Anyone using a Marantz PM7005

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Very interesting model with the usb dac built in, which is what the 6005 and now the 6006 is lacking for my preferred set up. This model is obviously up the food chain, but seems like it has quite good discounts.

Is it a good/great amp in that price range? Are there alternatives with the spec at this price (approx 440 pounds) or even cheaper. Thanks

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If I was after the Marantz sound and an amp with a DAC for £440, I'd be all over the PM7005 to be honest, considering that's only £40 more than the list price of a PM6006. PM7005 may be 'so last year' but If it sounds noticeably worse than a PM6006 just because it's from the previous range them I'm an Irishman.

MajorFubar said:
If I was after the Marantz sound and an amp with a DAC for £440, I'd be all over the PM7005 to be honest, considering that's only £40 more than the list price of a PM6006. PM7005 may be 'so last year' but If it sounds noticeably worse than a PM6006 just because it's from the previous range them I'm an Irishman.

Never heard one but quite true.... to be sure, to be sure... :)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Oh believe me guys (and I am an Irishman) I am into last year gear more than new stuff, my amp is old and good. I am into photography also and do well with last years model price wise over this year's incremental update.

I will soon enough add something modern to my kit, maybe an onkyo a9010 with a dacmagic 100 or an amp with built in DAC. The 7005 has the USB that I'd like but have not seen much about it. I may hold out for a Quad Vena or similar. Just feeling the water for the moment

insider9

muljao said:
Bump

Has anyone purchased this Marantz and if so any input. I like the idea of it, but it's very sparsely reviewed

For what it's worth I've listened to PM5005 and PM6005 and the old PM66SE on the end of Zensor 3.

I prefered the sound of PM66SE and disliked the new Marantz stuff (it wasn't an extended demo no more than half an hour each). It had all to do with the midrange presentation that just didn't sound right to me. It bothered me so much that I cut the demos short. It may have to do with the pairing or simply taste. Lots of people like these models. I wouldn't have one in my system for free.

I know I've said it many time before but out of new budget amps the only one that I liked was the A9010. Compared to Marantz PM66SE it had a different qualities but I could live with the old Marantz, just not the new.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have heard and liked very much - the 8005 and the Pearl lite. Not sure if it has the inputs you want tho.

Might cost a little more - but worth it (inmho)

Those spam filters and word verifications are just ridiculous - tonky

insider9

muljao said:
insider9 said:
muljao said:
Thanks, tried to reply but keep getting spammed out?

And don't be surprised if your PM4200 actually sounds as good as quite a few new budget amps. If feasible take it along to a demo and compare you may be pleasantly surprised.

Thats the issue, nowhere to demo for me :(
How about starting a thread asking who on here is from Ireland and nearby and whether they'd be willing to have you over one day for a demo?

It's either this or buying over Internet and sending it back for whatever reason.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
That's probably a good idea but I wouldn't be comfortable meeting up and going to peoples houses to try gear etc. I'm social enough but I wouldn't do that

Part of the problem is price. I could ask a shop 15 miles away to get this amp, they do limited stuff, but marantz is there. Even if I liked it the price would be 60 percent more than from a UK supplier. I like support local, but not at that price. For info the amp is approx 450 pounds, it's 799 euro in Dublin

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Seem to be plenty of people on here who have offered their place to demo equipment. A nice bunch overall. - hopefully you may find a like-minded person around your local. (within say 50 miles)

regards tonky

insider9

Yes, I agree with Tonky.

Not saying it would have to be on the basis that the first time you meet you go to someone's home. But a couple of cups of coffee or pints first and if it happens you are both on the same wavelength I don't see why not.

And by the way prices in Ireland are shocking.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I ask to many questions here.

My issue is that I have nowhere to try anything out. There is one hifi shop within reasonable distance from me with limited stock. I would't ask to try anything there because everything they sell is at inflated prices. I like to support local but I am talking anything up to 50 percent difference in price in comparison to getting it shipped from up the country, so cannot afford to support them.

I have an amp with usb dac connection in my mind for a while. I could go down the route of the Onkyo (again without listening to it) but I'd be keeping my dac (which was 50 pounds and works great, but I just think and maybe wrongly that a dac that is more upmarket, or indeed intergrated to a good amp may be better than my current set up). The pm6005/6 is almost ideal only for the usb. The pm7005 has usb, and at the moment is more affordable than it was. My only concern is that if I buy it blind that it turns out to be one of Marantz poorer products, which I suspect could be the reason for relatively few reviews.

It will be a while anyway so I'll read bits and pieces. I had hifi money a few weeks ago and my boiler crapped out, so that was the end of that, but the idea was in my head and I'll slowly get a few upgrades

D

Deleted member 108165

muljao said:
That's probably a good idea but I wouldn't be comfortable meeting up and going to peoples houses to try gear etc. I'm social enough but I wouldn't do that

Part of the problem is price. I could ask a shop 15 miles away to get this amp, they do limited stuff, but marantz is there. Even if I liked it the price would be 60 percent more than from a UK supplier. I like support local, but not at that price. For info the amp is approx 450 pounds, it's 799 euro in Dublin

I live close to Stansted so order one from the UK delivered to my address then hop on a cheap Ryanair flight and I'll meet ya at the airport. *biggrin*

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
DougK said:
muljao said:

I live close to Stansted so order one from the UK delivered to my address then hop on a cheap Ryanair flight and I'll meet ya at the airport. *biggrin* 

I can get one posted here it's the trying out is the thing, but wow, that's fabulous of you to offer, thanks very much. I'm getting to like this forum and the people here

muljao said:
DougK said:
muljao said:

I live close to Stansted so order one from the UK delivered to my address then hop on a cheap Ryanair flight and I'll meet ya at the airport. *biggrin*

I can get one posted here it's the trying out is the thing, but wow, that's fabulous of you to offer, thanks very much. I'm getting to like this forum and the people here

Foot-passenger Rosslare to sunny Wales..... bring money and large rucksack... ;-)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
muljao said:
DougK said:
muljao said:

I live close to Stansted so order one from the UK delivered to my address then hop on a cheap Ryanair flight and I'll meet ya at the airport. *biggrin* 

Foot-passenger Rosslare to sunny Wales..... bring money and large rucksack...  ;-)

I actually looked that up today. 81 euro return, might be worth it. 221 with the car. Might make a weekend out of it :)

muljao said:
Al ears said:
muljao said:
DougK said:
muljao said:

Foot-passenger Rosslare to sunny Wales..... bring money and large rucksack... ;-)

I actually looked that up today. 81 euro return, might be worth it. 221 with the car. Might make a weekend out of it :)

Way to go. Not too far to some hifi shops really. You might save more by going foot then picking up hire car this side, don't know for sure though..... You know it's worth it! Used to do the same Plymouth to Roscoff but that was just for cheese and wine ;-)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
muljao said:
Al ears said:
muljao said:
DougK said:
muljao said:

Foot-passenger Rosslare to sunny Wales..... bring money and large rucksack...  ;-)

Way to go. Not too far to some hifi shops really. You might save more by going foot then picking up hire car this side, don't know for sure though..... You know it's worth it! Used to do the same Plymouth to Roscoff but that was just for cheese and wine  ;-)

Ya, but cheese and wine is way more important than hifi, plus you know if someone disagrees about your taste in cheese and wine, they are just wrong ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts