An interesting quotation

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

I wouldn't know. Do you want to tell me? And no, it wasn't about burn in. That's an add-in. At least, there are numerous examples of references to overpriced cables with no reference to burn-in whatsoever. So let's not try to shift the goalposts eh? But thanks, I'm glad to see you understand the rationale in why cables in the airline industry can't just be any old cable. Thanks.

John Duncan

the record spot said:
I wouldn't know. Do you want to tell me? And no, it wasn't about burn in. That's an add-in. At least, there are numerous examples of references to overpriced cables with no reference to burn-in whatsoever. So let's not try to shift the goalposts eh? But thanks, I'm glad to see you understand the rationale in why cables in the airline industry can't just be any old cable. Thanks.

Phools...

T

the record spot

Overdose said:
That's not Kapton though and the reason that Kapton is an issue (in some older aircraft), is that the insulation breaks down over time due to contact with moisture, this leads to cracking of the insulation at frequent intervals, allowing high temperature arcing outside of the insulation, aside from the shorting danger at this point, the high temperature of the arcing carbonises the insulation, therefore rendering it useless and actually turning it into a conductor.

Yes, Google's great eh? I look forward to numerous references from Ashley's other lapdogs in the near future all fully clued up on the above. I read the same thing too. Well, not that I understand it or anything...

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Every inch of it? No. I expect them to have processes in place to guarantee the specification of any roll of wire, and that to assure quality random testing is done at all stages of manufacture.

It was Professor hat that suggested testing of such sensitive wire as fitted to some aircraft systems took hundreds of hours. It doesn't, it is as you say, monitored during manufacture and batch sample tested to ensure conformity to spec.

T

the record spot

John Duncan said:
the record spot said:

Phools...

...and their money.

God, it's almost like spending £1300 every time a new pair of actives come out...

John Duncan

Overdose said:
John Duncan said:
Every inch of it? No. I expect them to have processes in place to guarantee the specification of any roll of wire, and that to assure quality random testing is done at all stages of manufacture.

It was Professor hat that suggested testing of such sensitive wire as fitted to some aircraft systems took hundreds of hours. It doesn't, it is as you say, monitored during manufacture and batch sample tested to ensure conformity to spec.

No, I read PH to say that aircraft require hundreds of hours as testing, but I'm a bit thick.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
For the benefit of Record Spot, this is the post that first mentioned aircraft wires and burn-in, in the same context. I have responded primarily to this.

Your wires appear to have become crossed somewhere between then and now. :)

professorhat said:
johngw said:
Would anyone set their foot in an aeroplane that wasn't designed and tested through rigourous engineering principles? Did they really burn-in all those cables - if not, how can the auto-pilot possbly arrive exactly at destination having travelled 10 hours at 600 mph?

And did the hospital really burn-in the cables to that ultra-sound machine properly?

I don't think many people are concerned about the different nuances in the sound of an aeroplane or ultra sound machine though. So I'm guessing they probably don't bother with it.

Not that I'm commenting on whether I believe burning in cables makes a difference to the sound or not, but I think you've not grasped what people are after when they do things like burning in cables.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Overdose said:
John Duncan said:

No, I read PH to say that aircraft require hundreds of hours as testing, but I'm a bit thick.

If the hundreds of hours of testing refer to designing and testing of prototypes through to completion, then yes. If it means any aircraft coming off the production line after this period, then no, a handful of hours testing and checking would be all.

No different to any automotive vehicle I would imagine, but certainly not anything akin to 'burnng in'.

T

the record spot

No wires rossed with me OD, I read John's post, but so that I understand you clearly, are you saying then, that you have no problems with audiophile cables, burn-in issues aside? You're otherwise okay with the notion of audiophile cables and they have a beneficial value, which might include an audible one thanks to their inclusion in a system. Or do you think that all cables are the same and they make no difference?

Just so I am clear here, because what I've read in the past from you and your ilk, would suggest that just about any cable over £10 gets a rough ride and once we get up to £100, then it's a ripoff perpetuated by the evil dealer network and the magazines. Just so I'm clear. And if that's the case, then can you explain why Boeing and Airbus make their own for their purposes. Ta. :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
John Duncan said:
the record spot said:

Phools...

...and their money.

God, it's almost like spending £1300 every time a new pair of actives come out...

Pot and kettle spring to mind.

How many components did you say you had lying around spare? You could have bought some decent kit with that. ;) :p

T

the record spot

Overdose said:

How many components did you say you had lying around spare? You could have bought some decent kit with that. ;) :p

I already have. Oh, I forgot, ADM owners look down their noses at phools like me. Me with my AV receiver and Apple gear for source material too.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
Overdose said:

I already have. Oh, I forgot, ADM owners look down their noses at phools like me. Me with my AV receiver and Apple gear for source material too.

For how long this time?

I don't personally have any problem with your gear at all, or anyones for that matter. It's an individual thing and if it works for you, great, as for Apple, well...

Toodle pip. I'm turning in.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow, what a truly fantastic thread, just read through the last few pages, keep up the good work.

Back on topic I was reminded of an unattributed quote that I saw the other week.

Never argue with idiots, they just bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

T

the record spot

The result you got was the communication you intended.--Werner Erhard.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
davedotco said:
I could have swore he said audiophile, after all he was speaking at the Heathrow Hi-fi show in 1973.

Which would have been remarkable in itself, given that he died in 1961.

Andrew, I am sure that you are to young to have seen Sir Thomas's appearance in 73 but I would have thought you would have remembered his appearance a decade later.

He was materialised in a circle of Shakti stones by the unholy trinity of Peter Belt, Branko Bozic and Russ Andrews, where he lectured those present in the error of their ways in all matters musical.

His description of the fate that befell the composer Stainer, at his own hands no less, stays with me to this day.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:

Touche. (Bl**dy iPad, no accents)

Though you have to admit that some of the idiocy on this threat is of a truly great standard.

Strangely the only thing of interest that I can remember about the cables in Boeing aircraft is that they were, at one time, installed by ferrets.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the record spot said:
Overdose said:

Oobuttheylovethose!

Paul.

davedotco said:
the record spot said:

Though you have to admit that some of the idiocy on this threat is of a truly great standard.

Strangely the only thing of interest that I can remember about the cables in Boeing aircraft is that they were, at one time, installed by ferrets.

If you want an é hold your finger down on the e button for a few seconds and it brings up options. Do the same on the .com button and it brings up a .co.uk short cut :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Paul. said:
davedotco said:
the record spot said:

If you want an é hold your finger down on the e button for a few seconds and it brings up options. Do the same on the .com button and it brings up a .co.uk short cut :)

Thanks.

I am having to use Mrs DDCs iPad while my MacBook is waiting for a new psu.

The bl**dy autocorrect is driving mr crazy, if you know how to turm it off it would be much appeciated.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Paul

Forget what I asked, it's in settings, switched it off which will no doubt get me grief from Mrs DDC but I can take it.

Thanks anyway.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Paul. said:
davedotco said:
the record spot said:

Most useful post of the thread. Not a high bar, mind.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
davedotco said:
His description of the fate that befell the composer Stainer, at his own hands no less, stays with me to this day.

I believe that Stainer suffered a very similar fate to that of the recently deceased actor James Gandolfini: neither could be described as having died at their own hand.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
davedotco said:

I believe that Stainer suffered a very similar fate to that of the recently deceased actor James Gandolfini: neither could be described as having died at their own hand.

Sadly he lived long enough to write "The Crucifixion" which I had to sing in several times (before my voice broke) and which is surely one of the most tedious pieces of music ever written.

Chris

PS The thread is going off the boil a bit guys.

PPS I hear that Boeing had to burn in those ferrets they used to put the wires in their aeroplanes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts