anybody want some free speakers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Long ago when our amp got stolen the insurance company tried to foist a cheaper model (same brand). Myself, my older brother and my dad all agreed it sounded the pits.

Majority rules...

Maybe that's because you new that it was cheaper!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Good challenge. And the fact that nobody is taking it indirectly confirms that it is not possible to tell any difference between amps (operating within their design conditions) in a blind test.

Does not matter if Mr Harbeth's motivation is marketing, busting the myth or both. If he is confident he is right and differences are a myth, why not exploit the myth to his advantage by using it for marketing while busitng it? Fair play if you ask me.

I don't understand the part (in the OP) about accounting for frequency response, though.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
I don't understand the part (in the OP) about accounting for frequency response, though.

Some amps (although a minority I think) don't measure flat across the audible frequency range. I can't be bothered to check but I seem to remember the Supernait, for example, is rolled off at the top. It's measurements are here.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Craig M. said:
Overdose said:
Has anyone walked off with the free speakers yet?

Don't be daft! :grin: As far as I can remember, not one person felt confident enough to try.

Well I just thought that with the various bits of advice given regarding amplifiers and their sonic characteristics, many people would seem to be in contention for the prize. Just seems strange that no-one has given it a go.

:?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
Just seems strange that no-one has given it a go.

maybe that's the reason why:

Craig M. said:
However, I don't have the time to play around. You have to conceive of the test, design the switch over system and bring it to us here

maybe the public don't have the time to play around too. and also the knowledge to create the switch over system.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
Overdose said:

Craig M. said:
However, I don't have the time to play around. You have to conceive of the test, design the switch over system and bring it to us here

maybe the public don't have the time to play around too. and also the knowledge to create the switch over system.

And what about your good self? No interest in some free speakers? Surely a trivial matter for a man of your calibre.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
Craig M. said:
in terms of (...) thd, a lot of amps seem to measure, broadly, the same.

would you have access to open loop THD measurements of some most popular amps?

No and don't care to, the results of similar listening tests speak volumes to me. Probably why no-one took up the challenge.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
Overdose said:

Craig M. said:

And what about your good self? No interest in some free speakers? Surely a trivial matter for a man of your calibre.

I don't live around Lindfield (or on that island in general) and don't travel by car. and that makes it a bit difficult to finalise this project :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
Overdose said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
Overdose said:

Craig M. said:

I don't live around Lindfield (or on that island in general) and don't travel by car. and that makes it a bit difficult to finalise this project :)

I knew you'd come up with some lame excuse. ;)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Overdose said:

I want to give the challenge a go. If anyone has any suggestions which two different sounding amplifiers would be best to use please let me know in this thread here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/what-are-the-two-most-different-sounding-amplifiers

:)

Well, I'd say that given the divisions between the types of amps on offer, a valve vs solid state shootout would be the obvious choice.

Take your pick really as the differences would appear to be so obvious, that you'd need to be deaf not to hear the 'night and day' split.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts