Apple Airpods Outer-Ear Bluetooth Earbuds review

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The new Apple Airpods sound about the same as the Lightning Earpods, but are Bluetooth. I don't know how many outer-ear Bluetooth earbuds are available today, but this is the first I've encountered. The bad news, if it's taken that way, is having the Earpod sound for $160 USD, albeit it's wireless. The good news, for those who have an equalizer, is that the EQ'd sound is as good as any other Bluetooth headphone that I've optimally EQ'd. But it gets better - much better for me at least. It's like wearing nothing - no headphone on the head, and no eartips in the ear canals. It's very stable, and in this review I describe an out-of-head sensation that I don't get with any of my headphones.
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/community/threads/apple-airpods-outer-ear-bluetooth-earbuds-review.4418/

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What earpods/buds etc. come as standard with the iPhone 7?

Lightning fit earbuds, or 3.5mm with adaptor?

Also - regardless of what is supplied in the box - which wired earbuds are actually better? Old 3.5mm jacks (with adaptor) or lightning fit?

This will not be for 'critical listening' but still, a pleasant sound without distortion would be nice.

Thanks for the review but - even as an enthusuast Apple user - £159 is way too much for wireless earphones. (Almost $200 right now.)

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
The new Apple Airpods sound about the same as the Lightning Earpods, but are Bluetooth. I don't know how many outer-ear Bluetooth earbuds are available today, but this is the first I've encountered. The bad news, if it's taken that way, is having the Earpod sound for $160 USD, albeit it's wireless. The good news, for those who have an equalizer, is that the EQ'd sound is as good as any other Bluetooth headphone that I've optimally EQ'd. But it gets better - much better for me at least. It's like wearing nothing - no headphone on the head, and no eartips in the ear canals. It's very stable, and in this review I describe an out-of-head sensation that I don't get with any of my headphones.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/community/threads/apple-airpods-outer-ear-bluetooth-earbuds-review.4418/
I agree with your comments Dale,I love these things now, almost a week of use to date.With regards to charging with the Lid closed!! I can tell you that they do.As I ran the Pods down to 25% with case at 100%,Popped them in and closed the lid.Next morning I opened the Lid and the Pods were 100% and the case 94% so this looks to me that they do indeed receive charge with the case closed.Makes sense really.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
What earpods/buds etc. come as standard with the iPhone 7?

Lightning fit earbuds, or 3.5mm with adaptor?

Also - regardless of what is supplied in the box - which wired earbuds are actually better? Old 3.5mm jacks (with adaptor) or lightning fit?

This will not be for 'critical listening' but still, a pleasant sound without distortion would be nice.

Thanks for the review but - even as an enthusuast Apple user - £159 is way too much for wireless earphones. (Almost $200 right now.)

Lightning buds.

Also Lightning to 3.5 mm.

Lightning wired Earpods.

Judging the Airpods *before* having the experience, yes, the price seems too high.

Judging the price after the experience, no regrets whatsoever. Makes an awesome, awesome gift.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
RodhasGibson said:
dalethorn said:

I agree with your comments Dale,I love these things now, almost a week of use to date.With regards to charging with the Lid closed!! I can tell you that they do.As I ran the Pods down to 25% with case at 100%,Popped them in and closed the lid.Next morning I opened the Lid and the Pods were 100% and the case 94% so this looks to me that they do indeed receive charge with the case closed.Makes sense really.

While everything in engineering requires compromise (size, convenience, battery life, etc...., ), I believe the Apple engineers should receive an Einstein award for this one.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
A little bump here - I just purchased 2 new sets of Airpods from the Apple Store, as they haven't been generally available for the past 2 months. With my EQ setting, they become satisfactory for high fidelity listening at home, although they don't have quite the detail of a Focal Elear for example. Their combination of EQ'd sound and convenience is still at the top of my list of musical enjoyment, along with a handful of other headphones.

Apple_Airpods.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts