: WHF say -
" Audio lacks in dynamics and subtlety"
rang my mate to come for a cup if tea with his 6 +.. uploaded same music on both phones, connected to audio switch box, hit play ( headphones from soundmagic and sennheiser) and no difference. nothing, null. zero.

well done WHF *mail1*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:

rang my mate to come for a cup if tea with his 6 +.. uploaded same music on both phones, connected to audio switch box, hit play ( headphones from soundmagic and sennheiser) and no difference. nothing, null. zero.

well done WHF *mail1*

I read that review just now and assumed they meant the sound quality through the iPhone's built-in speaker.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:

well done WHF *mail1*
I read online somewhere else
That the iphone 6 was very good quality.

TrevC

Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

well done WHF *mail1*
I read online somewhere else That the iphone 6 was very good quality.

WHF reviews are nonsense.

K

keeper of the quays

I heard it's dac is superb..all apple stuff is esp good with music..well nearly all..im not convinced that my iPod shuffle sounds up to much through hifi..ok on earpods though.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

well done WHF *mail1*
I read online somewhere else That the iphone 6 was very good quality.

WHF reviews are nonsense.

indeed.. but I wanted to see my mate anyway

I have been using a 64GB iPhone5s (on the go) for the last couple years as my main music source. I have had a few different over ears's as well as some lower impedance IEM's in this time.

Then the iPhone SE came out, I dropped $750cdn on a high capacity unit to replace my 5s and ended up returning it in 2 days. The iPhone SE sounds great as a line source but when headphones are connected, especially those of lower impedances, it struggles noticably with dynamics and balance....the instruments sound crammed together. In my experience testing stereo equipment over the years, I have to say the 5s had a much better amplifier....It sounded powerful and engaging with fast attack, even with low impedance headphones. On the SE these qualities are not outstanding at best....and a huge disappointment for any audiophile because it's otherwise a way better phone in every other way.

manicm

Michael Delaney said:
I have been using a 64GB iPhone5s (on the go) for the last couple years as my main music source. I have had a few different over ears's as well as some lower impedance IEM's in this time.

Then the iPhone SE came out, I dropped $750cdn on a high capacity unit to replace my 5s and ended up returning it in 2 days. The iPhone SE sounds great as a line source but when headphones are connected, especially those of lower impedances, it struggles noticably with dynamics and balance....the instruments sound crammed together. In my experience testing stereo equipment over the years, I have to say the 5s had a much better amplifier....It sounded powerful and engaging with fast attack, even with low impedance headphones. On the SE these qualities are not outstanding at best....and a huge disappointment for any audiophile because it's otherwise a way better phone in every other way.

I agree with you 100%, by selling an iPhone nearly as powerful as the 6s at such a reduced price something had to give - and my guess is they installed an inferior dac to the 6S.

I am planning to get an SE, but have no delusions about sound quality after what you confirmed. Well a tossup between the SE and Sony's forthcoming Xperia X - that should have great sound quality. Still don't like Android though.

Paul.

Odd thing is, the teardowns on ifixit and chipworks have revealed the same silicon as the 6s when it comes to audio. It definitely has the same cirrus dac as the 6s.

My wife is replacing her 5c with an SE next month, will Compare to my 6+ then.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
most people when comparing cheaper unit with dearer in a sight test go for dearer and call it better.. get yourself instant switch box, match audio replay levels, hide the phones under cloth and check again.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
most people when comparing cheaper unit with dearer in a sight test go for dearer and call it better.. get yourself instant switch box, match audio replay levels, hide the phones under cloth and check again.

Of course you are 100% correct but just found the thought of a switch box to test the audio quality of a cell phone funny.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
andrew,

do not underestimate iPhone as a serious audio player and once you have that audio switch box it's easy to plug and play :)

K

keeper of the quays

lpv said:
andrew,

do not underestimate iPhone as a serious audio player and once you have that audio switch box it's easy to plug and play :)
iPod touch four is pretty good too...what does this box do?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
it is a box with inputs/ outputs and a switch for instant no delay switching between two components. if you look at ' harbeth user group' you'll find all the information how to build one.. to compare two components you also need to match volume levels of the two as if it's not matched you'll favour louder over the quieter.

once you have it all in place you can start comparing audio components more objectively and be less exposed to BS

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
it is a box with inputs/ outputs and a switch for instant no delay switching between two components. if you look at ' harbeth user group' you'll find all the information how to build one.. to compare two components you also need to match volume levels of the two as if it's not matched you'll favour louder over the quieter. 

once you have it all in place you can start comparing audio components more objectively and be less exposed to BS

Demos for sure - good idea
Did you build one or buy one?
Would be good when comparing amps/speakers

K

keeper of the quays

lpv said:

I will look at that, I'm quite interested in things like this..to be honest loudness finds no favour with me..and I also think all the opinions on flac, wav lossless and whatever else..is a nonsense and the proper application of amplifier makes the greatest difference..I'm currently thinking about this and I have a theory? All drawing board stuff at the moment! I need electronics expertise which I don't have..but I won't let it be too much of a hindrance! Lol..I'll keep bashing my head against wall!! I will get through it eventually..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts