Amplifer Upgrade for Tannoy 611?

Dank_Vapours

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey there, just as a foreword:

Currently running a set of Tannoy 611s from a A&R Cambridge Audio A60 Integrated Amplifer/DacMagic XS. Retro setup for a 20 year old student I know... I love the speakers, grew up around Tannoys and love the bass from the 4 8" drivers, so they won't be changed for a while! But I'm getting clipping at high-er volumes, as well as high treble becoming a bit harsh. Is that normal for a 40W nominal and 60W punch/peak output?

I tend to run high quality spotify through the DacMagic at a few clicks off max volume, and change the volume on the A60, is that the right way to do things? Played with REW EQ to even out the frequency response (turns out my room/speakers resonate horrifically at 32Hz) and it's sounding just the way I like. However, since the A60 is actually my fathers and I've deprived him of his Gale bookshelf system back home, I think it's time I splashed out some more and got myself an amplifer.

I think I have a preference for powerful in the low-end amps, with a warm sound. Anything similar to the A60, but with more power/built in DAC.

I'm normally listening to metal/rock, with the occasional bit of everything else under the sun. I think a "bright" sounding amp may bring out the worst in the speakers, if the harsh sounds at high volume is the speakers, not the amp... I personally find nothing ruins a song like sibilance and overly loud cymbals.

TLDR:

So, in summary, budget of under £500, warm sounding, punchy bass, more than 40W per channel. 2nd hand suggestions welcome if a good bargain

matthewpiano

I suspect you would like the Exposure 1010. Try to find somewhere you can listen to this amp, preferably with your Tannoys. It is extremely capable and I've heard it driving some quite expensive speakers with ease. I liked it so much I'm picking mine up next week.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Dank_Vapours said:
Hey there, just as a foreword:

Currently running a set of Tannoy 611s from a A&R Cambridge Audio A60 Integrated Amplifer/DacMagic XS. Retro setup for a 20 year old student I know... I love the speakers, grew up around Tannoys and love the bass from the 4 8" drivers, so they won't be changed for a while! But I'm getting clipping at high-er volumes, as well as high treble becoming a bit harsh. Is that normal for a 40W nominal and 60W punch/peak output?

I tend to run high quality spotify through the DacMagic at a few clicks off max volume, and change the volume on the A60, is that the right way to do things? Played with REW EQ to even out the frequency response (turns out my room/speakers resonate horrifically at 32Hz) and it's sounding just the way I like. However, since the A60 is actually my fathers and I've deprived him of his Gale bookshelf system back home, I think it's time I splashed out some more and got myself an amplifer.

I think I have a preference for powerful in the low-end amps, with a warm sound. Anything similar to the A60, but with more power/built in DAC.

I'm normally listening to metal/rock, with the occasional bit of everything else under the sun. I think a "bright" sounding amp may bring out the worst in the speakers, if the harsh sounds at high volume is the speakers, not the amp... I personally find nothing ruins a song like sibilance and overly loud cymbals.

TLDR:

So, in summary, budget of under £500, warm sounding, punchy bass, more than 40W per channel. 2nd hand suggestions welcome if a good bargain

For new equipment your budget is insufficient. Minimum I would suggest is a Creek A50 with add on DAC module.

If it was my set up I would buy the most potent power amplifier I could afford and run it off the Dacmagic plus.

I do not usually suggest buying used, you have no idea of the history of the product, but somewhere like Hi-fi Wigwam might be worth a look.

Dank_Vapours

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
@mathew Thanks for the suggestion, I've just read good things about the exposure series for rock music. If i get a chance to audition one (not sure there's any where in sheffield though) i'll definitely consider.

@dave I'd never considered running the DacMagic straight into a power amp. I suppose it's just outputting a more powerful version of the analogue input, which is what the A60 is doing now anyway right... However, I have a DagMagic XS, a teenie tiny headphone DAC/amplifier which was still miles better than the onboard audio card in my laptop, but it's not the DacMagic Plus. Creek A50 sure is shiny, but like you say, out of my budget. If I may ask, is there really nothing new under £500 with a smooth warm sound and a >40W per channel output?

Yamah AS500 has been described as having a "bright" sound.

NAD 3020 is a 'mere' 30W.

What do Denons/Marantz/Onkyo sound like? any particular characteristic associated with those brands?

How about the Arcam FMJ series?

I know alot of this boils down to personal preference, but I don't have access to a car and lugging the Tannoy 611s a mile and a half down to richer sounds for an audio session in the middle of winter isn't really feasible. If I could get a short list together of viable amps, maybe they'd let me try em out in a home demo. Is that likely? Anyone have any experience with richer sounds policy in this scenario?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
My mistake, you were quite clear in what you said, I just didn't read carefully......... :wall:

To my mind the issue is with the 'old' A&R 60 amplifier. It has a sound that is rather different from modern amplifiers, which will sound rather forward or forthright compared to what you are used too.

A lot depends on whether you can adapt to the sound of these kinds of amplifiers, personally I find that very difficult and would always spend a little more for the Creek or something similar and will usually recommend this choice to anyone who asks.

I do understand the economic realities, so understand if that is not possible, but you could try and look for a used or ex-dem unit and continue with your existing dac.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts