Question Amplifier for Elac Debut F5.2?

sedo

May 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum and new to this world too. I've managed to put apart some money (a little to be true) and i want to get my first setup in order to listen to music. I listen to a lot of genres but mostly jazz, and the support would be vinyl. I'm buying everything used (i live in Rome) as i don't have much money and still would like to get something out of them. Everything would take place in a 20 square meter room, on the long side of the rectangle (5x4), without much space between the wall and where i would put the speakers and co.
So i chose (still did not buy, so if you have any advice would be kind to let me know):

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit
Elac Debut F5.2

And i'd like to know what amp i could use for those (i'm choosing the towers cause i don't have any shelf or support). I was thinking about the Marantz PM 6006, could it be a good choice? (impedence and power wise is ok?) Also i'd like to know if you think that the towers are a bit too much for the space and if the Onkyo A-9010 could drive them.

EDIT: How the Elac i mentioned above compare to the Fyne Audio F302?

Thank you very much for your time spent into reading this.
Have a good day!
Edo

Last edited:
Reactions: MUSICRAFT
Welcome to the forum.
Either of those amplifiers will be fine with the the Elacs although they are not the most efficient.
If it was me I would go for the Fyne Audio F302 but that's me you understand. They are more efficient and should be easy to place.
It is extremely difficult recommending speakers to anyone as we have no idea regarding listening room layout and many other things.
Normally I would always recommend an audition of all devices but realise that in the current circumstances that may not be an option.
Of the amplifiers I would go with the Marantz if it were my money as I believe the inbuilt phonological preamp to be better.

Reactions: sedo

sedo

May 9, 2020
Visit site
Thank you Sir!
As you said, the circumstances doesn't help right now.
For the speakers i think i'll go with the Elac. Although i'm tempted by the F302, i found a good deal here where i live about the Elac's.
So for the amp, could you explain me pls why you say not the most efficient and if you could tell me some amp you consider more adequate please?
Thank you!
Have a good day.

rainsoothe

Thank you Sir.
Anyway you would suggest another amp beside the Marantz PM 6006?
The Marantz would be a great partner for the Fynes at least, and I really prefer it to the Onkyos or whatever. If it fits your budget, try for a used Arcam A19.

As for tt, in this price bracket I prefer the Audio Technica LP5x (or the LP 5, but the LP5x has a newer, better cart and 78 speed if that's important to you). If it has to be a belt drive, I prefer Rega to Project, but Project are ok as well - and so are Music Hall.

sedo

May 9, 2020
Visit site
Thank you very much Sir.
I just checked and the Arcam A19 is a bit toop expensive for my pockets.
As for the Project, i decided to look for a Rega Planar 2 used indeed.

Update for AI ears:

I've found a Marantz PM 6006 at 350, maybe i could get it for some less. As for now, buying the Elac's, the Rega Planar 2 with the upgrade kit and the Marantz at the price mentioned it would be a total of 1200, which is a bit over what i thought initially (that was 1k) but still i could achieve it.
What do you think?

Last edited:
Thank you very much Sir.
I just checked and the Arcam A19 is a bit toop expensive for my pockets.
As for the Project, i decided to look for a Rega Planar 2 used indeed.

Update for AI ears:

I've found a Marantz PM 6006 at 350, maybe i could get it for some less. As for now, buying the Elac's, the Rega Planar 2 with the upgrade kit and the Marantz at the price mentioned it would be a total of 1200, which is a bit over what i thought initially (that was 1k) but still i could achieve it.
What do you think?
It should be a fine system, although I admit to know nothing about those Elacs.

sedo

May 9, 2020
Visit site
Couldn't get the Marantz PM 6006 so i'm thinking about the PM 6005. What do you think? Are there major differences? Otherwise would you suggest other amplifiers? (talking about 300-350 euros looking in the second hand market).
Thank you!
Have a good day.

rainsoothe

They're almost the same. The 6006 has one extra optical input and better feet, and that's about it I think. By the way, for jazz, Yamaha amps are also nice - in case you find a AS 501. If you don't need the dac, you can also consider the AS500 - which is the same amp, but without the DAC.

sedo

May 9, 2020
Visit site
Would you suggest me the cables please? I was looking for the Audioquest Golden Gate as signal cables and i'm not really sure about the speakers cables.
Thank you very much.
Have a good day.

Would you suggest me the cables please? I was looking for the Audioquest Golden Gate as signal cables and i'm not really sure about the speakers cables.
Thank you very much.
Have a good day.
Try looking on this forum at cable threads. You will end up being very confused. Little need for overly expensive cables just buy any within your budget that are well constructed and you'll be fine.

Would you suggest me the cables please? i'm not really sure about the speakers cables.

Also consider using basic 79 strand speaker cables. Fwiw, i am using 79 strand speaker cables with the components listed in my signature. Imo, 79 strand should be more than good enough for your system.

My advice is to save time and your money (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: sedo and Al ears

sedo

May 9, 2020
Visit site
Try looking on this forum at cable threads. You will end up being very confused. Little need for overly expensive cables just buy any within your budget that are well constructed and you'll be fine.

Thank you Sir.

Yes, i would suggest other amplification. If you're ok with used or discontinued in the second hand market then i'll highly recommend Rotel's RA-1062 which you should be able to find around your budget.

How would you compare the Rotel RA-1062 to the Arcam FMJ A19 suggested by rainsoothe above?

Also consider using basic 79 strand speaker cables. Fwiw, i am using 79 strand speaker cables with the components listed in my signature. Imo, 79 strand should be more than good enough for your system.

My advice is to save time and your money (y)

Thank you very much Sir.

Also i'd like to understand, if an amplifier is good for 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers it should be good for 6 ohm speakers too right? For example, talking about the Arcam FMJ A19, i've found only how it works (in terms of power) with 4 ohm impedence speakers and 8 ohm. Does it mean it's not meant to work with 6 ohm impedence speakers or just that they're more unusual?

Thank you Sir.

How would you compare the Rotel RA-1062 to the Arcam FMJ A19 suggested by rainsoothe above?

Thank you very much Sir.

Also i'd like to understand, if an amplifier is good for 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers it should be good for 6 ohm speakers too right? For example, talking about the Arcam FMJ A19, i've found only how it works (in terms of power) with 4 ohm impedence speakers and 8 ohm. Does it mean it's not meant to work with 6 ohm impedence speakers or just that they're more unusual?
It will happily drive 6 ohm speakers. It will drive most speakers you are likely to be considering, just some better than others.

sedo

May 9, 2020
Visit site
It will happily drive 6 ohm speakers. It will drive most speakers you are likely to be considering, just some better than others.

Thank you Sir.

I doubt that you'll find a second hand pair of Fyne Audio loudspeakers in Rome. They only came out 18 months ago.

Yeah but as for the price was similar i mentioned them, of course not referring to the second hand market.
Have a good day.

Rotel RA-1062

Also i'd like to understand, if an amplifier is good for 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers it should be good for 6 ohm speakers too right? 4 ohm impedence speakers and 8 ohm. Does it mean it's not meant to work with 6 ohm impedence speakers or just that they're more unusual?

You're welcome (y)

The lower the impedance the more resistance the speaker will present to an amplifier. Therefore a 6 ohms load will be easier on an amp then a 4 ohms load and an 8 ohms load will easier then a 6 ohms load and much easier then a 4 ohms load.

Anyway like i recently said the RA-1062 has 60w of current rich power rather then just fancy brochure current starved paper watts. Fwiw, the RA-1062 was partly designed with the big and resistive B&W 801’s. In comparison to the 801's the Elac's and the Fyne's will be a walk in the park for the RA-1062.

Reactions: sedo and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts