An upgrade to my Yamaha RX-V1700?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm tempted to upgrade my Yamaha RX-V1700 AV amp.  Its a great amp but not too up to date, so is it lacking?

I play blu rays via my PS3 and also have Sky HD.

Would I benefit from a new AV amp that can decode the new HD soundtracks (As I understand it, my PS3 already does this, so Its not a big issue, I get similar results with the PCM feed?) 

Would an Arcam AV280 be an upgrade to what I have already even though it doesn't decode HD

Or am I looking at something like the Yamaha DSP-AX763 which can decode HD?

Also I have several HDMI sources, PS3, Apple TV and Sky HD

If I get an amp that only has 2 HDMI inputs, would a HDMI switch unit degrade the performance? 

A

Anonymous

I used to have the 1700 and upgraded to the 1800 (which loads of places are doing cheap at the mo, or better still the 2800 is very cheap if you want network capabilities). I didnt think I would see much of a difference but I honestly thought I had new speakers!!

If you like the way the Yamaha sounds and works, its well worth a look, the 2800 has a slicker operating system but then past initially setting up, who really looks at it?! (unless for networking I suppose!)

Plus, the 1800 has 3 hdmi inputs and one output so you save the money on the hdmi switch unit!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As stated, if you like the Yamaha and the way it works, the obvious step is the RXV1900. To me, it sounded a bit better than the 3800, which may be due to it's multi-point auto setup, so you will see a fair difference between your 1700 to the 1900. Plus, you'll be up to date.

Your PS3 will change the DTS-MA and True HD soundtracks into LPCM. Later, if you add a dedicated BD player, you'll be able to bitstream the HD audio signals for your amp to decode, which I prefer to do.

TRENDING THREADS