Anyone using Dynaudio with Cyrus 8xp

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Because of low impedence on Dynaudio I am wondering if Cyrus 8XP would be able to drive Dyns without any problem. I know with pre and power combo there will be no problem but need to know if 8XP integerated have enough juice to handle Dyns.

Thanks.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't use Cyrus amp but gathering from its specs it should be a match good enough. however, I'd like to see more power output in 4 Ohm load (double the output of 8 Ohm is the best situation) and it's a pity you have to pay extra to get a decent power supply. that raises the price for the amp up to some GBP 1800 - 1900 new. at that price level you can do better than Cyrus for sure.

for other options maybe check Burson Audio 160 Integrated for instance (it should cost more or less than Cyrus without PSU) or Primare I30 can be found at discounted prices now that I32 have been introduced.

I use Pathos Classic One mkIII with my Dynaudio and I never found this combo lacking in any way. if you can get Pathos Logos second hand at reasonable price it's going to be even better...

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
oldric thanks for your feedback, one more questions does the power supply I believe its called PSX makes a difference in handling of speakers or I should add at later stage a power amplified like Power 8 or X Power but offcourse that will take my budget to higher level and increase the boxes which I hate.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Adding a PSX-R to the power amp (8, X Power) does increase its control of the speakers. I use X Power with Dyn Focus 110 and it is amazing. I'm not sure about adding PSX-R to the integrated 8XP but imagine it does something similar. The 8XP is about as powerful as the X Power on paper so should be ok. It is generally agreed that PSX-R does improve most Cyrus products, providing DC power to the audio circuits of the amp in this case, makes more money for the company of course.

If you hate adding boxes, don't! As I say the 8XP should be fine with Dynaudio up to the Focus range, audition first of course. PSX will just add that little bit more.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Zubkabera said:
oldric thanks for your feedback, one more questions does the power supply I believe its called PSX makes a difference in handling of speakers or I should add at later stage a power amplified like Power 8 or X Power but offcourse that will take my budget to higher level and increase the boxes which I hate.

ha! I guess you already got your answer thanks to datay. :)

ok, let's bring it down to numbers. on Cyrus's web page it's described how adding the PSX influences performance of 8 Power (which I believe should be quite similar in its topology as 8 Xp's power amp section). unfortunately it's not mentioned what it does with 8 Xp so I have to use 8 Power as reference. I think that a good power supply is one of the crucial elements of power amp's build becouse you'll not be able to exploit power amp's capabilities to drive your speakers if the power supply can't deliver enough current in right time to output devices. a perfectly working power amp should be able to deliver twice the power as impedance it sees from speakers halves in order to maintain the same volume levels of every frequency it's asked to amplify; for instance if amp is rated 50Wpc into 8 Ohms it should be able to deliver 100Wpc into 4 Ohms or even 200Wpc into 2 Ohms but if it's aked to amplify into 16 Ohm load it will only need to deliver 25Wpc. obviously it's never a problem to deliver less current in greater load impedances, it's always the other way round that causes the trouble. I don't know why but for some reason many British amps can't do that trick. it's rarely to see an amp to deliver twice the current as impedance halves. my only guess is that British speakers are usually build that way so to keep impedance curves as high as possible so that performance into 4 Ohm load or lower is not an issue.

however, it's not the case with Dynaudio. they keep impedance high enough so it wouldn't dip below 4 Ohms (quite easy load to drive so you don't need an amp stable in lower impedances) but on the other hand impedance is not allowed to swing freely so it remains within 4-8 Ohm brackets for almost the whole frequency response and it's alway close to 4 Ohms only in bass region. that's the reason why performance into 4 Ohm load is so imprtant IMO. woofer is always more difficult to controll and proportionately more power into 4 Ohms means better control over bass. notes are taunter, quicker and better described.

Let's now come back to our 8 Power example. it's rated 60Wpc and 90Wpc into 8 Ohms and 4 Ohms respectively. with added PSX it changes to much more acceptable 60/110Wpc into 8/4 Ohms. see how performance into more difficult loads changes favourably without any change into 8 Ohms? that's the main advantage of adding the improved PSU. I think the effect should be quite similar with 8 XP (I also think that power ratings of 8XP are over optimistic compared to what 8 Power alone can yield).

in the end I will agree with datay that 8XP should do just fine on its own but I really think yoou could find a better suiting amp for that money if you shop around and if you know what to look for.

one more think. all that I wrote is just theory but I can vouche for that with my own experiences. I used to have a 75/90Wpc into 8/4 Ohms amp. now I have 70/130Wpc into 8/4 Ohms amp and the difference in bass quality is quite staggering. before I though I'll need a subwoofer to fully appreciate some of my electronic music or symphonic pieces. now I don't think so anymore :). plus before bass was considerably slower and less articulate, more uniform. now I can clearly hear differences in bass texture. and all that from puny Focus's 110 :)

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Top advice and info from oldric. The X Power also delivers 60W into 8 and 110W into 4 Ohms. I don't bother with a PSX, no space, but it adds 10W to each figure.

One other thing - use all the speaker outputs on the amp, especially Cyrus, even if you're not bi-wiring. Halves the output impedance of the amp - increasing current. I just added an extra bit of cable into two more Deltron BFA plugs. It isn't easy to explain but you can google and find how elsewhere. It is undoubtedly the best cheap upgrade I have ever done, by far, and a nice bit of DIY!

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Another consideration maybe to get some monoblocks and use the 8XP as a pre-amp. I just got 2 aPA7.5's for £800. Last week there were 2 slightly older aPA7's which were listed seperately on fleabay which sold for about £280 each! Not the latest in the Cyrus range, but either should outperform the 8XP plus each monblock is rated at 150w. The aPA7.5's driving my Proacs are a major leap forward in all areas.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestion, I have just bought the Cyrus 8XPD I will first see how it sounds with my Dynaudio Focus 110 and if required I will add a Power Amp later to spice the bass.

Based on your comments above I assume I will gain in SQ with Power Amp rather then PSX. I currently have MIT terminator interconnects and v/d hul C122 speakers cable which are quite old I am not sure if I should spend more on new cable from the likes of Chord, I also don't know if cable age make difference in SQ.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Zubkabera said:
Thank you all for your suggestion, I have just bought the Cyrus 8XPD I will first see how it sounds with my Dynaudio Focus 110

good thinking

Zubkabera said:
Based on your comments above I assume I will gain in SQ with Power Amp rather then PSX.

not necessarily. I would ask Cyrus of any gains to be achieved from upgrading to PSX on your 8XPd first. besides it's going to be a shame not being able to use your amp's power amp section since you've got an integrated amp.

Zubkabera said:
I currently have MIT terminator interconnects and v/d hul C122 speakers cable which are quite old I am not sure if I should spend more on new cable from the likes of Chord, I also don't know if cable age make difference in SQ.

cable age doesn't make a difference so no need to fiddle around with that. however, those van der hull cables seem to be silver plated copper ones. if you by any chance start to experience some sibilance or overbrightness with your system try swapping cables to pure copper ones. I had such a problem with my Dyns when they were connected with QED Revelation. then swapped to pure copper Atlas cables and immediately regained balance. they still sound very detailed on top but the glare is now gone.

and one more advice. you need to make a lot of room for your speakers to sound optimal. that means some 3 foot distance from side walls and rear wall too. if you leave them too close to wall upper bass may overshadow midrange and imaging will suffer. if you can't afford to bring them so much into the room you can try the bongs to plug the ports. that should help.

many hours of happy listening!!

and post some impressions from listening to your new set up later on :)

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Oldric,

What do you mean by

"it's going to be a shame not being able to use your amp's power amp section since you've got an integrated amp."

I was of the assumption that if at later stage I add a power amp like X power then overall power available at disposal will be 70x70=140W am I incorrect?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Zubkabera said:
Hi Oldric,

What do you mean by

"it's going to be a shame not being able to use your amp's power amp section since you've got an integrated amp."

I was of the assumption that if at later stage I add a power amp like X power then overall power available at disposal will be 70x70=140W am I incorrect?

well, technicaly yes if you intend on running 2 sets of speaker cable from the amps (XPd and X power). didn't take that into account. but you know you've got only 1 set of inputs on your speakers. so no biwiring is possible and I'm affraid since you are going to be feeding the same music programme from 2 amps into 1 set of speakers it might confuse the speakers. it will definitely not damage them but I would be surprised if that gave any benefit sound wise. just guessing but you might check that out if I'm correct.

A

Anonymous

Hi Zubkabera,

I have the same setup and use copper (not silver) cables. I feel the amp didn't struggle driving the Dyna's but I then happened across a pair of Mono Xs at a great price and so now use the 8XP as a pre.

I hope you enjoy the sound, just remember to experiment with positioning of the speakers and the previous advice on cables

Zubkabera said:
Because of low impedence on Dynaudio I am wondering if Cyrus 8XP would be able to drive Dyns without any problem. I know with pre and power combo there will be no problem but need to know if 8XP integerated have enough juice to handle Dyns.

Thanks.

Back to the original question and I'd say YES! But it does depend what levels you play your music, but I heard the original 8 playing through Dyns Audience 52SEs and it drove them fine.

Look at it more recently, WHFI recommend the new 6 with ATC SCM11s. If 40 watts have little problem pushing those humongous magnets/cones of the ATCs then there shouldn't be any problem with Dyns being driven by 70 or 80 watts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts