Another Marantz MCR610 speaker question

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi, after spending some time researching mini hifi I settled on the Marantz 610 (after buying and taking back the CA One system because I realised it puts gaps between tracks on CDs when there isn't supposed to be, which is annoying! - the way it was designed apparently).

Anyway, the Marantz it is, which I've ordered and will be picking up on Saturday. I'd like a very short shortlist so can anyone suggest a good match for them under £200 please. I've heard the 610 hooked up to the MA BX1's but felt they were a tad bright for me. I'm guessing the BX2's will also be bright?

The system is for my home office and unfortunately the speakers will have to be about 1m behind me and close to the wall, so front ported speakers probably good?? I mainly play laid back / chill-out music whilst I'm working, both acoustic and electronic. On my current short-list I have:

MA BX2; Dali Zensor 1; Acoustic Energy 101; Wharfedale 220

Another option is for me to use my QA2020i's for the 610, which are on my current main set up in the lounge and get new speakers for that system (CA Azur 340 amp). Will floor standers make a big difference if I decide to go down that route, bearing in mind my budget. Possibly looking at the Tannoy DC4T or stretch to the DC6T or some MA BX5's. I cant really audition the floorstanders for the CA340...

I'd appeciate any input please.

Cheers.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
HI THERE, I dont know if this a help but I have the previous marantz cr603 so I,m assuming the sound is of a similar nature. I have the bw cm1s which the marantz compliments beautifully. Deep and smooth and endlessly listenable.........i understand there is now the cm1s2 ......i have also heard the marantz with the dali zensor 5, a very tiny floorstander which sounded excellent

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

You want a short list? This is it.

Dali Zensor 1.

When you have lived with them for a while take a deep breath, grab the credit card and treat yourself to a BK Gemini subwoofer to fill out the low end on the electronic stuff you play. Set up correctly it will make the Zensors sound huge.

matthewpiano

Dali Zensor 1 or the new Q Acoustics 3020. About the best options within your budget. Both nicely designed, good fun to listen to and musically captivating. Both will work very well with the Marantz or the Cambridge amp in your other system so you can try different combinations and see which way round you want things. Forget floorstanders at this sort of price. The cheapest ones just aren't very good and can't control their cabinet resonances properly.

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

So you wouldn't even recommend the tannoy DC 6t or MA bx5? What sort of price are we talking for an entry point for floor standers?

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
You want a short list? This is it.

Dali Zensor 1.

When you have lived with them for a while take a deep breath, grab the credit card and treat yourself to a BK Gemini subwoofer to fill out the low end on the electronic stuff you play. Set up correctly it will make the Zensors sound huge.

I've read / heard so many good things about the zensor 1's!

I'm also reading a lot of great reviews for the zensor 3. Above my ideal budget but may be stretching it to get them !!!??? *SCRATCH*

matthewpiano

DC6T and BX5 are about where floorstanders start being reasonable but they are above your stated budget.

If you are sticking within budget the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 are still available and at the bargain price of £99 these days. There's also the Mission MX1 and MX2. These are all excellent budget speakers, as are the Monitor Audio MR2 (essentially the BR2 and IME more satisfying than the BX2 that replaced the BR2).

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
DC6T and BX5 are about where floorstanders start being reasonable but they are above your stated budget.

If you are sticking within budget the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 are still available and at the bargain price of £99 these days. There's also the Mission MX1 and MX2. These are all excellent budget speakers, as are the Monitor Audio MR2 (essentially the BR2 and IME more satisfying than the BX2 that replaced the BR2).

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

I've seen dc6t and bx5 for £350, which is above my budget for the office set up but would consider extending budget for the main system. Sorry I could've have been clearer about that! Just not sure if I'm better off getting sticking with standmounts for now and save for better floorstanders in the future, and getting new stand mounts for the 610...

I assume these floorstanders be a vast improvement over the qa2020i's? Could the azur 340 drive them ok? And that the 2020i's would be good on the 610? Cheers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Zensor 1s are better than the 3s unless the extra (mostly irrelevant) bass is somehow important to you. Far better to add proper extension to the bass from a decent sub than the mid bass boost on the Zensor 3.

The '3 is by no means a poor speaker and in the right room it sounds great, but ideally it needs better control than the MCR610 is capable off to keep the bass tight, so in this case the '1 is a better bet.

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
My wife's going to kill me!

I've just ordered a set of Dali Zensor 5's after seeing an open box offer for £369. I bit the bullet and went way over my initial budget. I obviously havent heard them with my set up but they get such good reviews I didnt wat to miss out as it was the only one. They're smallish and front ported, which is good as one will have to be in a corner.

I'll justify to the Mrs by saying its safer for the little'un than the current standmounts :)

The QA2020i's will go upstairs onto the Marantz 610 when I get it. I may even replace the Q's with some Dali Zensor 1's in a few months...

Thanks for you're advice guys!

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Even though you have completely ignored it.......*unknw*

Anyway, good luck with the '5s.

Not completely, I may still get some Zensor 1's for the 610 in a few weeks or months.

I've really wanted floorstanders in the lounge for a while and after my initial post my train of thought started moving further towards upgrading the main system, as opposed to buying more standmounts. After reading rave reviews about the 5's and having seen the offer I seemed to be on an unstoppable ride towards them! I know its nuts without hearing them but the breaks weren't working (sorry for all the stupid journey analogies!)

Have you heard the 5's? It's not too late to cancel if you think I've been an idiot. I may just take your advice ;-)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
They are one of the favourite speakers at one of my local stores.

I recently auditioned them with an Arcam A19, their recomendation. I found the SQ to be perfectly ok in the sense that there were no obvious issues but overall I thought it unexciting, dull, bland and lacking expression.

I asked them to try a better amp so we switched to a Cambridge 651w power amplifier, that was so much livelier and more expressive, much more like it. I still thought it lacked a little in terms of 'sparkle' or presence for my taste so I asked to try an 851w but sadly they didn't have one.

Make of that as you will.

paulselwood

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I was loan zensor 5, last year. I too had them connect to arcam A19. The arcam is smooth amp, and the zensor 5 are smooth. You will find the sound to smooth, after few days. I love the look of the zensor 5, I think they are most nice looking speaker I seen. I think your better off getting stand mounts, or going second hand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts