Amplifiers on or off

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Some things are clearly designed to be left on all of the time. My chord Quetest has no power switch of any kind and uses a 5-volt power wart so I don't mind leaving that on.

My amp would be a different kettle of fish, It's a class-A design so if I leave that running its drawing full power from the wall all of the time and will basically act as a space heater heating the room through.

Amplifiers, DACs, CD players and so on do sound better when they have been left on but it's not days, you're talking minutes for them to come on song.

Save the money and switch off what you can.

Is it better to leave a SS amp on permanently or switch off when not using ? Opinions please
I can’t think of any design that I’d leave fully on these days. Aside from anything else, it’s a waste of money.

Modern amps with standby I’d leave in standby overnight or for a weekend, but if we went away on holiday then completely off - and unplug if you’re worried about thunderstorms, for example.

25 years ago I had a Krell integrated amp. In standby that used around 40 watts, but I didn’t realise for at least a decade. No wonder it stayed warm! It still worked fine after twenty years, never serviced or repaired. But I think by law they can’t be so greedy nowadays. My 2016 Primare uses just 0.5 watts in standby!

matthewpianist

I turn off or put into standby.

The Audiolab goes into standby as the hard power switch is on the rear panel and I don't see any reason to turn that off unless going away for more than a weekend. If I'm using the Rotel A11 Tribute amp, the front panel switch is a hard one, so that goes off completely, as it does on the matching CD player. I don't actually use my remotes (which always put a product into standby), not by any decision, I just don't feel the need.

Strangely I don't find it makes any difference to the sound of the kit above, but it did with the NAIM NAIT 3R and 5i, and also with the Rega Elex-R.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts