Anyone want to write about hi-fi?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Go on, Spiny. You know you want to...*biggrin*

If I did, d'you think I'd be mentioning it on here, to let someone beat me to the gig? Nah, not for me: I just happened to spot it and thought I'd pass it on in case anyone was interested.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It's already my little hobby. More than 120 reviews so far... in french. Sorry, but I'm too limited with the english language. Generally, you don't do it for the pay, it's pure passion and the feeling that you can help other peoples not to be screwd of their money. There is a little fame that build up if you are good. But be attentive of some dark aspects of this, some real sh_tstorm is sure if you meet a bad product you want to review as it is, I know, some portals are using diplomacy and twisted wordchoosing for solving the problem, but I don't know how hifiwigwam work ; and some builders are prone to come with lawsuit if they don't like your way of writing. Anyway, sometimes, you can meet interesting peoples and you will learn a lot. I know some of my colleagues use this to gain access to cheaper stuff in exchange of good reviews. I never used this possibility, even if, sometimes, the potential "gifts" are tasty (thank you Devialet).

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
It's already my little hobby. More than 120 reviews so far... in french. Sorry, but I'm too limited with the english language. Generally, you don't do it for the pay, it's pure passion and the feeling that you can help other peoples not to be screwd of their money. There is a little fame that build up if you are good. But be attentive of some dark aspects of this, some real sh_tstorm is sure if you meet a bad product you want to review as it is, I know, some portals are using diplomacy and twisted wordchoosing for solving the problem, but I don't know how hifiwigwam work ; and some builders are prone to come with lawsuit if they don't like your way of writing. Anyway, sometimes, you can meet interesting peoples and you will learn a lot. I know some of my colleagues use this to gain access to cheaper stuff in exchange of good reviews. I never used this possibility, even if, sometimes, the potential "gifts" are tasty (thank you Devialet).

So where do you post your reviews? i do my best to try and read the occasional page from the french edition of What hifi, but I should try and persevere more.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
In this day and age you could probably start your own online hifi review mag/video channel without to much effort or mountains of cash. Manufacturers may start to supply review stuff if you get enough hits.

Dale on the headphone section does a good job.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
In this day and age you could probably start your own online hifi review mag/video channel without to much effort or mountains of cash. Manufacturers may start to supply review stuff if you get enough hits.

Dale on the headphone section does a good job.

True - I assumed that he was posting on an organised site, but assumptions can be wrong.

It would certainly be an intellectual challenge, to try and write a whole page about some hifi, that sounded realistic, but actually said little of any factual basis.

mightyquin

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
is it just me or does anyone else wonder why every 'review' posted on a forum or blog follows the same kind of style and format as the hifi magazines?

Is it possible to come up with an original style, instead of the usual "....insert name of track....had my toes tapping along even if the bass was a little light...."

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I would probably be too honest.

I would have to have a standard opening paragraph disclaimer before every review to prevent being sued.

A few companies of very special products would love me though.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
mightyquin said:
is it just me or does anyone else wonder why every 'review' posted on a forum or blog follows the same kind of style and format as the hifi magazines?

Is it possible to come up with an original style, instead of the usual "....insert name of track....had my toes tapping along even if the bass was a little light...."

Yes.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
mightyquin said:

Yes.

One of our forum members gets named in this article.

http://noaudiophile.com/KEF_Q300/

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:
So where do you post your reviews? i do my best to try and read the occasional page from the french edition of What hifi, but I should try and persevere more.

You will find those in two places :

Audiofanzine is one of them (the menu shows you just a limited amount, use the button "plus d'avis" several times to have the full list. Please note that the list is incomplete, because, very quick, I started to ban reviews that where unprofessional or not completed in serious envrionment :
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/101708/contributions/avis/

Some mercenary work of mine can be bought at :

http://www.lp-magazin.de/index.php

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
You will find those in two places :

Audiofanzine is one of them (the menu shows you just a limited amount, use the button "plus d'avis" several times to have the full list. Please note that the list is incomplete, because, very quick, I started to ban reviews that where unprofessional or not completed in serious envrionment :http://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/101708/contributions/avis/

Some mercenary work of mine can be bought at :

http://www.lp-magazin.de/index.php

Does this forum vinyl fanclub know that you write about turntables in http://www.lp-magazin.de/index.php ?

I have had a quick recce of http://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/101708/contributions/avis/

There could be some interesting material in there. I started to read your review of the Moon Neo 330A.

The first sentence is "Amplificateur de puissance pour ampli hifi construit par le professionnel du charabia audiophile." You certainly don't hold back with your opinions. *biggrin*

K

keeper of the quays

All the reviews are tired old regurgitated phrases! Be nice if someone wrote a interesting review..something more original! Less boring! No yawn comparison to other kit which the reader has never heard! I may write a spoof one here..just to illustrate my point...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts