Amplifier/speaker combination system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice - I'm looking at getting an amplifier and speakers, not really bothered about a cd player as will just use my ipod. However, I know NOTHING about hi-fi separates so could anyone recommend something in the range of £150-200. 

Not too bothered about getting a new amp as I know some of the older ones perform just as well, if not better, but don't really know what I'm looking for on ebay! If anyone has some suggestions love to hear them! Cheers 

Also, can you use an amplifier for connecting to dvd/tv or would I need a receiver? Is it worth getting a subwoofer too or just speakers? 

A

Anonymous

Well you're spoilt for choice on ebay, even for the modest budget you have. Can you be more specific into brands you like/music being played?

You will be able to connect your tv to the amp via RCA cable, the only real reason to get a receiver is if you're going to want surround sound at any point.ÿ

A

Anonymous

One suggestion would be a used Rotel RA04 or 05 (same as 04 with a remote) with a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 9 speakers. Very enjoyable sound.

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks for the reply.

ÿMusic I listen to mostly is reggae, electronic, folk - erm so basically everything apart from r'n'b, garage, new hiphop etc! Haven't really got a specific brand that I'm after, open to suggestions! I'd probably just be looking at getting an amp then as can't see myself going for surround sound anytime soon.ÿÿ

A

Anonymous

You'll struggle to get that Rotel/Wharfedale combo for £150!! if you can tell me where!

Maybe look at a second hand Nad amp and Mission/Q Acoustics speakers?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Haha, yeah, I thought it was per component! Never make assumptions...

A

Anonymous

Yeah had a look at the nad c370 amp, would that be a good one to pair with the speakers? Is it better to get a amp with a higher watt output than the speakers?ÿ

A

Anonymous

If you can afford a nad with the Diamond 9 that should be OK

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the advice, becoming slightly more clearer. One last thing................are there certain cables that are worth getting to enhance sound quality?

A

Anonymous

These are comparable with interconnects of up to around £50, I think he does an Ipod connection too.

fjones101:Cheers for the advice, becoming slightly more clearer. One last thing................are there certain cables that are worth getting to enhance sound quality?

fjones101. . .I'm not sure why you've started two posts for the same subject. Anyway, go with the Wharfedale/Nad combination, the Diamonds are the best speaker [amongst the best] at that price-point.

A

Anonymous

Final question - which would be the best option with the wharfdale speakers?-

Pioneer SA520

Technics SU-A700MK3

NAD C370ÿ

fjones101:

Final question - which would be the best option with the wharfdale speakers?-

Pioneer SA520

Technics SU-A700MK3

NAD C370

The heart says go with Pioneer but the head says Nad. I know from personal experience the old Pioneer stuff waws mustard. The Nad is good for the money, but I've never had the opportunity to compare.

TRENDING THREADS