Any tablets with DAB out there?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
My Dad wants to buy my Mum a tablet for her birthday. (No idea of budget so all thoughts welcome, they don't own any Apple stuff, so was thinking more Android than anything else)

He wants one that'll shoot video, but one that has a DAB radio too. I don't think he's gonna be lucky on the second point, but I'm no expert. :?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
It may be arguable that Internet Radio can be lower quality than DAB, but I don't see any need for DAB on a tablet, as you can install an Internet Radio app. Of course, this does mean you'll use some of your download allowance while listening.
I assume that your Mum has Wi-Fi?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
None of the tablets have FM or DAB, as far as I'm aware. Not sure if there's a third party accessory to enable that. Why not internet radio?

If I am gardening and want to listen to the cricket, WiFi is no use (signal is too weak) and I don't want to pay for 3g on a tablet. Internet radio is fine in the house but otherwise, nowhere near as reliable as broadcast radio and you have to pay for it.

hammill said:
bigboss said:
None of the tablets have FM or DAB, as far as I'm aware. Not sure if there's a third party accessory to enable that. Why not internet radio?

If I am gardening and want to listen to the cricket, WiFi is no use (signal is too weak) and I don't want to pay for 3g on a tablet. Internet radio is fine in the house but otherwise, nowhere near as reliable as broadcast radio and you have to pay for it.

You can always use mobile tethering and use your phone's data. A tablet is not intended to be used as a DAB radio, it has a specific purpose. If you want music, download music in it or play internet radio. You can get internet radio for free.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
hammill said:
bigboss said:

You can always use mobile tethering and use your phone's data. A tablet is not intended to be used as a DAB radio, it has a specific purpose. If you want music, download music in it or play internet radio. You can get internet radio for free.

I use a DAB radio - you asked the question why the OP would not be satisfied with internet radio, I explained a possible reason. As it happens I have tried mobile tethering for other purposes and found the results disappointing to say the least and anyway how do you know that the OP even has a 3g data allowance? Internet radio is never really free.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
hammill said:
bigboss said:

How exactly would you imagine using a tablet whilst gardening?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts