Analogue to Digital

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - currently I am on terrestial tv with access only to BBC 1 & 2, ITV1 and Ch 4.

I have just bought a new digital tv with Freeview built-in and need to know what else I need to install to get a picture. Do I need a digi box and/or something else ?

I do not have Sky or Cable, but just relying on the analoge to digital conversion.

Thanks for any help

MrandMrsAnalogue

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If your TV has Freeview built-in, all you need do is connect it to your aerial and allow it to run a station scan. It will find all the channels available on Freeview, and you're ready to view.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
A rooftop aerial & you're good to go.
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I appreciate the fast answer - I have tried that and get a very snowy picture, so guess I need to investigate the aerial/reception. I have a 3-way splitter box in the roof and get the snowy reception with just the new digital tv switched on. Any other ideas or suggestions ?

A

Anonymous

Had this with my parents set checked throught the settings and found they had the analogue tuner on.
Might be just worth checking you are actually veiwing the dtv (digital) tuner and not the atv (analogue) tuner.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If the picture is snowy, and you still have just the four channels, you're still on the TV's analogue tuner. Check the manual for how to switch to, and scan, the digital tuner.

If there are still reception problems you may require a replacement/overhaul of your aerial system: these do deteriorate over time, especially the parts exposed to the elements.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I second getting a digital terrestrial optimised aerial installed by a CAI approved professional.

We get a signal strong enough to cook popcorn in this area, but even so, the old style (analogue optimised) aerial was still only getting 60 percent signal strength. (On Freeview)

After a complete upgrade 2 - 3 years ago (poles, aerials, cables) the signal has never been below 90 percent even on the 'weakest' channels when checked. Most are 100.

Your TV remote should have a button marked TV/DTV or similar. Press this and you will probably find the television is already auto-tuned to all the Freeview channels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts