Question amp

Chris2021

Mar 7, 2021
Visit site
I am using Marantz PM 6004 amp. Was looking to upgrade to Marantz PM 8006, the local HiFi dealer suggested the Musical Fidelity M5 series, which I find gives a more neutral sound.
The hifi dealer also suggested he has a second hand Musical Fidelity A 3.2 at one third the price. The A 3.2 is about 20 year old Amp.

Any advice on the above? I mostly listen to soft rock and 80s music.

Thanks

You might want to check with distributors Henley how serviceable the old MF is, as you’re obviously taking a risk with an old ‘un, however nice it sounds. Will the dealer give you 3 months warranty, and/or a home trial?

What is the rest of your system?

Reactions: Chris2021

Tinman1952

Find another dealer, one who's interested in what you actually want rather than what he is trying to sell.
This is very true. I remember going to a large dealer in Birmingham years ago to try a Marantz KI amplifier….and he pulled a face and only wanted to sell me a Naim Nait amp! 😣
If I remember correctly the MF A3.2 was roughly £1,000 when it was launched. Quality dual mono design with an excellent preamp section and power supply regulation….but I would also be concerned about getting any faults rectified…

I am using Marantz PM 6004 amp. Was looking to upgrade to Marantz PM 8006, the local HiFi dealer suggested the Musical Fidelity M5 series, which I find gives a more neutral sound.
The hifi dealer also suggested he has a second hand Musical Fidelity A 3.2 at one third the price. The A 3.2 is about 20 year old Amp.

Any advice on the above? I mostly listen to soft rock and 80s music.

Thanks
can we assume then that the local dealer doesn't stock the 8006?
If you are determined to get one find a dealer that will let you audition one.
your dealer may find the Musical Fidelityw more neutral but it doesn't mean you will.
don't buy anything without auditioning yourself, preferably at home with the rest of your kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts