Angled speakers?

mpmuk

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I am looking for speakers that would fit a Marantz PM6005 amplifier. The difficulty is this: my walls are full of decorative stuff, which means that I must put the speakers near the ceiling and angled down. The speakers I have looked at (eg, Dali Zensor 3) are meant to be placed flat on (or near) a wall and not at a corner (so as to avoid too much reflection too soon). Are there any speakers *designed* for placement near a corner and at an angle? Thanks...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi mpmuk, welcome to the forum!

The first brand that comes to mind is Anthony Gallo Acoustics. They have these little globes, that use the boundary gain from two or three adjacent walls (ceiling included) to up the bass. Elipson have something similar, but I'm not sure they provide the proper wall brackets.

If they sound too bass-light, you might consider the addition of a small subwoofer, that you can hide away more easily.

What is your budget, btw?

mpmuk

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I'll try and check them out in my local dealers.

I'm surprised, however, by the small size. I had larger speakers in mind. The good news is that all my walls are solid brick. With appropriate mounts, they can take the weight.

mpmuk

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, DocG. I wouldn't have guessed - to my eyes they look tike things aimed at fashionistas rather than audiophile. I'll check them out at my local shops here in Leeds.

I'm also surprised about the small size. I had larger speakers in mind. The good news is that all my walls are solid brick. With appropriate mounts, they can take the weight.

As for budget, some £300?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
mpmuk said:
Thanks, DocG. I wouldn't have guessed - to my eyes they look tike things aimed at fashionistas rather than audiophile. I'll check them out at my local shops here in Leeds.

I'm also surprised about the small size. I had larger speakers in mind. The good news is that all my walls are solid brick. With appropriate mounts, they can take the weight.

As for budget, some £300?

No, AG = proper engineering. But they might be a tad expensive. In the clearance corner on their UK website, you find a pair of Nucleus Micro Ti's for £200. You'll have to add brackets, so not much left of the stated budget...

Do you have any demo opportunity nearby? With a stated frequency response of 80 Hz - 18 kHz, you may want to try if they're not too basslight to your taste. Adding a subwoofer undoubtedly helps, but raises the cost significantly...

Another (maybe unexpected) suggestion: Bose! What? The lifestyle speakers, as un-hifi as they come? Well, yes. I'm not talking about the little cubes and double-cubes, though. But the Direct/Reflecting speakers might be worth an audition. Not sure about UK-pricing, but the 201 is certainly within budget, the 301 maybe. Bose don't give specifications of their speakers, but your ears could tell you if you like them. They can be wall-mounted with dedicated brackets too. Just a thought.

TRENDING THREADS