Amplifier to pair with Monitor Audio RS8

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Suggestions appreciated! Just managed to get a pair of Monitor Audio RS8s so have an addition £200-300 to spend on an amplifier. Realise the budget isn't brilliant but was thinking it would be better suited to get used amps rather than under-performing new ones? Really not clued up on Hi-Fi stuff so need some advice on what would be best to pair these speakers with. Primary use is for Rnb/Hip Hop/Dance music and for movies/gaming - I'm not looking for 'loud noise' either. Cheers guys

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
APatel8:Anyone??

Try and get a Creek Evo for that budget. This goes very well with the Silver range - I had one with my RS6s. Creek have brought out a newer model this year so you may get one for £250ish. You won't beat it for the money.

A

Anonymous

Cambridge Audio 840A like this one for sale.

If you can find one, an Arcam Alpha 9 or ideally 10 integrated. None on ebay at the mo but keep looking. Great pairing so I hear!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Cambridge Audio 840A like this one for sale.

If you can find one, an Arcam Alpha 9 or ideally 10 integrated. None on ebay at the mo but keep looking. Great pairing so I hear!

I would have mentioned the 840A (as I have one) but it's over the OP's budget. OP, if you can afford it, it's a brilliant amp.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:If you can find one, an Arcam Alpha 9 or ideally 10 integrated. None on ebay at the mo but keep looking. Great pairing so I hear!

I'd second that, an Arcam Alpha's warm sound should suit the more dynamic, perhaps clinical RS8's to give you something inbetween the two.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd agree with the above as well.

Arcam Alpha 9 integrated
Arcam Alpha 10 integrated
NAD C352 integrated

The above will all work very well with the M/A RS8's and would drive them well with a solid soundstage.

IMO, having owned M/A speakers before, with the above amps but also demo'd with C/A amps as well, I'd stay away from C/A as they're too clinical sounding and the treble can be too forward at times.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the suggestions guys - will definitely have a look at the Acram's!

Few friends of mine have the Rotel RA-03 amp nd swear by it.. offers 70 watts per channel which I'm guessing is more than enough to power the RS8s? (I might be completely wrong on that)

Others that have been suggested to pair with this, if anyone has any opinions, include:

Harmon Kardon HK-3390/3490
Primare A20 MK II

A

Anonymous

Anywhere you guys can suggest to look for used amps or maybe recommend new ones for my budget (£250-300).

I really did want a Rotel RA-03 but it is impossible to find and has seemingly been discontinued a long while ago!

A

Anonymous

APatel8:
Anywhere you guys can suggest to look for used amps or maybe recommend new ones for my budget (£250-300).

I really did want a Rotel RA-03 but it is impossible to find and has seemingly been discontinued a long while ago!

ebay is always a good bet for RA-03s, there aren't any on right now, but they crop up fairly often and sice they're not the newest version (RA-06) they don't fetch a high price. Personally I'd look for a Cambridge Audio 840A if you can stretch to a new one at Richer Sounds, or maybe ebay again. But try to borrow your friend's Rotel, if it's geographically viable, because in terms of bang for buck, a second hand RA-03 is a bargain, you could also look for an RB-03 power amp to go with it to give the RS8s some oomph.

A

Anonymous

I used to own the MA RS1s and a Rotel RA03. I auditioned the RS6 and RS8 when buying them both. I would suggest that the bass is a little uncontrolled with the RS6 and 8 powered by this amp. It might just be I have high expectations but I think the amp has a bit of colour and bloom down under. If you go for a Rotel then buy the power to go with it, as suggested; sound advice.

A

Anonymous

Would any Music Fidelity or Pioneer amps be suitable to pair with the RS8s for a budget of around £300-500?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
APatel8:Would any Music Fidelity or Pioneer amps be suitable to pair with the RS8s for a budget of around £300-500?

Music Fidelity amps are supposed to work very nicely with the RS speakers. However, as I've mentioned before, please check out the Creek Evo for this kind of spend - it has plenty of power and offers controlled, tight bass with very accurate, believable vocals.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:APatel8:Would any Music Fidelity or Pioneer amps be suitable to pair with the RS8s for a budget of around £300-500?Music Fidelity amps are supposed to work very nicely with the RS speakers. However, as I've mentioned before, please check out the Creek Evo for this kind of spend - it has plenty of power and offers controlled, tight bass with very accurate, believable vocals.

Thanks mate, I have been looking at that and looking for good deals on it. Anywhere you would suggest looking? Cheapest I'm able to find it right now is around £480ish and may as well get a better amp if I'm going to spend that much. Also had a look at the A8 as suggested but it isn't the first time I've heard people say they say sound too clinical when paired with Monitor Audio gear so it has put me of a little.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts