Analog Interconnects

Alfi

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
I am looking for advice which interconnects are the most suitable for connecting AV Receiver and Blu-ray player from Pioneer? At the moment I am using HDMI cable from Audioquest to send video and audio signal from the player to the receiver. Now I want to make use of 5.1 analog audio out on my player. I am looking for neutral cables, since I would like to avoid pushing my system additionally to the ‘’bright side’’. Speakers are Monitor Audio RX.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

TrevC

Alfi said:
I am looking for advice which interconnects are the most suitable for connecting AV Receiver and Blu-ray player from Pioneer? At the moment I am using HDMI cable from Audioquest to send video and audio signal from the player to the receiver. Now I want to make use of 5.1 analog audio out on my player. I am looking for neutral cables, since I would like to avoid pushing my system additionally to the ‘’bright side’’. Speakers are Monitor Audio RX.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

They do some nice ones on ebay for a few quid. They will, of course, all sound the same in your application. look for good feedback. Alternatively use whatever ones you have lying around.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
They do some nice ones on ebay for a few quid. They will, of course, all sound the same in your application. look for good feedback. Alternatively use whatever ones you have lying around.

Is it the weekend again already?

Julian Stevens

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
All cable manufacturers claim that the tonal balance of their cables is neutral and/or that each model in their range offers the best performance available at its particular price point. In terms of how much it's possible to spend on a set of cables, the sky's the limit (see Stereophile's recommended components listing) and buying an expensive cable is no guarantee of superior performance in any given system. With cables perhaps more than any other area, the ratio of extra performance relative to increasing price is a pretty cruel curve.

Reviewers can formulate their opinions only on the basis of the results that a particular cable delivers in their particular system so, for reviews to offer any meaningful indication of how good a cable is, you need to read half a dozen by different people with a wide range of different systems, musical tastes and personal preferences. Reviewers hardly ever agree on the performance of anything and, even if they do, none of their systems is likely to be the same as yours.

As with any hi-fi component or accessory, the only way to avoid buying something that may have received favourable reviews but which doesn't deliver the goods in your particular system and which you can't then return or sell on without suffering a large loss (assuming you can sell it at all) is to try before you buy. If you can't try - in your home, in your system - before you buy then don't buy. Whenever I've bought without trying I've regretted it, as my large box of redundant cables amply testifies. Some cables I've bought and found (for me) to have been a waste of money within five minutes of installing them (and I couldn't see how they were going to get significantly better however long I burned them in).

You have to accept that it's simply not possible to try every potentially great cable, even if you're a professional reviewer. Some professional reviewers (e.g. Ken Kessler) get so many cables thrust upon them to try that they become completely jaded with the entire subject area. And, of course, what may sound better initially may in fact be just different. We've all been there.

For some years I've used Van Damme interconnects (analogue and digital) and speaker cables, principally because they're what PMC use and recommend. I use PMC speakers, Bryston amplifiers, D:AC and Bryton's 10B-SUB electronic crossover but a vintage Wadia 8 CD transport, which is very good (after 24 years!) but not as ideal a match for Bryston electronics as a Bryston CD player would be. Visitors have generally found my system to be impressive but all have agreed that its sound has been afflicted by a certain glary brightness and lack of openness.

Having tried many possible remedies to this problem, without success, I've been forced to conclude that the only solution is to explore different cables (groan). Thankfully, my local consultant (Ian Vaudin of V'Audio) has lent me an Abbey Road/Studio Connections digital interconnect and a pair of Reference Plus balanced analogue interconnects and they're great. I was extremely fortunate to find a mint condition pre-owned digital interconnect on eBay at half RRP - it was even BNC terminated (the Wadia transport's output sockets are XLR, BNC, TosLink optical or Wadia's own optical connection for use with their own decoding computers - but no phono). The analogue i/c's I had to buy new, but I got a small discount. At £2,000/pr, the latest platinum interconnects are out of the question - unless I were to get to try a pair here at home and be so bowled over by what they do that I just have to have them. But, even then, I'd have to take a deep breath.

I have no way of knowing if these wires are as good as or better than the vast range of alternatives out there and no review or any other audiophile could have told me the solution to my particular system-specific problem. But the ones I've been able to try at home and which I've ended up buying do what I need. I may even buy another pair of the analogue i/c's to go between the D:AC and the pre-amp.

Try before you buy.

abacus

Pop down to your local pro music store (Or online shop) and get some from there, as you will get the typical cables used in pro studios (The ones that make the music and films you listen too) at a fraction of the price of so called Hi-Fi cables.

Avoid Hi-Fi cable manufactures at all costs, as they will try and sell you magic at an exorbitant cost (BTW, there is also no such thing as cable burn in so ignore anybody that says there is) so that they can make massive profits. (The cable they produce also makes no difference to the sound, (If you look at most they they now say that they believe they make a difference, as the ASA has clamped down on them making claims that they could not prove) except in the gullible Hi-Fi Nuts (Golden eared brigade) heads)

Hope this helps

Bill

Julian Stevens

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Don't overlook the equally crucial importance of power cords, which I've recently discovered make at least as big a difference as interconnects. I now use Abbey Road/Studio Connections ones on my Bryston pre and power amp's which can sometimes sound a bit hard and steely. Not cheap but they do what's claimed.

The digital interconnect between your CD transport and D:AC is also crucial to taming digititis. I was very lucky to get a pre-owned Abbey Road/Studio Connections one via eBay for half the new price (which really is a bit extortionate for just 1m of wire) -- BNC terminated as well. Avoid phono:BNC adapters, they do compromise the sound.

abacus

Julian Stevens said:
Don't overlook the equally crucial importance of power cords, which I've recently discovered make at least as big a difference as interconnects. I now use Abbey Road/Studio Connections ones on my Bryston pre and power amp's which can sometimes sound a bit hard and steely. Not cheap but they do what's claimed.

The digital interconnect between your CD transport and D:AC is also crucial to taming digititis. I was very lucky to get a pre-owned Abbey Road/Studio Connections one via eBay for half the new price (which really is a bit extortionate for just 1m of wire) -- BNC terminated as well. Avoid phono:BNC adapters, they do compromise the sound.

Can you provide verifiable evidence of this, (As no manufacture of the cables have yet been able too, hence they have been pulled up by the ASA) or have you just changed them without removing any outside influences, thus making your observations only relevant to you alone. (And should be ignored by others without first testing for themselves)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts