Another TV question...

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm in he market for a new TV around 48" or 50". Should I look at OLED? Curved? Are they the same thing? The Samsung 48 9000 range attracts good reviews as a flat screen? Which one? Choices , choices , choices. Any help is appreciated

D

Deleted member 2457

jcshutts said:
I'm in he market for a new TV around 48" or 50". Should I look at OLED? Curved? Are they the same thing? The Samsung 48 9000 range attracts good reviews as a flat screen? Which one? Choices , choices , choices. Any help is appreciated
OLED starts at 55-inches. The cheaper ones are curved.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
jcshutts said:

Thanks gel. Is Oled better or is it just a different brand name for the same technology?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
jcshutts said:
Thanks gel. Is Oled better or is it just a different brand name for the same technology?

Is OLED better ... than what?? The same technology ... as what? Sorry to be pedantic, but if you're about to spend quite a bit of money you need to be clear about a few things. This forum can certainly help, but be sure about what exactly you are asking.

By the way, you've not said how much money you can spend and not only the cheaper OLEDs are curved, some of the expensive ones are curved also. Samsung, who don't have an OLED on sale at the moment, put their most advanced picture processing technology into only their curved models, not into the flat ones. Curved and OLED refer to different things: you can have curved OLED, flat OLED, curved non-OLED, flat non-OLED.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Clarity in writing can only occur when there is clarity of mind!!! You sensed my confusion!! Apologies. So I'm looking to get the best options to a new TV which is around the 50" mark. It seems that the Samsung range are getting some good reviews. Which model should I seek to review! I am interested in the curved variety and thought this was another term used for OLED , but see now that this is not so. Budget - I don't think I can justify trying to buy a TV for more than three thousand as it feels as though I should be able to get a good TV under £3k?? Are there any downsides to curved? Is it a fad?? Should I try and find an OLED curved to see how it differs from LCD? Always grateful thanks

I know you have a projector, can you not consider 55-inch versions? There are more models to choose from. Your budget is more than decent, you should be able to get the flagships for that money. Flat vs curved is a personal choice.

Are you looking for 4K resolution?

D

Deleted member 2457

jcshutts said:
gel said:
jcshutts said:

Oled is much better.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
I know you have a projector, can you not consider 55-inch versions? There are more models to choose from. Your budget is more than decent, you should be able to get the flagships for that money. Flat vs curved is a personal choice.

unfortunatley the alcove will only allow for 50" tv. I will try and view a curve screen to see if it is good. Any suggestions on which one? Also definitely 4K and HDR ready if possible ?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
jcshutts said:
bigboss said:

unfortunatley the alcove will only allow for 50" tv. I will try and view a curve screen to see if it is good. Any suggestions on which one? Also definitely 4K and HDR ready if possible ?

It's hard to find a top of the range TV under 50" when you have a £3000 budget if you want to spend it all. The only TV I can point you to is the Samsung ue48js9000. Probably the best TV under 50" you can get

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
jcshutts said:
bigboss said:

Regarding oled I believe there isn't any under 55" and they have issues much more commonly compared to LED, motion issues, screenburn, panel problems (tinting) and it is still expensive for what you get.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Oled is much better.

Jcshutts, that's rather a sweeping statement by gel. OLED may yet become very good indeed, but there have been problems with some individual OLED sets. In fairness, I should say that there have also been (different) problems with some individual LCD sets.

It's a real shame that your alcove restricts you to only a 50-inch set. With your budget, you could have bought a very fine 65" 4K television. Ah well, I guess that you want to stay married! The Samsung 48JS9000 that nugget mentioned is very good, if you like curved televisions.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site

I guess that you want to stay married!

[/quote]

thanks son of SJ

:)

do you have an alternative flat screen suggestion to the Samsung curve??

Paul.

jcshutts said:
Son_of_SJ said:
I guess that you want to stay married!

thanks son of SJ

:)

do you have an alternative flat screen suggestion to the Samsung curve??

Dunno what's coming in 2016, but if you want the extended colour gamut and wider dynamic range, there is no flat version. Your options are 48js8500 and 48js9000.

There is a flat SUHD called the js8000 but it only seems to come in 55". There is a 50ju6800 that has a wide colour gamut and is flat but you loose the panel quality, black levels, 10 bit, wider dynamic range etc.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
How do you know so much about tellies!!! Thanks. I think new ranges normally come around March don't hey??? Might be worth hanging fire for a minute perhaps??

Paul.

jcshutts said:
How do you know so much about tellies!!! Thanks. I think new ranges normally come around March don't hey??? Might be worth hanging fire for a minute perhaps??

be careful though, if you wait too long the 2015 bargains will be gone :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts