Amps again! Marantz/Arcam

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I've just been looking at the Marantz PM7004 and Arcam's A18, both priced at just under £500. Wondering what the views would be for these with MA RS5s.

The one thing I'm wanting to change is the harsh treble, I know the Arcam would probably do this but would the Marantz do the same without possibly making everything else too calm aswell?

Nope - can't really help as regards the newer Marantzes. Sure the Arcam is IMHO a fabulous match with RS5s. The only Marantz amp I've heard with RS6s is the 7001... in a shop. To my ears the Marantz needed a slightly more forgiving speaker such as Epos, Dynaudio...

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks chebby, hopefully he can give some advice later.

I've also just seen that an ex-demo Marantz PM KI Pearl Lite might not be that much more than the other two, so maybe throw that into the equation too!

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks plastic penguin, I've been going through the forums and posted afew times myself about this (thanks for your help on my original post) and always come back to the Arcam or its always been an option to compare against something else! So I should probably settle at that for now, not even sure when I might actually go ahead and buy it yet!

roym90 said:
Thanks plastic penguin, I've been going through the forums and posted afew times myself about this (thanks for your help on my original post) and always come back to the Arcam or its always been an option to compare against something else! So I should probably settle at that for now, not even sure when I might actually go ahead and buy it yet!

Yes, if you keep coming back (or use Arcam as a benchmark) it means it has left an indelible mark. That's what I had with Arcam and, latterly, with Leema.

roym90 said:

Just seen this on the Bay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-Alpha-9-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-UK-MADE-AMP-MINT-CONDITION-/190590459450?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2c60139e3a

Cracking amp and slightly richer in character than the A18.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts