Amp upgrade worth it ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I will try to keep it short and sweet so here goes. I have rotel ra04 se, marantz cd6002 and dali lektor 2 speakers. I want to upgrade the system and I would like to ask if anyone has put midrange amps like naim nait 5i or roksan kandy k2 into a system simular to mine and had worth while gains in sound quality. I know better speakers might get the best result but I feel that the rotel is lacking alot in many areas. I tested a audiolab 8000s in the same system and the rotel was put to shame, imo

You have a few options to play with: You've already mentioned the Audiolab put the Rotel to shame. There's your answer. Also I'd definitely try different speakers, such as B&W 685 or maybe EB Acoustics EB1s. The other option is keep the Rotel and add a power amp which will give extra heft. I'm a Rotel fan (most amps anyway), and I'd look at speakers first.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As PP mentions, you've already answered your own question.

Speakers can only perform as well as the amplifier allows them too - it must provide enough current for the speaker to respond to sudden transients, and it must grip the speaker well enough to stop and start bass notes crisply. A speaker, when driven properly is allowed to perform as it was intended to - without restriction in any way - yes, it may then reveal some of the speaker's inabilities, but this is a drawback of budget designs. You may be surprised at what your Lektors are capable of.

The Audiolab, when warmed up properly, is an excellent performer, as is the Naim, and should be on anyone's shortlist. As good as your Rotel is (it needs a good hour or so warm up period), these amplifiers stand head and shoulders above budget designs. These two are my favourite amplifiers under £1k, but it would be worth you trying the K2 as well as it has many admirers.

A

Anonymous

I'd go with the Naim suggestion. That also gives you the option of upgrading the speakers, if you think that's necessary, to something much better at some point in the future - Neat, Totem, etc

A

Anonymous

Anyone owned or tried both the nait 5i and the audiolab 8000s. I found the audiolab really high piched, like the treble irritates you and makes long listening unbearable. I think the term is bright but Im not sure since Im still abit new to all this. Would the nait 5i have the same problem ?

matthewpiano

Try auditioning a Arcam A18 with your speakers. They make a very good match until you are ready to upgrade the Lektors. Then, when funds allow, the Arcam is more than good enough to power some very good speakers as I am now finding out with my current auditioning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts