Analogue to digital

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108165

Gents, the hub of my digital playback system is an ageing multimedia PC running Vista. It's perfect for playback as it, unusually, has a digital coax-out to my NA7004 network player (DAC), by-passing the internal sound card on the PC, no problem here so far.

I'm currently attempting to rip my vinyl collection to digital using audacity but have come across a problem, the SQ on the recorded vinyl is nowhere near perfect so I'm thinking that my internal sound card on the PC is pants. I'm wondering if either an external sound card or analogue to digital converter is the way forward.

PC's are not a strong area for me so if I'm talking complete rubbish then I apologise. If not then does anyone have suggestions as to how I should proceed in this venture. Many thanks.

Gray

Computers aren't my strong point either Doug, but I've got vinyl that I want to digitise - properly or not at all. So I'm interested in your experience and will, like you, be reading the replies from others.

I presume that you're putting your signals, after preamplification, into the PC at line level and the internal soundcard is doing the A to D conversion that Audacity eventually gets.

For some time I've been looking into standalone ADCs (if only they were as abundant as DACs)

You may well have seen the ADL gt40a model and, in particular, the Korg DAC10R which incorporates a phono pre-amp and will even convert to DSD as well as the highest quality PCM digital.

Little doubt that this would be great for you and me but it's currently £513 at Bax shop, though it has been as 'low' as £475!

Now let's hear from others. Maybe someone is using a good, reasonably priced, converter (from say, Behringer for example)

D

Deleted member 108165

Gray said:
I presume that you're putting your signals, after preamplification, into the PC at line level and the internal soundcard is doing the A to D conversion that Audacity eventually gets.

For some time I've been looking into standalone ADCs (if only they were as abundant as DACs)

You may well have seen the ADL gt40a model and, in particular, the Korg DAC10R which incorporates a phono pre-amp and will even convert to DSD as well as the highest quality PCM digital.

Little doubt that this would be great for you and me but it's currently £513 at Bax shop, though it has been as 'low' as £475!

Now let's hear from others. Maybe someone is using a good, reasonably priced, converter (from say, Behringer for example)

Yep, as you said.

Looked at both your suggestions but not sure if they are overkill for the basic requirements we need. I just need something to convert the incoming signal to high fidelity digital and by-pass the internal soundcard. Hopefully someone cleverer than us will be able to assist *biggrin*

Gray

Yes, perhaps something more like this. Still (slightly better than) CD quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA222-U-Control-Ultra-Low-Interface/dp/B0023BYDHK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1480276141&sr=8-4&keywords=behringer+usb+interface

(Copy / paste necessary, sorry.)

D

Deleted member 108165

Gray said:
Yes, perhaps something more like this. Still (slightly better than) CD quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA222-U-Control-Ultra-Low-Interface/...

(Copy / paste necessary, sorry.)

Could do the job, I'll need to do some research. That Korg sure does look the business though *man_in_love*

Come on any tech savvy guys out there that could give us a hand... please *help*

D

Deleted member 108165

Hey Gray, head on over to vinylengine, there's a whole section on vinyl ripping over there. The Korg is looking like the mutts nuts. Think I may have found the problem with my pc, when recording in audacity the output is much lower than when the LP is played straight from the turntable; a playback volume difference of 11 o'clock on the volume dial for the rips compared to 9 o'clock with the tt direct to the amp, so it's a gain difference.

Very difficult to volume-match but on the whole I think my soundcard may actually be doing a reasonable job after all. I didn't notice this initially as I was using heaphones for monitoring and editing on the pc, it was only when I compared the rips and LP in realtime playback through my amp that the volume issue became obvious. Cloth ears and no led marker on the volume dial doesn't help *smile* In the search for ultimate quality I'll still investigate further.

Gray

As for that Korg. Easy to desire, hard to justify. There must surely be a rental market there somewhere.

Back in the real world and your Audacity level issues. From what you describe, I suspect that your peak recorded amplitude levels may be between about -20 to -10dB.

I was wondering if you've tried 'Normalizing' the level with Audacity, like this:

Highlight your recorded waveform.

Click 'effect'.

About halfway down the list of effects, select 'Normalize'.

The dialogue box then gives you an option to set your level. Try -1dB, then 'OK'

With luck, the file playback will now match the direct TT volume level into the amp.

If it's too loud, -3 to -5dB may be more suitable.

D

Deleted member 108165

Great minds think alike as I also immediately thought about a rental market for the Korg... Even better idea, you buy one and I'll rent it from you @ £5 pcm *biggrin*

I would suspect the same regarding my recording levels too, that is if I didn't have the peak recording amplitude always caressing -3dB. I'm an Audacity novice so I haven't tried the Normalize function yet, but will do now; thank you for the tip. I have tried the Amplify function and this seldom gives me much more than 1dB headroom available.

Gray

DougK said:
Great minds think alike as I also immediately thought about a rental market for the Korg... Even better idea, you buy one and I'll rent it from you @ £5 pcm *biggrin*

I would suspect the same regarding my recording levels too, that is if I didn't have the peak recording amplitude always caressing -3dB. I'm an Audacity novice so I haven't tried the Normalize function yet, but will do now; thank you for the tip. I have tried the Amplify function and this seldom gives me much more than 1dB headroom available.

I'd just need a small deposit of £500.

I would have thought a site like Vinyl Engine could easily round up 10 potential vinyl rippers. For £50 each they get a months use and a raffle ticket. After 10 months, the raffle winner keeps it. So for £50 you get optimally archived vinyl and a 1 in 10 chance of owning a good DAC for the playback.

Your recordings were not that low then, peaking around -3dB. I'm hoping the jump to -1dB (or more) might do the trick for you. (there will certainly be some audible difference).

I have to admire those behind clever, free things like Audacity and the excellent RuneAudio that I use to drive the Raspberry Pi as a streamer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts