Another what cart thread...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just bought a Roksan Radius (one of the originals) fitted with an RB250 arm but no cart. Its had a few upgrades, arm weight, PSU etc.

Having never needed to buy a cart before I haven't got a clue as to what is good, bad or indifferent.

I dont really want to spend more than £200, but if there is something exceptional just over that price then I can stretch. I head good things about the AT440mla and Ortofon 2M Blue and Bronze to name a couple....

I mainly listen to rock and metal and some prog....so what would you recommend. I dont have any way of auditioning carts, so am reliant on the people with experience....

A

Anonymous

Thats great thanks for the advice. Will do some reading up on your suggestions :)

Anyone else have any recommendations?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget the Denon DL-110 and DL-160 - both within range.

They are moving coil designs, but high-output, so will work with a standard MM input.

I love mine - the detail and timbre of instruments is beautiful, but perhaps not the best choice for full-on rock...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. Like everything it seems to depend whose reviews you read as to what is best. Been offered an Ortofon 2M Black for a very good price (£180) with ~150hours use on it so I might go with that rather than spend almost the same new on a Blue.

I hear mixed things about the DL110, mostly similar to what you say. Similar with the Goldring 1042.

Also the Shure V15 III has been mentioned.

Choice choices.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I would avoid the black. Not because it's not a good cart - it is - but because when a cart has spend 150hrs aligned in one arm, the diamond will have worn to suit that alignment.

Put it in a different arm, with different alignment (it will be impossible to get it exactly the same) and the sound won't be as good as it was - it may also wear the diamond a lot faster.

Can't comment on the Shure, as haven't heard it.

In your position, I would be looking at either the 440MLa or the 2M blue I think.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. Further looking into the Shure and it looks unsuitable for the Rega arm as it needs less than 1g tracking to work at its best so needs a really light arm. So thats that one discounted.

Still none the wiser TBF, now I just have a list of half a dozen or so carts, all of which seem to have upsides and down sides. Probably all will sound OK.

Overall my system is pretty well balanced (IMO) so I want the same from a cart, nothing bass or treble heavy.

flakmonkey:

Thanks for the advice. Further looking into the Shure and it looks unsuitable for the Rega arm as it needs less than 1g tracking to work at its best so needs a really light arm. So thats that one discounted.

Still none the wiser TBF, now I just have a list of half a dozen or so carts, all of which seem to have upsides and down sides. Probably all will sound OK.

Overall my system is pretty well balanced (IMO) so I want the same from a cart, nothing bass or treble heavy.

Could do much worse than buying a ClearAudio Aurum Classic Wood Cart. Lovely and accurate - retails around £240.00 but I've seen them on ebay recently for £160.00.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I was recommended the Clearaudio Aurum V2A by the shop I bought the deck from, but couldnt find any reviews for them anywhere so was a little hesistant to go with it.

Cheers,

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts