Anyone been ripping CDs over winter?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

johnnyboy1950 said:
What software do people use for ripping? Is one prog better than another. I have used musicbee which is free and very configurable with saveable profiles. Its a personal and subjective thing with usability but provided settings are comparable is there SQ differences between software?

Many on here have their own favourites, for the last 5 years mine has been Exact Audio Copy, (EAC), freeware. Personally I've never heard any difference between rippers that offer similar features, EAC offers a test & copy option.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
johnnyboy1950 said:
What software do people use for ripping? Is one prog better than another. I have used musicbee which is free and very configurable with saveable profiles. Its a personal and subjective thing with usability but provided settings are comparable is there SQ differences between software?

I'm a dBpoweramp man myself. Over the years I've ripped probably 1500+ CDs and I've found dBpoweramp to be the best for me. I pay for their services rather than the free version as it offers better cover art and data options. I tried EAC but found it very slow in comparison. I have everything loaded onto my Synology NAS and have backed them up twice to a couple of WD Element HDD's.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
My stack of CDs awaiting ripping is piling up, I think it must be up to about 50 or so by now, unfortunately my external DVD drive died a while ago and I haven't got around to replacing it. I suppose I could resurrect my old laptop but, well, that would require some effort and if I'm honest I'm a lazy b...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ripped a 3 CD set to iTunes on the Mac Mini (and synced to iPhone for AirPlay) today ...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/890/40873555634_7dbc37c608_c.jpg

... as with all of my CDs they are already stored away in a CD storage box in a cupboard under the stairs. (Last ditch physical backup if all of my system backups failed!)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
johnnyboy1950 said:
What software do people use for ripping?.....is there SQ differences between software?
iTunes for me. And no, not unless one of them is doing it wrong, which they certainly shouldn't. Even Windows Media Player can rip a CD successfully.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
I think it's more to do with how quick they do it.

Yep, and specific features. In my case, I rip with the same software which hosts my library, so for me that makes sense. Others will have their own preferred solution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts