Amplifier Upgrade Advice

Andre the Bat

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Amp upgrade advice. My current setup is as follows

Laptop, Audiolab Mdac, Cyrus Straight-line, Cyrus XPA Power, Bowers & Wilkins CM8, Chord Company Osyssey 2 Speaker cable, Chord Clearway Analogue RCA interconnects and Tacima CS947 mains conditioner.

I purchased a Cyrus Power from eBay and got for about £190 2 years ago to Bi Amp my speakers and have been impressed with the results. My last purchase was the Chord Clearway Analogue RCA interconnects which really made the treble sparkle and has so much air is the only way to describe it.

I feel that my system is a little thin, taught and forward although the bass is very tight but doesn’t go as low as I would like. I feel like the Cyrus, B&W combo is not really working well for me although I do love my speakers.

I think spending about £1500 to £2000 will give me a few options for new amp but would like some more advice on options.

Currently considering

Roksan Caspian M2

Moon 240i

Naim Nait XS 3 or 2

Or maybe even something like a Hegal H190.

Hoping maybe a few of you could give me some help and advice on my next purchase.

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
I use an original Roksan Caspian amp with m-series power amp and bass drops down really well and it beautifully controlled.

If I had the spare cash I would not hesitate in upgrading to the M2 Series.

I recently listened to a Naim Nait ( Not sure which model ) and again great sound but I just have this thing for the Caspian range.

I feel that my system is a little thin, taught and forward although the bass is very tight but doesn’t go as low as I would like. although I do love my speakers.

You should also look at Peachtree Audio's nova300 amp/DAC at a UK RRP of £2349. the nova300 will easily power your speakers and should re-address the imbalance of the system with its' rich, full bodied, punchy and dynamic presentation.

Last edited:
Reactions: knaithrover

Andre the Bat

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Would you recommend Just the M2 on its own or power to go with?
I use an original Roksan Caspian amp with m-series power amp and bass drops down really well and it beautifully controlled.

If I had the spare cash I would not hesitate in upgrading to the M2 Series.

I recently listened to a Naim Nait ( Not sure which model ) and again great sound but I just have this thing for the Caspian range.
I was thinking on the side of the M2. I have listened to a naim before now and was not impress by the low end. Once I have a short list I will have to go an have an audition.

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
Would you recommend Just the M2 on its own or power to go with?

I was thinking on the side of the M2. I have listened to a naim before now and was not impress by the low end. Once I have a short list I will have to go an have an audition.
I only used the amp without the power amp for maybe two years but the difference for me was quite noticeable, I would not run without a power amp now.

As you feel your system is a little thin sounding, I’d generally avoid Class D designs as they’ll exaggerate that - the only Class D I’ve heard that sounds more like Class AB is Bel Canto, who do the C5i integrated in your price bracket.

I haven’t heard the combination of Hegel and Bowers & Wilkins yet, but I’ve read a lot fi good things about the pairing, after people have changed over to Hegel. A H120 or H190 will also allow you to drop the mDAC too, so essentially dropping three boxes and replacing with one. I do think simplifying your system will bring benefits.

One thing I would recommend if you’re not doing it already is to plug any amplification directly into a wall socket rather than through any mains blocks conditioners.

I’ve never personally felt that Naim or Cyrus are a particularly good match for Bowers & Wilkins. I also find Roksan a little lacklustre when compared to equivalent Cyrus products, but that’s just my findings.

Andre the Bat

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
You should also look at Peachtree Audio's nova300 amp/DAC at a UK RRP of £2349. the nova300 will easily power your speakers and should re-address the imbalance of the system with its' rich, full bodies, punchy and dynamic presentation.
Never heard of this manufacturer and this is the very reason posted. Great to have options I will do some more research. thank you.

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
Never heard of this manufacturer and this is the very reason posted. Great to have options I will do some more research. thank you.

You're welcome (y)I use the nova500 as listed in my signature and fwiw, Peachtree Audio openly state that nova Series will easily drive the most difficult speakers like B&W (800 Series), Martin Logan, Wilson and more, allowing you to spend more on your speakers without sacrifice in sound quality.

Btw, Wi-Fi streaming modules for the nova150, nova300 and the nova500 should be available within the next month or so :)

D

Deleted member 116933

Always found plugging most things straight into the wall really helped boost performance i guess its because everything is getting the juice it needs. Found this especially true with naim components.

I'd also experiment with not just the amp but the source, you might find a proper cyrus dac a better fit or a chord qutest (from experience the bottom end of the qutest is very well defined and deep), and see if thats the culprit or even software on the computer, I found that audirvana really help propel my sound from laptop to another level and you get a month free with it.

I've found that amps at most give a little spice rather make drastic changes unless tubes are involved. But speakers have the biggest impact, it could be that those speaker no matter how much you like them just might not energise the room the way you like. Or perhaps adding a sub might do the trick?

But as mentioned the above (part from the sub) are just tiny little enhancements.

No amp is going to give you bass that your speakers/room can't reproduce. i'd forget the amp and look at speakers that are a better fit, OR start experimenting with the position of speakers first (its free). a lot can be gained from moving them about. Forget the rules just use them as guides and see what works, a lot can be gained moving the speaker 5cm here and there. If they sound best in your room 2cm from the wall then that how it is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts