Amp w GS10? AA Puccini Settanta I, Arcam FMJ A18, ...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Joined the forum after some voyeuring now I am actively looking for a amp for my just bought speakers MA GS10's.

Looking to connect an optical (if needed via DAC) and a phono to the amp. My options are now (all 2nd hands): AA Puccini Settanta I, NAD C372, onkyo 9755, Arcam Diva AVR200, rotel ra 05 or Arcam A85.

Different leagues, but also different ages.

Who can remove highlight ones off the list?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Or a new:
NAD C326BEE

Marantz PM 7004
Or an Advance Acoustics MAX 150.

As you might notice I am slowly downing in the options , help is much appreciated while matiching my first system.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the first tip! Was also leaning towards the AA. Alternative # 999 is a: Arcam FMJ a19, 2nd hand, actually cheaper than the AA and considerably younger.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You just keep adding to your list until you really get confused.

Just pick a low distortion amplifier with the facilities you need from a reputable manufacturer. My money would probably go to an AV receiver for niceties such as re-nameable inputs, DAC's etc..

regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Heeg said:
Thanks for the first tip! Was also leaning towards the AA. Alternative # 999 is a: Arcam FMJ a19, 2nd hand, actually cheaper than the AA and considerably younger.

I suppose it comes down to the condition of the AA and what your priorities are:

- Ultimate sound quality

- Versatility

Hi Heeg

NAD's C370 and Rotel's RA-1062 are also worth considering. Fwiw, i also found the C370 and RA-1062 to pair well with Monitor Audio's GS10's
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Haha aware of it, so shorter list:

- AA Puccini Settanta I (9yr's),
- Arcam FMJ A18 (3 yr's), cheaper than the rest?!
- Arcam Diva AVR200 (6 yr's), receiver w optical
- Marantz PM 7004/ 6004 (new)

Is to be matched with the GS10, Phono player, and if needed a DAC.

Don't mind age, but find it hard to make an estimate of risk/ loss of quality that it can bring.

Thanks!

T

the record spot

Not quite sure what your budget is, but I'd pass on the Onkyo you mentioned and go instead for the Onkyo 933 instead. Also, check out the likes of Sony's TA-F630ESD, Pioneer's A757 amp (or if you can get them the top end of Sony's and Pioneer ranges, both of which are terrific) and although I've just had it a short time, Harman's HK6850 is one powerhouse amp that'll grace any shortlist. Highly recommended.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Just pick a low distortion amplifier with the facilities you need from a reputable manufacturer.
Yup, spot on

drummerman said:
My money would probably go to an AV receiver for niceties such as re-nameable inputs, DAC's etc..

regards
Mine wouldn't! Most AV amps are all bling but sound like s**t. Better off with the NAD, an excellent amp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
AltruisticLemon, many cheaper AV receivers are held back by poor power supplies. Something usually has to give and as it is something you can't see, its where cuts are made first. Arcam are not one of them. - Move above £1000 new and you'll find receivers that measure as well as dedicated 2 channel amplifiers, some better in addition to having a multitude of facilities your average stereo amplifier doesn't.

Personally I am using a slightly worked-on Sony STR DB930, an older model in 2 channel mode (I'm not into AV), in preference to either of my Denon amplifiers.

Ignore good receivers at your peril

regards

A

Anonymous

The winning choice has become`ra-1062 + MF - DAC. A high-end receiver was not on the market for the same price and this rocks. Thanks for all the tips!

gregvds

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Having the AA puccini SE no remote feeding Rega RS5, and finding already the sound beautiful, I'd recommend the AA settanta. It has the reputation to better the old Puccini and puccini SE in all domain. AA does not have the reputation to be the most neutral, nor to be the most revealing, but instead the are really melodious, euphonic, the music is really enjoyable through them. If buying second hand, wouldn't it possible to test it first with your speakers?

All the best,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts