Android ICE

TobesEtc

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Situation: have a car fitted with Dension GW500 and an Apple doc. It streamed music digitally out of the Apple into the stereo and could be controlled by the Apple acontrols.

No I no longer have an Apple iPod but I have got a Samsung Galaxy S2. So, what I'd like to do is change the doc so that the SGS2 can be connected via it's micro-USB port to both charge and play music. I know I can use the top 3.5mm plug, but trying to avoid that for sound and appearances.

I see these alternatives:

Bluetooth: Connect a bluetooth receive (A2DP?) to the GW500 and stream music from the Samsung that way? Is that possible? Which bluetooth stream can connect to either stereo phono plug OR the Apple connector (which means the new bit has to be female apple).

Cable: Is there a cable that can connect micro-usb to stereo phone or apple connector AND stream music from an Android device? (the device will output HD video via that socket with the right adapter/software, so it must be technically possible to route the audion to that plug).

Do I need a special app to do either of these?

Is there an alternative to the Dension box (my car stereo does not otherwise have aux-in and I don't want to use FM)?

Why have the Android phone makers not wised-up to this market? My phone is Samsung but surely this is spot-on Sony's home turf?

Thoughts? Ideas? Links?

Thanks people!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I've wondered about this myself, I don't know if using the usb connection would allow you to present the phones SD card as storage that the headunit can read directly, like it does when you connect it to a PC. That way you'd be avoiding the phones playback completely, although you would be reliant on the headunit being able to decode your music (I have flac files on my phone and I don't know mnay headunits that can play those for example).

TobesEtc

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Yes, it is possible to connect the mUSB port to the GW500 USB-in and then mount as a drive. The HU then reads the files. However, the controls on my HU are useless, so I wanted to play from the Phone, not the HU.

TRENDING THREADS