An interesting variation to the Wife Acceptance Factor

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey, it's Christmas time for everyone... so having paid for a good share of gifts, I decided to treat myself to one as well. A new, and first, setup. A-S500, CD6004, BX5, BXW10... But that's not the point. Surprisingly, the money was no problem. Did not have to go undercover, justify the expense, nor any of it. "Well if that makes you happy", she said... Of course it does! But that's still not the point.

Brand new units of each separate are on their way... and almost as soon arriving, I hope. So it happens that upon finishing the necessary modifications to my speakers wires tonight, I realized there was some huge logistic problem, in the form of a great, green, spiky thing. Of course... :wall: It couldn't all be that easy, could it?

So back to the wife, and deciding to play it tactical, I just use the old, Oh-I-forgot-there's-just-that-one-thing, and to keep it to a decent, competitive level, I combine it with the old, exagerated guilt routine... Of course, she can't see it coming... "Would you please...", she says. Master of my blunt move, I go all in with the derisive detour :

- Nothing there, honey, I was just thinking how amazing a time Christmas is...

- Of course you were...

- ...and I just thought, well it's all good, all fine and beautiful, but after Christmas, Christmas is done, right?

- Right...?

- Well... you know I'm gonna get those "speakers things" quite soon, right?

- Hmmmm, hmmm...

- I've reviewed it carefully with our household ecosystem expert, you know the guy (...), and he assured me there was no way in the world such Hi-Fi components would cohabit within the same space than our Christmas tree... they are territorial things, those components..."

- I don't see the problem, as soon as we're done with that New Year's Eve supper, the tree will be all yours to undo.

- I know that, but you DO know that I'm gonna get those "speakers things" QUITE soon, don't you?

- And you DO know that there's no way in hell you're undoing that tree straight after Christmas, I don't care how many reports your ecosystem expert sends me...

- Honey, please, I would never do that, Christmas is such a sacred thing... I'd just move the darn tree, AFTER Christmas.

- Move it WHERE? You yourself told me there was no other place we could give it enough room!

- Well... Of course that was one month ago… but I thought about that too, and… there are people in this world who don't have the chance we have..."

- This tree is NOT moving from THERE

- … or perhaps the opposite corner of the room would do.

- Great, that settles it! We’ll just have to do without the couch, it’s a no-brainer! Could you not just wait 3 or 4 days more, you child?

- It’s a whole week you’re talking about, and nope, don’t think I can. See there’s that label on the boxes, « Unit will self destruct if not opened immediately », and there’s just nothing I can do about that.

- Well if it’s just that, you’ll have to open them boxes as soon as you’ll get them. And just for your safety : make sure to leave the tree alone!

So, as I’ve clearly won that argument, I’m left with two very sensible choices… for I am not an impulsive man, I can be patient.

1- Throw down a wall.

2- Use the chainsaw to give that tree a more military haircut.

With those options in mind, I wish you all the best of times!

P.S. Ooohhh ooh… Option number 3 : Buy a brand new Panasonic 50GT30 to make her happy… and justify moving the tree. She’s a TV lover, and well… I don’t hate that one myself. Would certainly be better than the actual one…

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
You need to remember that your new system won't be worth listening to until you've run it in :)

Just connect it all up and get it playing something/anything until after the tree is gone. you'll then be able to set it up and start listening properly to a fully burned in system and your ears will thank you for it.

Sorry mate, best consolation I can offer ;)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I have this problem every year - "There's no way the Christmas tree can go there !!! that is directly in the projection line when I put the big screen up !!! " I'm not going five weeks without my projector!!

So don't just think about this year - what happens next year when the tree needs to be put somewhere ?

All I'm saying is "Think strategically" - look for the long-term answer.

Part of my strategy was to buy "A Christmas Carol" (Jim Carrey edition - fabulous) on blu-ray. Won't look its best on small screen and obviously I've got lashings of Christmas spirit just to buy the film in the first place....

Perhaps your tv-buying approach might be the answer:grin:

A

Anonymous

PhilBlvdElec said:
So, as I’ve clearly won that argument, I’m left with two very sensible choices… for I am not an impulsive man, I can be patient.

1- Throw down a wall.

[...]

Option number 3 : Buy a brand new Panasonic 50GT30 to make her happy… and justify moving the tree. She’s a TV lover, and well… I don’t hate that one myself. Would certainly be better than the actual one…

Option number 4: Leave your wife :shifty: I did, no more problems of this type :grin:

BTW arguing over the hifi wasnt the reason why I left :help:

A

Anonymous

visionary said:
You need to remember that your new system won't be worth listening to until you've run it in :)

Just connect it all up and get it playing something/anything until after the tree is gone. you'll then be able to set it up and start listening properly to a fully burned in system and your ears will thank you for it.

Sorry mate, best consolation I can offer ;)

Thanks for trying, though I don't believe speakers burning-in makes that much of a difference :shifty: ... I appreciate the support, mind you, and the underlying humour ;) ... But thinking about it, I'd be quite happy, if it does have to burn-in, to hear it first person along the way. Happy Holidays! :cheers:

A

Anonymous

DandyCobalt said:
...don't just think about this year - what happens next year when the tree needs to be put somewhere ?

All I'm saying is "Think strategically" - look for the long-term answer.

Part of my strategy was to buy "A Christmas Carol" (Jim Carrey edition - fabulous) on blu-ray. Won't look its best on small screen and obviously I've got lashings of Christmas spirit just to buy the film in the first place....

Perhaps your tv-buying approach might be the answer:grin:

Yeah... problem is, it does fit on the same TV unit we were using for the last TV... new TV just fits the top all the better. So no space is lost, and same furniture moving is possible, and will make of listening to music a nightmare... but for TV it will be just fine anyway, so she won't mind... I'LL DO. :doh: So wasn't that bright a move, honestly, perhaps did just smooth the transition for this year. But hey, I got a new TV, so... All the best, my friend! :wave:

A

Anonymous

Dr Lodge said:
Option number 4: Leave your wife :shifty: I did, no more problems of this type :grin:

That was both very funny and very sad. The :shifty: little guy I still laugh... I can appreciate, of course, that your situation was probably not the same as mine... :grin: So probably it's just the best in your case... but in my case, I would not even enjoy the darn system if my daughter and my wife were not with me. :cry:

Hope you're having a great time, for those of us who can't always do what they want!! :)

Cheers! :dance:

Thanks to all for replying, I appreciate!

A

Anonymous

Dr Lodge said:
PhilBlvdElec said:

1- Throw down a wall.

[...]

Option number 3 : Buy a brand new Panasonic 50GT30 to make her happy… and justify moving the tree. She’s a TV lover, and well… I don’t hate that one myself. Would certainly be better than the actual one…

"I left"... is that a typo?? I'm guessing it should have said "she"?? ;)

Seriously though. To the OP. Is it not possible to simply use the Hifi in a bedroom for now?

I'm lucky in that I use my TV system in a long living room, and the tree only slightly obscures the rear left speaker, and that my main listening position is at the PC! ha.

John Duncan

My christmas tree arrangement actually gives the speakers a bit more room to breathe. We have a sofa in the bay window, either side of which sit the PMCs, obscured a little by the sofa arm. The sofa's moved down the other end of the room, and the tree taken it's place, so Adeste Fideles can appear as if it's coming from the tree...

My wife and I will never split up over hifi. That would be waaaaaaaaay down her list :-D

A

Anonymous

snivilisationism said:
Seriously though. To the OP. Is it not possible to simply use the Hifi in a bedroom for now?

I'm lucky in that I use my TV system in a long living room, and the tree only slightly obscures the rear left speaker, and that my main listening position is at the PC! ha.

Seriously thought about that. If such a room was available... and convenient. But there wasn't such a place, except the computer room, but I do quite fine with my crappy computer system there, sounds ok for such a minimal investment, and I mostly play them at low volume. Still, I could have done it, but the stairs and the trouble just told me otherwise...

Since my last post, though, things evolved in an unexpected way. First, I had a notice that my speakers and sub would just be ready to ship in January. I received the amp and the CDp. So I decided to buy now the Monitor Audio M1 I intended to buy later for the kitchen. Found them just enough space on my TV unit at each end of the new 50". They sound a little more boxy than they should because they are sitting on the unit, but otherwise they're fine. I was quite happy to find that my room seems to sound neutral. I can distinctly hear the boxy sound, but I can also distinctively hear the music, and nothing seems out of place, nothing gets overplayed or lost, just a certain lack of bass, certainly not unexpected from such speakers. Kitchen use, I said... I know bass is precisely what I'll have to control the most when I'll get the real thing, so it is still a very partial test. But very satisfying, the interaction between the CD6004 and the A-S500 through Audioquest Golden Gate is gold for the money I spent. Can't wait to hear the real setup! :dance:

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
If it's a real tree, it might help to shake it a few times a day (make sure no one sees it though). The amount of needles on the ground might be a reason to remove the tree earlier than planned...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts