Another What hifi magazine blooper??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]She's been promoted to the twin roles of Brand Director and Editor-in-Chief of
WHFSV,[/quote]

Well done....

What is a Brand Director though? Do you mean she is now testing chicken soup?
http://www.brandsessence.co.uk/faqs.asp

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]
[quote user="Mr_Orange"]Hmmmm, Andy seems to be displaying his usual attitude to the accuracy of the content of the magazine!!!
[/quote]

Oh come on! It was a genuine production error (they happen) and as annoying for us as it is for you. None of us likes making mistakes, and when they do happen it's very frustrating.

But here's the thing - we're human, and at least we had the honesty to admit to the error. I was just trying to inject a little humour into the situation... believe me, everyone on What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision cares passionately about what we do and we go to extraordinary lengths to try and ensure the accuracy of what we publish.

[/quote]
Andy, mine was a slightly tongue-in-cheek reply, hence the wink at the end.

Indeed typos do occur and are excusable. As has been said, you're only human! I'd be interested to hear the explanation for reviews finishing mid-sentence though. I can't cite an example off the top of my head, but remember seeing it more than once over the last few years.

It's surprising this thread has rumbled on actually.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Kerr"]Folks, if the most recent issue has more than its fair share of gaffes, please accept my apologies. As Andy has pointed out, we're only human, and we're also always tight on time in our pre-Christmas issue - the one you're reading now. However, while I never like to see typos or other production errors marring our magazine, two other unforeseen factors might also have impacted on the accuracy of our proof-reading in this particular instance.

First, the guv'nor (Clare) was promoted just before Christmas - she's now the Brand Director of the title - and as a result, she spent an unexpectedly large amount of time in our press week period out of the production 'loop'. Normally, she casts her eagle eyes over page proofs after I've seen them, and picks up anything that's eluded me.

Secondly, I nearly got killed on the way home from work (December 12th, if anyone's interested) when an articulated lorry decided to change lanes on the M25. Unfortunately, he didn't notice that I was already occupying the bit of road he wanted to move into. Result? One very badly messed up car and - for a few days - one rather distracted Deputy Editor. Amazingly, I'm not hurt, but looking back on it, I expect my normally fine-tuned nose for a misplaced caption or incorrect price was slightly out of whack for a week or so.

Anyhow: barring further upheavals, normal service will resume next issue. Even so, there'll always be something we miss - and on that front, thanks Hughes123, for highlighting an error we've been running with for several issues now![/quote]

The M25 is a nasty place...anti-clockwise is the worst usually :-( My dad is a printer so he's always asking me to show any mistakes...he used to print Exchange&Mart....that was ridden with mistakes!

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Mr_Orange"][quote user="Andy Clough"]
[quote user="Mr_Orange"]Hmmmm, Andy seems to be displaying his usual attitude to the accuracy of the content of the magazine!!!
[/quote]

Oh come on! It was a genuine production error (they happen) and as annoying for us as it is for you. None of us likes making mistakes, and when they do happen it's very frustrating.

But here's the thing - we're human, and at least we had the honesty to admit to the error. I was just trying to inject a little humour into the situation... believe me, everyone on What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision cares passionately about what we do and we go to extraordinary lengths to try and ensure the accuracy of what we publish.

[/quote]
Andy, mine was a slightly tongue-in-cheek reply, hence the wink at the end.

Indeed typos do occur and are excusable. As has been said, you're only human! I'd be interested to hear the explanation for reviews finishing mid-sentence though. I can't cite an example off the top of my head, but remember seeing it more than once over the last few years.

It's surprising this thread has rumbled on actually.[/quote]

Me too .My original post was tongue in cheek and perhaps i wouldnt have posted if i had known this would be the response! I have What hifi to thank for recommending items for my new system which i am looking forward to getting if the hifi shop can ever get my RA-05 in stock and when Optimum replace the appalling quality rods that they sent me!!

matthewpiano

Thank goodness common sense is prevailing!! Everyone needs to remember that the WHFS&V team are just mere mortals like the rest of us and make mistakes and have other pressures in life like the rest of us. This is the reason why mistakes sometimes appear in the magazine, but also why nobody should take the reviews as gospel. They are a guide, backed up by substantial experience and enthusiasm, but they must always remain purely that. This is why you won't hear me saying WHFS&V is 'the best' magazine out there. I read all the major hi-fi publications and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Each provides a different angle on various pieces of equipment and taking in what each has to say promotes a bit of independent thinking about what constitutes good hi-fi and/or home cinema.
....and I've seen errors of production, typography and data in all of them!!

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="matthewpiano"]Everyone needs to remember that the WHFS&V team are just mere mortals like the rest of us and make mistakes and have other pressures in life like the rest of us. [/quote]

EH?!?!?

O.M.G. - you'll be telling us Santa is not real, the tooth fairy is fake and the Easter bunny doesn't exist....

Mistakes happen people - get over it and move on.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts