Anti surge line conditioner

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just back from a couple of hours of playing around with all sorts hifi. Quickly heard both the new little PMC's and iggleberts spendors, though I need more time with them to form an opinion so take both home this week for a couple of eves. Equally interesting was the insertion of a cheap Tacima line conditioner/6 way extension block in two systems. First one an all cyrus one, 8vs2/CD8x/PSXwith rega R5, second Supernait/CDX2 ProAc Studio 140. Clear difference in sound with both ... With the first (cyrus) system it added a very slight touch of refinement to treble manifesting itself in less granularity (though I dont want to overstate it as it really is not night and day difference!) but more relevant, it lost some leading edge detail and bass impact or in short ... drive with the tacima in line. With the Naims it was equally pronounced, reducing cymbal crashes more than I personally like and closing down the image, again I assume because of the reduction in high frequencies (Perhaps I just like a little bit of distortion). It also reduced impact and dynamics in the same way as with system 1. To sum it up, if you have a forward, hard edged system with harsh treble it may well be worth the 20 or so quid. In all other cases i'd stick to conventional means of connection to mains unless you find a product that does'nt 'sapp the life' out of your system such as this one (edit) does.

A

Anonymous

I run the Tacima with my set up (see my profile). No discernable difference in sound either for better or worse. However, the surge protection gives me peace of mind and it's a convenient solution to having more plugs than sockets, so it was money well spent in my view.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tractorboy"]I run the Tacima with my set up (see my profile). No discernable difference in sound either for better or worse. However, the surge protection gives me peace of mind and it's a convenient solution to having more plugs than sockets, so it was money well spent in my view.[/quote]

I know someone that had all their hifi blown up in a storm, so very wise words.

Regards Ed.

A

Anonymous

Let us know how you get on trying the PMCs and Spendors. Will be curious to know what kit you'll try them on too as I'm tuning the radar for an amp. Highly tempted by some sort of decent balanced preamp and a refurbed and tuned Quad 405...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts