An Amp for everything!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
the record spot said:
And of course those integrated amps that are all box and precious little inside...!

...........and still sounding better than AV amps............that's a real achievement ;)

T

the record spot

Happy to let the uninformed follow their own path. You seem to be doing a fine job if it. :)

ajt71

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. Thanks so much for all your comments and opinions. Really helpful!

I did consider the NAD 3020D but wasn't sure it would have enough power to deal with the Q Acoustics 2050s.

I'm not sure I've got enough of an ear to really hear the difference between a decent AV Receiver and a normal 2-channel amp but one of the main things I was concerned about with the AV receiver route was whether, by using just two 'front' speakers, you'd lose some of the sound because of not using all 5.1 channels. Can someone let me know that? Hopefully they've built then so that depending on how many speakers are connected, the sound is spread between them. Also, with the 2050 floorstanding speakers I figured there would be enough bass response that I wouldn't need a separate subwoofer.

Thanks again for all the input. Happy New Year btw!

T

the record spot

Yes, you can specify in the settings the number of speakers, if you've bi-amped, etc.

patvorys

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello. My suggestion would be Cambridge Audio Minx-Xi amplifier with a powerful A/B class amplifier, that goes perfectly with Q Accoustics 2050i speakers. I use this kit at my home with Kimber Kwik 12 speaker cable and I couldn't be happier! The amplifier is a bit out of your price range, but I think it's totally worth it. Besides you can still find deal for under £500. ( 499,95 :grin: )

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the costs of adding the extra amps and dacs etc has to be a factor , but you've gotta move pretty fast if you want to pay full list price for an AV amp , seems there is a very nice sweet spot when ,to take TRS's amp as an example you could pay 600 quid for the 818 or a grand for the 828 , a month after the older version dries up you can get the 828 for £699 , and I guess in a few months when the 838 ? comes out it'll be £600 and this is on the high street where you can demo .

I'm betting the list price for a stereo amp is pretty firm for a 3 years or it's longer shelf life.

James

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If I was able to turn the clock back, I would have waited for the sales and bought a higher specced AVR with full pre-outs at a knock-down price.

For example - this AVR is now half price and just at the OP's limit of £500 http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-14118-yamaha-rxv1073-networked-3d-ready-av-receiver-with-airplay.aspx

For me, if you want better sound from the tv, an AVR with ARC and the opportunity to add a centre speaker at a later date gives the greatest options going forward.

T

the record spot

Bi-amped just means that you are using separate amplifiers to drive the tweeter and the bass driver. In a stereo amp the power is divided between both. By Bi-amping you're splitting up the duties and delivering more power while learning the load on the amps by using the additional amps available in an AV amplifier to so this. A more technical explanation will be along shortly!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
Bi-amped just means that you are using separate amplifiers to drive the tweeter and the bass driver. In a stereo amp the power is divided between both. By Bi-amping you're splitting up the duties and delivering more power while learning the load on the amps by using the additional amps available in an AV amplifier to so this. A more technical explanation will be along shortly!

In maybe simpler terms, in my case I have a 7.2 amp, and I currently only use 5.1. So I could either use the spare channels to run front height or back surround speakers, or I could bi-amp my front speakers - one set of cables to the tweeter and another set to the bass driver.

T

the record spot

Actually I suspect that's perhaps the main reason for 7.1 amps. To do just that.

And yes, better explanation!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Some Av amps are very good at music these day, but are on the expensive side.. With your budget you may be looking at 2 channel amps. Having said that I think people need to listen to the latest range of AV amps instead of just saying out dated stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts