Question Anime nait 5si

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Morning all, Judy a quick question re this amp. Is it necessary to use special speaker wire. I've been reading on line that you need to use it to get the full benefit of the amp.

Thanks for any help.

Regards.

D

Deleted member 195594

Some Naim purists insist that using Naim's own NAC A5 cable is the only way to go. This was true for older Naim amps, but the Nait 5si is not in that category.

I've owned the 5si and the XS2 quite recently and have not used Naim's speaker cable on either.

The older amps are engineered in such a way that the NAC A5 was an integral component to the functioning of the amps (I'm no engineers so don't totally understand the principles involved, but this info is out there on the Web if you care to look deeper in to it.

The later amps, such as the 5si, XS series, and Supernaits do not have this limitation.

I last looked at this a couple of months ago, and Naim’s generic manual for integrated amps still cautions about using their own wire and a minimum length of 3.5m too.

As @painter24 says, the newer ones should be fine as you use decent ‘audiophile’ cable from the likes of Chord, Atlas, QED. Avoid weird woven stuff that might have extreme capacitance or anything with boxes fitted! Best of all, for 100% certainty, ask Naim or your dealer directly.

See section 1.2 on page E1 here…

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately, or rather fortunately not.
Any amp manufacturer that insists their devices will not function correctly without using their cables is best avoided......

A little harsh tbh, it did used to be for technical reasons which I don’t believe exist in the lower end newer devices anymore but don’t quote me on that. If you are using older devices (chrome bummer for example) you need to follow the advice still as it can lead to osolation, over heating and then a pop. Whether true or not it will void OPs warranty using something different than what stated.

But if that doesn’t bother you, it doesn’t need to be there cable it just needs to be to there spec. It just they guarantee it.

Anyhow OP, the dirty secret is to use linn k20 it’s built to naim’s “spec” big circus about it back in the day that lead to naim redesigning and creating the naca5. Linn k20 is the older naca4.
The k20 is (well was don’t know if it still is) nice and cheap a well machined.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Just stay well clear of silver speaker cable with Naim amps....any good quality copper cable will be fine, linn k20 (aka nac a4) can be had on the auction site at very affordable prices and works very well.

A little harsh tbh, it did used to be for technical reasons which I don’t believe exist in the lower end newer devices anymore but don’t quote me on that. If you are using older devices (chrome bummer for example) you need to follow the advice still as it can lead to osolation, over heating and then a pop. Whether true or not it will void OPs warranty using something different than what stated.

But if that doesn’t bother you, it doesn’t need to be there cable it just needs to be to there spec. It just they guarantee it.

Anyhow OP, the dirty secret is to use linn k20 it’s built to naim’s “spec” big circus about it back in the day that lead to naim redesigning and creating the naca5. Linn k20 is the older naca4.
The k20 is (well was don’t know if it still is) nice and cheap a well machined.
my point exactly.
Using a third party cable will void warranty??
Hardly likely to affect the OPs amp.

daytona600

Any amp manufacturer that insists their devices will not function correctly without using their cables is best avoided......
Still using DIN plugs no longer in use since the 1970s . RCA/XLR industrty standard for decades

Still using DIN plugs no longer in use since the 1970s . RCA/XLR industrty standard for decades
Plagiarism will get you nowhere...... :)
To be fair nothing wrong with the principle of DIN plugs, I had them on many pieces of kit in the past.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Have you kicked the Elements into touch?
Never heard it as I didn't win the auction on eBay. To be honest I'm going around in circles re amps. Been reading about Arcam sa20....Audiolab 8300a, Roksan attessa and Rega elex r on line.

I'm also having a complete re-think re my system. Over the last 8 months or so I've been listening to tidal more and more and haven't felt the need to listen to my LPs....the hassle of changing sides etc etc.

So I'm thinking of selling the lot and going down the active route.

Regards

Reactions: Al ears
Never heard it as I didn't win the auction on eBay. To be honest I'm going around in circles re amps. Been reading about Arcam sa20....Audiolab 8300a, Roksan attessa and Rega elex r on line.

I'm also having a complete re-think re my system. Over the last 8 months or so I've been listening to tidal more and more and haven't felt the need to listen to my LPs....the hassle of changing sides etc etc.

Regards
Hope you have fun whichever way you decide to go.

Regards
Fair play. Whatever you choose won't be a plumb, whether it's a trad passive or active.

I can't advise on the Elements, but if it's close to the Pulse it'll work well with the Neats.

If I was to start over again and want a digital set-up, actives would be on my list to demo, as would the Leema Quasar.

Good luck

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, that didn't last long. After talking with my wife she said she would be 'Mortified' if we sold the records and TT.

So they stay and I'll keep looking at buying an amp. Not really disappointed as I probably would have regretted selling the LPs.

Regards.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Well, that didn't last long. After talking with my wife she said she would be 'Mortified' if we sold the records and TT.

So they stay and I'll keep looking at buying an amp. Not really disappointed as I probably would have regretted selling the LPs.

Regards.
You definitely would have regretted selling your records, I done it around 4 years ago and moved to the Naim Superuniti as I thought at the time, streaming and a streamlined system was what I was wanting to do, I was wrong and regretted my decision after a year or so, especially as I saw the prices of the vinyl I sold off rocket in price, early nineties vinyl is pretty rare and I had a good few first pressings of the era . doh!!🤔

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts