Analog vs. Digital ins and outs

Chep

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I realized I am lost in analog and digital inputs and outputs (audio or video)

Is there a list of what is what? Sure that some of them are clear to me like USB or HDMI are digital,, but I got completely lost when I reviewed Arcam A19.

It has only audio inputs. OK, so? Will I be able to connect Radio streamer there? Maybe, if it has analog output right? What are they? Will I be able to link it to Oppo 103D? The same maybe I presume.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The Arcam only has analogue inputs - 6x line level RCA inputs on the back, 1x Phono input (for connecting a turntable - nothing else can be used on that input), and one 3.5mm input on the front (e.g. for connecting an MP3 player). So essentially you can connect directly anything which has analogue outputs of this kind.

If you have a digital source which only has digital outputs (e.g. digital optical or coaxial, or USB), then you would need an external DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter). This will have some digital inputs - there are hundreds of different kinds made by all sorts of manufacturers and at varying price levels. It depends what model you get, but they will usually have both digital optical and digital coaxial inputs, and then an analogue output. So you would connect your digital source to the DAC, and then the DAC to the Arcam amplifier.

The Oppo Blu-ray player you mention has digital optical, digital coaxial, USB and analogue outputs - so you've got your pick there as to whether you connect via the analogue outputs direct to the stereo amplifier, or connect one of the digital outputs into a DAC which is then connected into the amplifier.

Chep

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
and does it sound as a good combo?

Arcam FMJ A19

Oppo 103EU

Pioneer N50

Focal Aria 926?

since Arcam is presented as sensitive for partering with other gadgets, how do you think this would work together?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts