Another ADM9T Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
J

jcbrum

The_Lhc said:
jcbrum said:
We should really have Ashley on the forum to answer these equiries, JD or someone, why don't you email him and tell him to post ?

I expect Ashley's lifetime ban from these forums might have something to do with it. None of these posts will be here for long.

Seems a silly thing to do to a successful and important British HiFi manufacturer.

They have been in business now for 25 years and have an established reputation for very high quality products.

If AVI is banned, (I thought all that had been sorted in the revisions), then it should be repealed.

Not to do so would seem to make What HiFi lack credibility and integrity.

JC

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
@ JC - Not sure if he would want that or would he?

You usually do a good job of politely and informed answering questions and the re-laying of any information from from AVI. I understand that the ADM's front port is optimized as far as can be. Unfortunately, distortion/time smear is inevitable as you probably agree, no matter how good the design. - They certainly sounded reasonably clean as far as I can remember but perhaps this could be further improved?

Its perhaps unfair to criticise them technically, considering what you get for the money but it is possible. The speakers USP is, as far as I know, low distortion. Best perhaps to not forget one of the main contributors to it.

regards

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
The_Lhc said:
jcbrum said:
We should really have Ashley on the forum to answer these equiries, JD or someone, why don't you email him and tell him to post ?

I expect Ashley's lifetime ban from these forums might have something to do with it. None of these posts will be here for long.

Seems a silly thing to do to a successful and important British HiFi manufacturer.

They have been in business now for 25 years and have an established reputation for very high quality products.

If AVI is banned, (I thought all that had been sorted in the revisions), then it should be repealed.

JC

Personally I think Ashley should be allowed to post on this forum, he is obviously very knowledgable and it would only serve to help answer questions people have on active designs.

I mean how many times has Maxflinn been banned and returned.

The AVI vs Passive is old news now and very boring. Let see if we cant all be friends. :)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
moon said:
jcbrum said:
The_Lhc said:
jcbrum said:

JC

Personally I think Ashley should be allowed to post on this forum, he is obviously very knowledgable and it would only serve to help answer questions people have on active designs.

The AVI vs Passive is old news now and very boring. Let see if we cant all be friends. :)
I don't think he should be allowed to post here. If you did that, all manufacturers should be given the same rights. If there werea tradesection, fair enough, but here is a good place to keep free of the endless marketing.

Besides, he has his own forum.

b

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
jcbrum said:
The_Lhc said:
jcbrum said:

I don't know the exact circumstances of the ban but it would have been due to personal behaviour, so presumably he wasn't capable of conducting himself in the manner required for membership (and when you see the kind of things he says about WHF staff on his own forum I can quite understand why they don't want him back).

He hasn't been allowed to return, he's been circumventing the bans by re-registering under different names, that's a very different thing.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
I don't think he should be allowed to post here. If you did that, all manufacturers should be given the same rights.

Representatives of any manufacturer are free to post here (AE, EB, KEF to name but three all do), they just need to abide by the same rules as the rest of us.

If there werea tradesection, fair enough, but here is a good place to keep free of the endless marketing.

One of which is that they're not permitted to engage in overt marketing, hence the recent moderation of a KEF post.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
The_Lhc said:
jcbrum said:

It was his own behaviour that led to it, AIUI.

And an equally established reputation for being incredibly unprofessional in their internet rantings.

Nonsense, it was the integrity of the forum that required the ban in the first place.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
moon said:
jcbrum said:
The_Lhc said:
jcbrum said:

I don't know the exact circumstances of the ban but it would have been due to personal behaviour, so presumably he wasn't capable of conducting himself in the manner required for membership (and when you see the kind of things he says about WHF staff on his own forum I can quite understand why they don't want him back).

He hasn't been allowed to return, he's been circumventing the bans by re-registering under different names, that's a very different thing.

fair one, I didnt know it had been That personal. I'm not for a sterile false forum, just interested in kit really.My music interest takes me to different places

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
moon said:
jcbrum said:
The_Lhc said:
jcbrum said:

fair one, I didnt know it had been That personal. I'm not for a sterile false forum, just interested in kit really.My music interest takes me to different places

J

jcbrum

jcbrum said:

The_Lhc said:
Nonsense, it was the integrity of the forum that required the ban in the first place.

Well it doesn't seem to be working in WHF's favour.

I thought there had been some sort of an amnesty following the forum's reorganisation, but if you don't want Ashley to post Lhc, then it's up to you to continue to enforce it, even if the membership do want input from AVI.

Threre seems to have been a steady drift of members across to the AVI forum, which seems to suggest there is lots of interest in AVI ADM loudspeakers.

JC

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
jcbrum said:

The_Lhc said:

I thought there had been some sort of an amnesty following the forum's reorganisation, but if you don't want Ashley to post Lhc, then it's up to you to continue to enforce it, even if the membership do want input from AVI.

Threre seems to have been a steady drift of members across to the AVI forum, which seems to suggest there is lots of interest in AVI ADM loudspeakers.

JC

and a genuine interest in all active makes.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
jcbrum said:
If AVI is banned, (I thought all that had been sorted in the revisions), then it should be repealed. Not to do so would seem to make What HiFi lack credibility and integrity.
The_Lhc said:

I don't think it's "working" for or against WHF, I don't think it makes any real difference.

I thought there had been some sort of an amnesty following the forum's reorganisation

Not that I noticed.

but if you don't want Ashley to post Lhc, then it's up to you to continue to enforce it,

? Nothing to do with me guv'nor. I'm just explaining why your request isn't likely to happen.

even if the membership do want input from AVI.

A small part of the membership might do but an equally small part of the membership probably don't. The majority probably don't care one way or the other.

A handful of people are members over there, reflecting the numbers that actually own AVIs, plus a number who take great delight in constantly attacking the magazine and its staff and find like-minded individuals on the AVI forum (and no little encouragement at times).

As I said in another thread a week or so ago, I'm interested in AVIs speakers but I'm not remotely interested in putting any of my hard-earned money (ok, money) into Ashley's pocket.

Either way, the fact that threads that mention AVI constantly result in verbal fist-fights is really not WHFs fault (they almost never take part in them) and the presence of Ashley on these forums would not help that situation one little bit.

J

jcbrum

Seems that most people aren't very bothered about risking fights, Lhc, but are more interested in discussing HiFi. Are you sure it isn't you who is actually the cause of all these problems ? ;)

JC

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
Seems that most people aren't very bothered about risking fights, Lhc, but are more interested in discussing HiFi. Are you sure it isn't you who is actually the cause of all these problems ? ;)

You think I start those AVI bun fights? Think again, those are the threads I take the least part in, they don't need any of my help.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
As I said in another thread a week or so ago, I'm interested in AVIs speakers but I'm not remotely interested in putting any of my hard-earned money (ok, money) into Ashley's pocket.

I don't know how interested you really are, but these might satisfy your curiosity whilst maintaining your personal standpoint.

White ADM9Ts

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
The_Lhc said:

I don't know how interested you really are, but these might satisfy your curiosity whilst maintaining your personal standpoint.

White ADM9Ts

If they stay at that price very interested! Not entirely sure about the white but they're on the watch list now...

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Good actives will be around £500 used on the bay.

For that money you would find Quested SB7s or Dynaudio BM5As, so this will be a minimum that they are likely to reach. Most likely they'll fetch over £700 and for this money I'd be tempted to get a new pair of 9Ts.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Just a quick follow up to my initial review.

I have now used the ADMs in an AV role and they perform just the same, as you might expect. The clarity of the vocals are a strong point. AV is another situation where you might like to add a sub though, but then this would be expected in most AV setups anyway.

Another thing that is apparent is how quiet the speakers are, with very little in the way of hum or hiss without music playing (you need to physically put your ear against the grill to hear it), certainly an improvement over the BM5As, but then this might be down to the way in which the ADMs deal with any mains born noise as much as any minor weakness in the BM5's.

There isn't really any more that I can say about them that hasn't been said already, so I'll just get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts