Any questions for...

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
are the ultra hd premium discs already able to support rec. 2020 and 12 bit? if so we just have to let tv's catch up in technology again :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
What are the future plans for the UHD format in terms of any changes to specification etc.

i.e. should buyers be aware of any changes coming up that might make their current / intended purchase not be up to spec in the near future

D

Deleted member 2457

When are we going to see more Ultra HD 4K music Blu-Ray's?

D

Deleted member 2457

Can they do Mysterious Cities of Gold DVDs season one on Blu-Ray?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Does the BD format have sufficient capacity to support the forthcoming 8K resolution for movies, or will a completely new storage system be required?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Does the BD format have sufficient capacity to support the forthcoming 8K resolution for movies, or will a completely new storage system be required?

Its tri layer discs as it is for the current UHD content, I think they will make need a whole new name and format for 8K and a new HDR equivalent to sell it

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
spiny norman said:

Its tri layer discs as it is for the current UHD content, I think they will make need a whole new name and format for 8K and a new HDR equivalent to sell it

4k is enough for me!

ellisdj said:
spiny norman said:

I'm pretty certain that 4K will be the last disc based format. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Can we have the encryption codes or can someone launch a buy to download device that has .mkv files so I and others can rip our expensive UHDBD originals onto hard disk and keep the originals away from the little cherubs?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
1080p has been around for years. We're now moving into 4k resolution and above.

So why are so many films and TV productions still being released in DVD only? Why should Bluray and more so, 4K Bluray be the sole reserve of mindless blockbuster films, or questionable US TV dramas? So many titles I would want to purchase are available in Region 1, but only in DVD for Europe. Do they think we have poorer eyesight here? Do they want our money or not?

Films: October Sky, Pay it Forward, The Village, Remember the Titans, Pawn Sacrifice, Sea Biscuit

TV: Great Expectations (Gillian Anderson, Winstone), Sense & Sensibility (Charity Wakefield), John Adams, Death in Paradise, Emma (Romola Garai)

I know it's not the BDA's bag, but an associated issue is that we're still being charged a premium in the UK for 1080p TV channels, which surely by now should be the de-facto standard? So moving to 4K seems a bit premature when so many years after its introduction, 1080p hasn't even been universally adopted.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
+1

Sort of.

Quite a few half decent non blockbusters on Blu-ray, sadly not UHD... Well, not yet.

I've managed to get Far from the Madding Crowd (makes me homesick having grown up right on the post 1973 Hants / Dorset border), Mr. Holmes, to name just two that immediately sting to mind, on BD.
I won't be buying a UHD BDP until there are at least twenty UHD BDs - non blockbuster Batman vs Godzilla types - I can buy and enjoy. Hopefully by then the codecs will have been cracked so they can be ripped to hard disk and the originals kept safe.
Reminds me of a guy downstairs from me in halls at University. Bought a CD player, but only one CD - Pet Shop Boys West End Girls - which he played over and over and over again, usually at two am. Grr....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts