any point to upgrade from sc-lx82 to sc-lx86

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The biggest difference is that the SCLX82 used ICE power amplification, whereas the SCLX86 uses "Direct Energy HD Class D" amplification. There's a nice control app for the later SCLX receivers too.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The biggest difference is that the SCLX82 used ICE power amplification, whereas the SCLX86 uses "Direct Energy HD Class D" amplification. There's a nice control app for the later SCLX receivers too.

Besides the marketing blurb from Pioneer, how much of an improvement is that?

mac1969

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
hi , thanks for replay , i have not any strong reason to change this machine as i am happy with it but as i changed my speakers last week , the dealer said i will be a great deal of improvment in sound quality with my R700 speakers if i change my AV to lx86 but i dont know if he want to sell me a new AV for his balace sheet or lx86 is realy suprior in sound and new features! i already know about 3D upgrade with lx86 but to be honest that dosnt bother me alot! i have a dedicated 5.5m X 4m cinema room and just wonder if this upgrade make a noticble improvement in sound for music and movies? my cnter speaker is kefIQ60c and sorround ones are kef KTH3005 pack!

mac1969

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
someone told me when sc-lx82 was out pioneer used the top end procesor they used for LX90 on lx82 and for that reason this AV was best for the money and ahead of the pack at the time , but i dont know if that apply to new lx86 or not?!

JJ

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, you will not hear any difference.

Keep the 82 and save your money.

Just manufacturer's ******** to get you to spend and spend and spend.....

Example - I have a TX-NR905 which I have compared to 808, 809 and 1009...

You know what? To my ears, the 905 is still the best!!

mac1969

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
thanks for your replay JJ & bigboss, I think you guys are absoulotly right as i just had a chat with another hifi dealer and he was honest enough to confirm by doing this upgrade i am just waisting my money and apart from 3D and fancy ipad App there is not much difference between the two to justify the investment on lx86!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
if you want to improve the sound from the receiver then you can look into a pre / power combo.

That is the next step up and opens up many new options to you.

You can use the Pioneer as a processor and then add a more high quality power amp to it to do it in stages

Taking the amplification outside of the noisey do it all box does have significant sonic improvements - depending on your room acoustics obviously how much difference you will hear.

I am assuming as you have dedicated home theatre room you also have acoustically treated your room - if not then by doing so that will be the sound upgrade you are after !!

mac1969

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
hi ellisdj , yes i have a fully acoustically treated walls in my cinema room, to be honest i am happy with my sc-lx82 as it sound good with music and fantastic with movies! i was thinking about the advise i had from my hifi dealer to upgrade to lx86 to not to waist the sound on my new R700 speakers as he said! but having some digging out and chating with some more experinced poeple I think my new R700 speakers should work fine with my lx82 and i need to perhaps upgrade my center speaker from kef IQ60c to kef R60c series too to feel some difference in my movies and perhaps sourrund music playback! any toughts anyone?

TRENDING THREADS