Another remake: A warning from history.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Spoken like a true Mail reader, but you left the term 'much-loved' out somewhere along the line.

But not at all sure about the thread title: was Upstairs, Downstairs a remake? Or have you spent the afternoon glued to the Yesterday channel?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I was expecting this to be about a remake of 'The Nazis - A Warning From History'.

If so, a Daily Mail link would have been a superb irony!

(Wondered why on Earth such an excellent series needed a remake so soon.)

I never could stand 'Upstairs Downstairs' first time around (or Forsyte Saga or Poldark or The Onedin Line). I am sure they had their merits, but they will always remind me of boring Sunday evenings when I was a kid. Programmes like that just meant... 'the weekend is over and it's school again tomorrow'.

Andrew Everard:

Spoken like a true Mail reader, but you left the term 'much-loved' out somewhere along the line.

But not at all sure about the thread title: was Upstairs, Downstairs a remake? Or have you spent the afternoon glued to the Yesterday channel?

Given that Jean Marsh is the only original and Art Malik will play Gordon Jackson's character as the butler, I think it could be safely classed as a remake.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Andrew Everard:But not at all sure about the thread title: was Upstairs, Downstairs a remake? Or have you spent the afternoon glued to the Yesterday channel?

Given that Jean Marsh is the only original and Art Malik will play Gordon Jackson's character as the butler, I think it could be safely classed as a remake.

I think Andrew was referring to your use of the phrase... "another remake". It implies that the original 'Upstairs Downstairs' was itself a remake.

chebby:

I was expecting this to be about a remake of 'The Nazis - A Warning From History'.

If so, a Daily Mail link would have been a superb irony!

(Wondered why on Earth such an excellent series needed a remake so soon.)

I never could stand 'Upstairs Downstairs' first time around (or Forsyte Saga or Poldark or The Onedin Line). I am sure they had their merits, but they will always remind me of boring Sunday evenings when I was a kid. Programmes like that just meant... 'the weekend is over and it's school again tomorrow'.

Like you I'm not a huge fan of the original. Although it acted as a springboard to some of our actors like Pauline Collins, Nicola Pagett...along with established actors such as the wonderful Gordon Jackson.

Yup, I used the "Nazis: A warning from history" as a stark example of how dire these type of productions are. Whether it's the big screen or tv, it's a waste of license money. Just emphasises the lack of creativity within British film and Television...
emotion-18.gif

chebby:plastic penguin:Andrew Everard:But not at all sure about the thread title: was Upstairs, Downstairs a remake? Or have you spent the afternoon glued to the Yesterday channel?

I think Andrew was referring to your use of the phrase... "another remake". It implies that the original 'Upstairs Downstairs' was itself a remake.

ANOTHER, as in yet more old series given a face-lift...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Yup, I used the "Nazis: A warning from history" as a stark example of how dire these type of productions are. Whether it's the big screen or tv, it's a waste of license money. Just emphasises the lack of creativity within British film and Television...
emotion-18.gif

So now we're saying Laurence Rees's series was 'dire', and 'a waste of license money'? Or are we drawing parallels between the remake of a drama series and wartime atrocities? Either way I can't help but feel you're on Godwinesque dodgy ground, pp...

Andrew Everard:

plastic penguin:Yup, I used the "Nazis: A warning from history" as a stark example of how dire these type of productions are. Whether it's the big screen or tv, it's a waste of license money. Just emphasises the lack of creativity within British film and Television...
emotion-18.gif

So now we're saying Laurence Rees's series was 'dire', and 'a waste of license money'? Or are we drawing parallels between the remake of a drama series and wartime atrocities? Either way I can't help but feel you're on Godwinesque dodgy ground, pp...

"Dodgy ground" is my middle name...

I'm sure there are some decent remakes, however, they are a minority. The vast majority are rubbish...

I'm just trying to support a worthy cause e.g. original tv and film concepts.

Andrew Everard:

plastic penguin:e.g. original tv and film concepts.

...Although of course structuralists would argue that there's no such thing...

I'm sure structuralists would about most things, but the bald realisation is that tv companies are making money (nothing wrong with that) by re-hashing outmoded programmes, usually with the finance of US companies, as opposed to investing in new talent.

The direct comparison is music acts from the 60's and 70's - a vast majority of the bigger names are still touring, yet only one or two of the original members are still relevant. The Hollies, Marmalade, The Four Tops... I could cite many more examples but wouldn't bore you.

I've been a huge supporter of new talent since 2004 - these old series play a huge part of our film and tv history, and therefore are sacrosanct, but we need to move on and develop up and coming talent, and not stagnate.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
As it happens, the OH has just borrowed the original U/D series on DVD from a friend. I think her words were something along the lines of: "after watching two episodes, I am astounded they made more than one episode at this point!"

Eeeee, nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

ESP2009:

As it happens, the OH has just borrowed the original U/D series on DVD from a friend. I think her words were something along the lines of: "after watching two episodes, I am astounded they made more than one episode at this point!"

Eeeee, nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

Exactly right - as a piece of nostagia it's fine, but a remake? it'll be like the Emperors new clothes....

Andrew Everard:Then again, it may be better. Until we watch it, we won't know...

True, it could be. But as Paul Hogan said after filming "Crocodile Dundee II".

"To make a sequel as successful as the orginal then it has to be twice as good."

If that theory stands true then the writers of Upstairs, downstairs have had a hellava challenge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts