Apple enters the streaming fray

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
As a non-technical user, there is real merit in sticking with one supplier and their eco system.

My Wife is Apple all the way - phone, ipad, macbook, imac - everything works together, is generally stable and reliable. Itunes is pretty seamless, the Appstore works and if there are problems, support is pretty good.

This comes at a cost. The devices themselves are expensive, and generally don't offer the best performance or latest features. My Wife doesn't care, she just wants it all to work. Having a streaming service integrated within this ecosystem will suit her just fine. My guess is there are millions of Apple customers just like her, and this is why the service will do well.

I have a hodgepodge of Linux servers, Spotify, Sonos, legacy Squeezebox, Windows PCs, laptops, and a macbook. Vodafone signal boosters, SkyHD box, IP cameras. Everything sitting on my home network, nothing quite works properly, everything is just a little bit flaky and needs care and maintenance to keep it working. Change one thing and the whole house of cards comes crashing down. There is a certain appeal to having someone else worry about the compatability of all the boxes.

A

Anderson

I have an iPhone 6 but I run it as a Google phone in that I use only Google services to get the most out of it. I always tell people my iPhone ha been my favourite Google phone ever.

Having said that though I'm definitely going to give this a try, you get 3 months free and you. Can probably instantly cancel the trial but continue with the free service. Google Music is good for predicting music you like, it's scary how right it can be sometimes. If Apple Music doesn't do any predictions or good recommendations then I'll stick with Google Music.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Anderson said:
I have an iPhone 6 but I run it as a Google phone in that I use only Google services to get the most out of it. I always tell people my iPhone ha been my favourite Google phone ever.

Having said that though I'm definitely going to give this a try, you get 3 months free and you. Can probably instantly cancel the trial but continue with the free service. Google Music is good for predicting music you like, it's scary how right it can be sometimes. If Apple Music doesn't do any predictions or good recommendations then I'll stick with Google Music.

The big problem with Google is Privacy. They track your every move and mine all your data. They know more about you than you do, simply to better target adverts at you. If you're comfortable about a for-profits company having access to all that possibly sensitive information, that's fine.

Frankly I'm not. I think it's egregious and creepy.

With Google you are the product.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Anderson said:

The big problem with Google is Privacy. They track your every move and mine all your data. They know more about you than you do, simply to better target adverts at you. If you're comfortable about a for-profits company having access to all that possibly sensitive information, that's fine.

Adblock works really well I don't get any adverts.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Wonder if they will fcuk it up as badly as they did with iTunes Radio that we didn't even get. And no I'm not an Apple hater, 3/4 of the tech in this house is Apple based. But equally, I do have my eyes fairly wide open.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Infiniteloop said:
Anderson said:

Perhaps not, but Google is still mining as much of your data as they can lay their hands on whilst you're using their 'free' services.

If you use Gmail, they even scan your email to learn as much as they can about you (even if an incoming email is not from a GMail server).

They collect information on what you buy, which sites you visit, where you are, who you are connected with and all connections between.

Totally creepy.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
BigH said:
Infiniteloop said:
Anderson said:

Perhaps not, but Google is still mining as much of your data as they can lay their hands on whilst you're using their 'free' services.

If you use Gmail, they even scan your email to learn as much as they can about you (even if an incoming email is not from a GMail server).

They collect information on what you buy, which sites you visit, where you are, who you are connected with and all connections between.

Totally creepy.

Maybe but I don't use Gmail, never could get on with it. If I can't see any adverts then it does not really bother me. I use an ipad as well, well not for this site because its almost unusuable, but that is full of adverts but then I don't have google on that. These yank companies are all at it, Google, Apple, Amazon.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Why does it worry people that they 'target' the adverts to you?

Surely an advert linked to your needs is better than a random one. It also means the services they offer are relevant.

I think Google are an amazing company who have offered us really useful services for no cost other than adverts (which we would get anyway from somebody).

If you use Google search, Google Maps, Gmail etc as much as I do then I think it's great deal <sinister voice on>unless of course you have something to hide<sinister voice off>.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
According to a piece in the Grauniad today Spotify have just received a big new wodge of funding and are gearing up for a fight with Apple.

But given that Spotify are still losing money, it's hard to see how they can win this one. Also Apple will have worldwide coverage as soon as they open their service, whereas Spotify is still limited to a fairly small number of countries.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
According to a piece in the Grauniad today Spotify have just received a big new wodge of funding and are gearing up for a fight with Apple.

But given that Spotify are still losing money, it's hard to see how they can win this one. Also Apple will have worldwide coverage as soon as they open their service, whereas Spotify is still limited to a fairly small number of countries.

Yes but Apple are not so common in Europe and Far East, what is % of Mac computers to Windows outside the USA?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
matt49 said:

Yes but Apple are not so common in Europe and Far East, what is % of Mac computers to Windows outside the USA?

Apple's potential 'reach' with their new streaming service includes iPhones, iPads, iPod Touches, Apple Watches etc. as well as just Mac computers.

I wouldn't be suprised if they make it compatible with Windows PCs/laptops (just as iTunes is now and will need to remain so) in which case their respective market share in desktop/laptop hardware will be moot.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
BigH said:
matt49 said:

Apple's potential 'reach' with their new streaming service includes iPhones, iPads, iPod Touches, Apple Watches etc. as well as just Mac computers.

I wouldn't be suprised if they make it compatible with Windows PCs/laptops (just as iTunes is now and will need to remain so) in which case their respective market share in desktop/laptop hardware will be moot.

they already are, PC compatible at launch, android shortly after, this from WHF news section

'Apple Music is launching on 30th June on Apple devices and PCs with a free three-month trial. It will cost £9.99 per month and will be available from the end of June as part of iOS 8.4. An Android app will follow in the autumn'

i'm not sure of this, I am an Apple user with iMac, iPad, iPhone. I will certainly try it but it won't be for me unless it becomes available on other platforms such as Squeezebox, Sonos, Cambridge/Pioneer etc streamers. I have a Squeezebox and am happy using Spotify through that. I won't be paying for two services. But I feel those into hifi and think like me will be in the minority's, Apple have a huge user base already built in and if it syncs with people's own music collections held in iTunes i feel they are more likely to use Apple than one of the others.

iMark

We've been subscribers to Spotify Premium since 2010. We use it on a couple of Macs and iPads. We use Airfoil to stream Spotify to the Airport Express which is connected to the DAC. We are very happy with the sound quality.

What I really like about Spotify is the incredible library of classical music. Quite a few classical CDs that are out of print are in the Spotify library for example 4 CDs with Mozart Piano Concertos by Richard Goode and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra on Nonesuch Records. Great recordings but I missed their releases around the year 2000. What I really don't like about the library is the tagging of tracks in classical music. I grew up with classical music so I know my way around composers and artists and if I don't find the recording I'm looking for, I will use different search options. But the library really needs sorting out and should use standardized tags. The record companies are to blame but Spotify could correct this mess.

Spotify also has a great library of jazz music.

I will probably have a look at Apple's new service but I will certainly scrutinize the service to see if it's as good as Spotify's library.

A

Anderson

Another thing which strikes me as awesome about the apple music offer is the family plan for an additional £5, I'm al over that! I'm hoping Google end up offering something similar.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
If you're not doing anything wrong you got nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, if ...

get some knowledge about the world we live in before spreading such an idiocy

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
I thought Apple were supposed to be undercutting the likes of Spotify... at £9.99 I won't be interested.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

I wasn't interested at all until I found out they're planning to do do a family deal for £14.99. My kids are now at that age where they're wanting to join the party and with Spotify that's £30 a month for the three of us, or £40 should my wife decide she's feeling left out (though tbh she's not into music). Depending on how reliable the Apple Music service proves to be, for me it's gone from being of 'little to no interest' to 'no brainer' in one swoop. Likely I will sign up for my trial on 30 June and check it out for myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts