Amplifier without a DAC

Brian2020

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
I have a FIIO K5 Pro DAC which is connected to my PC and I have a pair of KEF Q150 speakers. I'm looking for an AMP without a DAC. I only use it for listening to Hi-res music (not TV, movies etc).

I know that there are ways to bypass the onboard DAC in some of the AMPs, however, some it's not possible and for others it seems a little complex (code for I don't want to end up buying one that won't actually be able to be by-passed.

Can anyone recommend a amp that would be suitable? I'm looking to pay under £500.

Research is a wonderful thing. There are plenty of amps without dacs, just depends on what else you are likely to use as a source if any.
For those speakers anything with more than 30 watts per channel should suffice.

Brian2020

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
Thanks I have been researching for days with numerous tables. My problem is when I think about going for an Amp, I then find out it has a DAC and then often its not possible to bypass it, even though on some websites it says you can bypass (it usually refers to connections that the Amp doesn't actually have). Hence why I'm seeking some advice from people far more intelligent on the matter than me. I don't plan to use any other sources for input other than the PC. My DAC has a headphone socket which is the only other thing I would use.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Thanks I have been researching for days with numerous tables. My problem is when I think about going for an Amp, I then find out it has a DAC and then often its not possible to bypass it, even though on some websites it says you can bypass (it usually refers to connections that the Amp doesn't actually have). Hence why I'm seeking some advice from people far more intelligent on the matter than me. I don't plan to use any other sources for input other than the PC. My DAC has a headphone socket which is the only other thing I would use.
Researching for an amp without a DAC is a question of finding an amp without digital inputs, network connectivity, bluetooth or digital radio.

That should narrow it down.

matthewpianist

I can see his point about not paying for an internal dac when he already has one...

I can, however I'm not sure that adding a DAC really adds a huge amount to the price of an amp now, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to buy one without. The ones I've mentioned and also the NAD C316BEE V2.0 are still DAC-free however, and very good amps.

I have a FIIO K5 Pro DAC which is connected to my PC and I have a pair of KEF Q150 speakers. I'm looking for an AMP without a DAC. I only use it for listening to Hi-res music (not TV, movies etc).

I know that there are ways to bypass the onboard DAC in some of the AMPs, however, some it's not possible and for others it seems a little complex (code for I don't want to end up buying one that won't actually be able to be by-passed.

Can anyone recommend an amp that would be suitable? I'm looking to pay under £500.
What amps have you found yourself wanting?
do you have a few brands that take your fancy?

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Stop being a prat! The DAC isn't wanted because it confuses the OP. The exact reason is '' I don't want to end up buying one that won't actually be able to be by-passed.'' which can't happen. The Rotel is a perfect fit.
From my understanding, he wants the DAC to be turned off automatically when not used. For an amplifier with bluetooth, disabling the bluetooth module means loosing the pairing. So the bluetooth module probably cannot be disabled, which is a bigger worry than the DAC as far as interference concerns go.

Stop being a prat! The DAC isn't wanted because it confuses the OP. The exact reason is '' I don't want to end up buying one that won't actually be able to be by-passed.'' which can't happen. The Rotel is a perfect fit.
I am not being a prat. Confused the OP maybe but that allegation surely goes to those that are not answering his question.
Yes the Rotel is a good amp with sufficient power but it also has a Phono stage he doesn't need, a Bluetooth ability he doesn't need, and that's beside the DAC.
So why pay for these items?

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site

Can anyone recommend a amp that would be suitable? I'm looking to pay under £500.
My gut feeling would be NAD, Marantz and Rotel. You're properly always going to end up with a phono stage, DAC or Bluetooth added on but not all three or even two depending on the marketing pitch. But you can just ignore them by using RCA cables.

If you where willing to go 2nd hand I'd add Arcam Alpha 7,8 or 9. Or best imho a Delta 290, I always loved that amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts