Any need for a Subwoofer?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I been into my local hi fi place today trying to get a best price on the B&W 685 theatre system and they told me to consider getting the floor standing speakers instead for the fronts and go without the Sub.

Is this good advice or not?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You can actually run the 685s without a sub and it still sounds very good (something I tend to do if late night movie watching is on the agenda). However, I personally don't think the floorstanders (presumably the 684s?) would replace the low end the ASW608 (or better still the ASW610) can achieve - there's a good reason it's there in the 684 Home Theatre package. Of course if they're that convinced, ask them to setup a demo so you can see for yourself!

Sliced Bread

Generally speaking, floorstanders will not have the power of a dedicated sub. However I've not heard the B&W 68 series floorstanders. Personal preference really.
Why not listen to them both and pick the one you like. If you chose floorstanders, just be sure that you have the space to let them 'breath'.

A

Anonymous

there is an old pair of B&W DM2a speakers on ebay with 3 days to go ... standing on £29 ... you may get these for less than £100

these are 3 way hand built speakers which have the same tweeters and supertweeters as the spendor BC1's ... these are also a transmission line design so there is excellent bass ... treble and clarity is excellent

I have a pair and can say that these will make excellent front speakers for your setup... much better than the 685's IMHO ... a bit of teak oil on these and they will look good

A

Anonymous

My friend has the 685s without a sub, and the bass on these is terrific. However it's essential that you audition them for yourself before you decide.

A

Anonymous

the 685s clearly wont get down anywhere as far as a dedicated sub will go down to, but they'll have a decent enough stab at low frequency stuff. depends what you want from your low frequency. if you like lots of action stuff, you'll probably want a sub.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
knobbynoo:the 685s clearly wont get down anywhere as far as a dedicated sub will go down to, but they'll have a decent enough stab at low frequency stuff. depends what you want from your low frequency. if you like lots of action stuff, you'll probably want a sub.

Very true. I couldn't believe the difference my sub made when I added it. I have RS6s that are great for bass but it just isn't the same for home cinema.

A

Anonymous

For Home cinema u can never go without a subwoofer , offcource u can choose to go without it , but than u are missing that glorious cinematic effect

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As already mentioned, hi-fi speakers don't reach the depths of a decent subwoofer - the only one I have heard so far that might was the Dynaudio Evidence Temptation - and at £22k, most people would rather add a sub (only heard with music, not in a 5.1 system). The point is, for the money us mere mortals can afford, a sub is the only way to go, unless you want to spend the same price as a half decent car, and then move to a house where the room would suit them.

If an individual has not heard a sub, then they'll be quite happy with a good pair of floorstanders, but those that have won't be able to do without one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts