Amplifier/System upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
At present my system comprises of the following equipment: Denon PMA-700ae Amp, Denon DCD-700ae CD, Denon TU1800DAB, Monitor Audio RS6 & QED speaker cable. When I first purchased this system I was initially drawn to the clarity and general bright sound. However..how times change..I now find the overall sound a little too harsh, especially on the treble even though I still appreciate the general clarity I find (especially at slightly higher volumes) the overall sound becomes a little brash.

I have now decided to replace my Denon Pma-700 amp and would kindly appreciate advice on the following ideas:

a: To upgrade current Amp to Denon PMA-1500ae (after some good reviews, but would I end up with the same faults as present?)
b: To Replace Amp With Rotel RA-05 or RA-06 and keep existing denon cd & Tuner. Before I purchased my Denon set-up was equally impressed with the rotel's excellent sound. Just a little cautious of how compatible the rotel would be with the Denon equipment?

Any suggestions or assistance would be most appreciated, as mentioned before I do like a generally bright detailed sound, just would be so much better if it was that little more controlled. Generally listen to music as such from the likes of Sting, Jack Johnson, Snow patrol so to find an solution to make the most of this would be great.

A

Anonymous

I'm not familiar with the PMA-700 but but my old PMA-255 was pretty bright in character. Partnered with some QED speaker cable it was unlistenable in my opinion. I changed it for Chord Carnival Silver Screen and was much happier. The few MA speakers I've heard have been on the bright side as well. As you've said you might be better off auditioning some different makes of amp with slightly different presentation.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I can tell you that your music tastes are pure Arcam territory, and you will not only get an amazing sounding system with plenty of detail but there will be no harshness at all. Some very very good bargains around at the moment too - a new CD player and amp for £800, less than half retail price as it's the end of the model line.

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

The comments about the brightness of QED speaker cable are, in my limited experience, totally founded. As an interim measure that will cost mere pennies, try some Linn K20 speaker cable. It's not pretty, but it seems to be less squeaky than QED. The best bit is that it costs almost nothing second hand.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Every component that you have borders on brightness, so I can easily imagine what the cumulative effect might be. I don't think you can change anything by changing the cables alone. You might have to reconsider the speakers first.

A

Anonymous

I have just bought the Arcam cd192, just wondering how good was it and does it need much running in?

Sorry to nick the thread!

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your kind advice, do you have any particular model of Arcam amplifier in mind that you would recommend? Also would it be worthwhile simply changing my Amp to Arcam and using existing speakers/Denon cd or will this not show the true abilities of the Arcam amp?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Denon's PMA-1500ae is weightier and more refined than your current amplifier. With regards to Arcam, you may find them plodding compared to the larger Denons or other more 'up and go' products, I do, but they certainly wont fatigue. I find Rotels unrefined, especially the 06. Detached bass and so so treble. Try Cambridge Audios original 840A which is now sold for £500, seems to tick all your boxes though I have'nt personally heard it. A lot of power, refined and reasonably transparent seems to be the common concensus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts