Amp upgrade - where next....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everybody,

I am currently using the Cambridge 640 Amp and CD Player in V2 guise, and have MA BR2 speakers. I have Chord crimson interconnects and Chord silver screen speaker cable.

I am after a bit more from the amp, and would welcome your thoughts. I would spend upto about £500 and am up for second hand (if this means I will get more for my money). I listen to all sorts of music, so it would have to cover all bases.

The speakers would be next upgrade wise, but this will not happen fopr a year or so...

Cheers,

Phil

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Which models are the good ones on there? I have not seen any write up's on these before, so what price do they usually go for?

Phil

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
For that kind of money I'd be tempted to opt for myryad's Z140. For me it bridges the gap between the Rega Brio and cyrus8/naim nait. No obvious shortcomings and easy to match with most speakers. Different to the usual suspects ie. Nad/Audiolab/Marantz and better too. Looks nice as well. Consider Creeks EVO as well if you need more power (why would you?) but its not as even handed nor as nice to listen to.

A

Anonymous

Has anybody else got any ideas?

I might have to drop my limit to around 300-350, as the bloody clutch on my car has just decided to break this morning....................

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Looking at the list of your system they should gel well together. be careful that your new amp could off balance the sound and you might end up have to buy a new cd player too!

£350 of my money, 2nd hand, will buy MF A3.2 or Exposure 3010. If you want a new amp then I would stick to the CA. good luck

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Why dont you go for a NAD C352 AMP the new C355 has just come out so you can pick up a bargain on a C352 they retail at around £350 but you can get them for around £270 thata a bargain and must be one of the best sub £500 amps around you will need to spend over £500 to better it...

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Would the NAD be that much of an upgrade to my CA 640, as it is in the same sort of price bracket?

Also, how different would the sound change if I did go to the NAD?

Phil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts