Anybody own or heard Audiolab M-One

robdmarsh

I'm thinking of upgrading my faithful but aging Marantz m-cr603 and have been considering this Audiolab. I understand it's pretty feature rich, can handle hi-res audio and is small. Does anyone have this product and does it compare to the acclaimed M-dac?

Also, is there any way to feed the signal from the CD player in the Marantz through the Audiolab while I wait to be able to afford a stand-alone CD player?

I should add that one reason I'm drawn to it is that it can had for a huge discount on its original rrp at the moment!

Thanks, Rob

Gray

Not sure how the M-One sounds Rob, but it can easily be connected to your 603.

Connect from the Aux output of the Marantz to one of the two Aux inputs on the Audiolab, using a twin RCA interconnect lead.

This means that you'd still be using the Marantz DAC and not the one in the Audiolab, but with no digital out option on the Marantz, it's the only way to connect the two.

You wouldn't need to spend too much on a standalone CD player - use it's digital output to feed the M-One, which would then do the DAC job.

robdmarsh

Thanks a lot Gray. That sounds like a good interim solution but of course, in the end, I would want to take advantage of the dac in the Audiolab.

Do you have any experience of the M-dac or M-dac+?

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
the M One but I have the MDAC which sounds excellent. As Gray says, differences in DACs don't seem to be huge but I used to have an iRDAC which got a bake-off with the MDAC. Both are very good but the bass on the MDAC was better defined and as Gray noted the top end was a bit smoother. I swapped them out as my system was getting a bit too 'dark' and no regrets. I would demo the M One to see how it all ties together as it could be a completely different kettle of fish.

Gray

robdmarsh said:
Thanks a lot Gray. That sounds like a good interim solution but of course, in the end, I would want to take advantage of the dac in the Audiolab.

Do you have any experience of the M-dac or M-dac+?

Not long after it came out, I had a home loan of their 8200 CD player. As you may know, they described it as a DAC and CD player in one and the the DAC part was actually their M-DAC with all its own inputs. This gave me the opportunity of comparing the complete CD player with my Marantz CDP6000KI and evaluating the DAC in its own right - handy, because I was interested in the possibilty of buying an M-DAC.

I tried the DAC's coax input with the digital out from my Marantz CDP and its optical input with the optical digital out from a Humax Foxsat HDR satellite TV box.

I found virtually no difference to the sound I was used to from the Marantz (admittedly an already good player) and a slight, but noticeable smoothing of the sibilance from the Humax (the Humax is a good £250 box, but I don't think they'd have given much priority to its inbuilt DAC - so I wasn't surprised that the £600 M-DAC improved its sound).

Ultimately, I couldn't justify the cost of the M-DAC for the improvement I heard. Bottom line though is that it's good and the M-DAC+ is said to be better of course (I seem to recall a very good Hi-fi Choice review of that, as well as the one in WHF) It could make the M-One a good proposition - especially at the reduced price you've seen.

I also tried an Arcam £400 DAC and was of the same opinion as to its lack of real benefit to me.

I'm not the first on this forum to have found DAC sound differences to be subtle at best, but I'm always open to being amazed.

People here speak highly of Chord DACs, which I've not yet heard - the Qutest could be a goodun (at a price).

I know it's easier said than done Rob, but "try before you buy" is pretty good advice in this game. Having said that, any mistaken blind DAC purchase would be a lot less disasterous than a wrong, blind speaker purchase. Not much help, I know. Good luck!

robdmarsh

Thanks very much previoius two posters. So the upshot is that the Audiolab M-Dac and M-Dac+ are pretty good Dacs (which the M-One is in some way a variant of the latter, probably not as good given the price) although the improvement in sound is perhaps not as night and day as a speaker upgrade.

The amplifier side of things gets good reviews in WHF and AV Forums which compared it favourably to the NAD C368 (it gave it a higher rating for sound). It also said it was a good all-rounder, performing well with lower quality MP3 files as well as hi-res. Combine this with the ablity to plug in, play and control my ipod classic via usb (which I still use for 80% of my listening) and I'm starting to get a little excited. My Marantz m-cr603 has been brilliant but my I'm looking to the future and I think this could be a way get an upgrade without occupying much more space, and amplification ready to handle hi-res audio.

Obviously, try before you buy is the maxim, but it's unllikely - I don't know any retailer that stocks this and the on-line price is so low at the moment, more than 30% off the original price. Ooh... so tempting!

robdmarsh

Just to add, as far as speakers are concerned, I'm extremely happy with my Elac debut b5, which I've raved about in another thread. They are certainly quite relaxed and warm sounding, so I'm thinking they might complement quite nicely the precision of the Audiolab amp.

insider9

I don't have much first hand experience of Audiolab or Elac. If what you're saying is true about your speaker than I'd look to match them to a neutral but dynamic amp along the lines of Cyrus, Leema.

Pairing a relaxed presentation speaker with quite analytical sound may give you very Hifi but ultimately boring sound. It may of course not be the case and what's boring for me doesn't have to be boring for you. Just thought I'd share.

robdmarsh

Thanks insider 9, that's a good point. An uninvolving hi-fi sound is definitely not what I'm after.

My Elacs are laid-back sounding but they draw you in. I still can't believe how good these are - they only cost £169 and to my ears they sounded better than Rega rs1, Dali Zensor 3 and Monitor Audio silver 1, all costing more, the MA silver a lot more. If I have one criticism it's that though they have good detail, they may be slightly withdrawn in the treble. I'm hoping that the Audiolab may be able to bring more of this out as Marantz is also renouned for having a relaxed sound.

Your listening room looks amazing btw. What are the standmounters in your 2017 system pictures?

insider9

These were Red Rose Rosebuds. Standmount versions of what I'm using now. Sounded the best on the end of Primare A30.1 but not too shabby with EAR Yoshino 834 either. Gorgeous little things but difficult to get hold off. I've had lots of gear coming through that I didn't bother taking pictures of which is a shame really :)

insider9

At that kind of money new I'd order one and test it at home. If it's no good send it back but I doubt you will get as much functionality in many other boxes. Have a look at Yamaha WXA-50 streming amp. I don't know how good the amp section is but it's DAC section is definitely decent and great streamer too.

robdmarsh

Thanks Macspur. I don't think the DAC can be at quite the same level as M-DAC+ even at the original price but the fact that you're getting a 40wpc amp into the bargain is making me think it must be worth a punt.

A quick quetion for you: is there an app for your smartphone for these Audiolab products?

robdmarsh

I've also found this five star review from Hifi Choice magazine. I think the sound is going to be brighter than my Marantz but a little more detail wouldn't go amiss and I'm hoping that the warmth of my Elac b5 will restrain any potentiial for harshness.

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/upload/files/HFC_416_Audiolab_Reprint-LOW.pdf

robdmarsh

As a slight aside to this thread, it puzzles me how my speakers with relatively low sensitivity, 85db and 6ohms, can sound so good with low-powered amps. My Marantz is only 30wpc of real power, though I think the manufacturer's blurb rates it as higher.*unknw*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts